Just Engaged and Proposals

Proposal Ideas.... Suggestions Please!!!!

So I would really like to propose to my girlfriend this upcomming December! She is the love of my life and I want to do everything that I can to give her a romantic surprise proposal. I have two ideas that I have in mind. I would like anyones impression or suggestions. They would be greatly appreciated! 
Idea number one: I have her mother in on it with me. My girlfriend love shows (plays and such). She especially loves the play Jersey Boys. I will have her mother ask her if she wants to go to the last day the play is playing in December for a mother daughter fun trip to New York. We live in Colorado and don't get out east much. I'll also buy tickets to the show and get isle seats directly behind her and make sure and walk in after her. During her favorite song in the world "cant take my eyes off of you" by Frankie Valli I'll tap her on the shoulder walk out into the isle and get down on one knee and propose during her favorite song during this Broadway show. This proposal idea has the element of surprise, long distance, she is dressed up, her mom can take a quick photo or two, and all that jazz. However my concern is that people around will be unhappy and/or we won't be able to immediately celebrate (because we are in a theater). But I think its pretty cool.
Idea number two: Everything from the above happens however she goes to the show with just her mother and then her mother and her leave the play. Her mother would then suggest that she heard this place to go to then she will be taken to Central Park in the middle of winer with lights everywhere. I will be there early and be under some random tree or something. And her mom will tell her to go over and check that tree/something out and she will be there in a second (take a fake phone call,.... etc). I'll have a generater from a home depot or supply/construction store with me. I'll have that tree/something strung up in lights (Christmas time) and plug them in as she is walking up with speakers and I will sing her that same Frankie Valli song "so good to be true" and get down on one knee in the snow under the Christmas lights. The elements that this posses that the other does not is that we will be able to immediately celebrate, we can go off to dinner and experience the park and the view of the city at night, while still being dressed up, have a surpirse factor, have some good family time with her favorite show, and still have the mom around to take a picture. 
Let me know what you all think you are the pros and I respect any information, questions, or concerns. 
Thanks so much!

Re: Proposal Ideas.... Suggestions Please!!!!

• I think the first one is adorable, but you're right that people might be pissed if their show is interrupted. And depending on her reaction, it is going to be a disruptive to the performers as well. So if you want to to one of these grand gestures, I would go with Central Park. Are you and her mother both familiar with Central Park? Is her mother going to be able to find where you are to get her to you if you are just under some "random" tree? Are you allowed to string up lights in the trees there?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I love #2, but those generators tend to be loud, and you can't bring it on a plane I don't think.  What about battery operated candles in the snow around you?  No chance of a snafu with those.
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • I'm not a fan of the first one at all. I hate being talked to in plays or theaters. I'm there to watch the show, not talk. Plus there is a huge chance that you will make other people around you guys unhappy and may distract the performers. I don't know how strict that theater is, but I have seen people get kicked out of shows for being in the aisle and talking for too long.

I like #2 a lot more! I probably wouldn't do a generator though since they are so loud and you would probably have to get permission from the park to do that. I like the battery operated candle idea though. I think that will be beautiful. You can set up an iPod with speakers or something if you want to sing a song. 

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I couldn't agree more and I think no generator and more battery operated lights that I can take with me when we leave are better. And I know nothing of central park however I am open to suggestion and am just looking around at nice places within the park now. Anything else you would suggest? I would do the Cinderella thing, however she really likes Jersry Boys!.... A lot :
  • YellobatYellobat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_proposal-ideas-suggestions-please-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:b3e22863-ada0-4116-b25a-44b4b12f2b06Post:d9da03cf-ab2b-4dfd-a776-1b5fcf215e64">Re:Proposal Ideas.... Suggestions Please!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I couldn't agree more and I think no generator and more battery operated lights that I can take with me when we leave are better. And I know nothing of central park however I am open to suggestion and am just looking around at nice places within the park now. Anything else you would suggest? I would do the Cinderella thing, however she really likes Jersry Boys!.... A lot :
    Posted by mmfried[/QUOTE]

Central Park is HUGE!  I would actually try to find the specific "random tree" with her mom ahead of time so you're both on the same page.  If one of you thinks it's the East side 86th St. entrance and the other thinks it's the west side one, the annoyed mood you'll all be in will cast a shadow on what's otherwise a really lovely proposal idea.  NYC is so lovely and romantic at the holidays.  Also, make sure the "random tree" you choose is in a well-lit area (as it'll be dark) near major pedestrian paths.  CP has gotten a lot better, but New Yorkers don't tend to spend lots of time there after dark and you wouldn't want two women walking too far down dark paths to reach you.  Good luck!  You've got great ideas that are sure to melt her heart and give her wonderful memories.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards