Just Engaged and Proposals

Planning books?

Has anyone bought any wedding planning books? I am interested in hearing your thoughts on which ones you loved or hated. 

I am the type of person who needs to hold something. I guess I am a paper junkie. I feel that if I have a wedding book, than I will be more organized. Right now, I feel like I am all over the place with emails and ideas. 

Re: Planning books?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    Like for planning and etiquette advice? I can't remember which one(s) are recommended by several Knotties (probably something by Miss Manners), but I do know they recommend NOT to get anything by Sharon Naylor. 

I made my own planner with school and office supplies so that I could customize it to meet my needs. That is a much better option than buying overpriced pre-made ones. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It would be for planning. 
  • Honestly the internet is probably a better resource than spending money on a planner.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have the planner from here and just added more stuff to it to personalize it :)
  • Mom bought me a planner from Barnes and Noble. I barely use it. Just make your own with a binder, paper and dividers. Also, make your contact sheets and guest list on an Excel spreadsheet.
  • I didn't purchase any but did borrow a few wedding planning/special events planning books from the library for inspiration. Then I was gifted the Wedding Ceremony Planner, which I found helpful, especially when it came to working on our vows.
  • tiny specktiny speck member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I did everything online. I didn't even buy any wedding magazines. Save your money.

ETA: If you really feel like you need something tangible, I'd just get a binder and keep all your wedding related stuff there to help stay organized.
  • I should have thought of a DIY planner. Thanks ladies for the comments. I have a binder and accessories at home and I found printables online. 

Thank goodness for Google!!!!

•  I made my own planner too, and also followed the checklist here on theknot! I liked the idea of having creative control with my home-made planner, and organizing it the way I wanted. :) I thought the online checklist was great, as I can check things off, and keep track of what I have completed, & what I have left to do. If you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own planner, I'm sure the store bought ones would work just as well, and you could remove areas that may not apply to you. (I know a lot of the store bought planners are 3 ring binder style so you can add to it, or remove what you'd like). I've seen a couple nice ones at Chapters. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_planning-books-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:fc7141ec-81cc-4d3c-86e1-d51d6d8feedePost:78a84e6b-2e71-48bc-accb-5356e58c9a67">Re: Planning books?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I made my own planner too, and also followed the checklist here on theknot! I liked the idea of having creative control with my home-made planner, and organizing it the way I wanted. :) I thought the online checklist was great, as I can check things off, and keep track of what I have completed, & what I have left to do. If you don't want to go to the trouble of making your own planner, I'm sure the store bought ones would work just as well, and you could remove areas that may not apply to you. (I know a lot of the store bought planners are 3 ring binder style so you can add to it, or remove what you'd like). I've seen a couple nice ones at Chapters. :)
    Posted by JMalettas[/QUOTE]

JMalettas just FYI- people really hate colored fonts around here. It makes posts hard to read.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I bought Emily Post's “Wedding Etiquette” which I found extremely helpful. I've just started planning so no books on that yet, but I love the DIY idea. 

Thanks ladies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards