April 2013 Weddings

wedding gift "wtf" thoughts

So we've been receiving early wedding gifts in the mail, including this awesome firepit from our friends. I went on my Kohl's registry and saw that 2 of them were bought, and I'm thinking.... great.. someone's really going to bring this MASSIVE fire pit box to the wedding and we need to figure out a way to get it home (we planned on taking my FI car... don't think it'll fit a huge fire pit box) and to top it off then we need to return it cause we already have one.

Then yesterday I check my BBB registry and someone bought us a $50 glass cake stand that we didnt register for (we did, however, register for a cheaper cake stand that we already received at the shower). I know I'm supposed to be greatful but wtf am I gonna do with that? (answer: return it) Ahhh I've been so cranky the past few days and these are just minor annoyances that are on my mind right now.. which I guess is a good thing that with 3 days to go that's all I'm worried about lol

158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: wedding gift "wtf" thoughts

• I had a WTF thought too, and it's still bothering me since I haven't seen the friend who is giving me the gift.  When this friend remodeled her kitchen, she got this really cool garbage can that is motion sensored - you just wave your hand over it and the lid pops up.  I commented about how cool it was, and she told me about the great deal she got on it.  I told her if she ever saw that deal again, let me know.  This was about a year ago.  In the meantime, I registered for one, and a family member got it for us as a gift.   

Anyway, two days before we leave for the wedding, this friend is literally calling 6 times a day, asking when I can come by, or when she can come over and give us our gifts.  I kept telling her it was a bad time, we were super busy packing for the destination wedding, last minute errands, etc.  She told me she had gotten one of those garbage cans and donated it to a charity she does work for, but they never used so SHE ASKED FOR IT BACK so she could give it to us.  So now I have one that the relative got us, and one that was taken back from a charity.  We've been back from the wedding/honeymoon for 3 days now and I still haven't seen her, since they're dealing with some flooding issues but now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with 2 garbage cans, on top of feeling absolutely awful that she basically un-donated one in order to give it to us. 

Maybe you won't have to put the second fire pit in the car - maybe they're having it delivered.  Or you can always ask them to take it back home with them (since it obviously fit in THEIR car) since you don't have the room, and keep it until after the wedding and then bring it over for you at another time.

How do you know you're getting a $50 cake stand you didn't register for?  If you didn't register for it, it wouldn't be on your registry so you wouldn't be able to see that it was purchased, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_wedding-gift-wtf-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:ef2eeac2-f752-4449-a376-fddafed00d88Post:9c178f3f-d2fd-409c-87ec-35f414ca6555">Re: wedding gift "wtf" thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had a WTF thought too, and it's still bothering me since I haven't seen the friend who is giving me the gift.  When this friend remodeled her kitchen, she got this really cool garbage can that is motion sensored - you just wave your hand over it and the lid pops up.  I commented about how cool it was, and she told me about the great deal she got on it.  I told her if she ever saw that deal again, let me know.  This was about a year ago.  In the meantime, I registered for one, and a family member got it for us as a gift.    Anyway, two days before we leave for the wedding, this friend is literally calling 6 times a day, asking when I can come by, or when she can come over and give us our gifts.  I kept telling her it was a bad time, we were super busy packing for the destination wedding, last minute errands, etc.  She told me she had gotten one of those garbage cans and donated it to a charity she does work for, but they never used so SHE ASKED FOR IT BACK so she could give it to us.  So now I have one that the relative got us, and one that was taken back from a charity.  We've been back from the wedding/honeymoon for 3 days now and I still haven't seen her, since they're dealing with some flooding issues but now I'm wondering what I'm going to do with 2 garbage cans, on top of feeling absolutely awful that she basically un-donated one in order to give it to us.  Maybe you won't have to put the second fire pit in the car - maybe they're having it delivered.  Or you can always ask them to take it back home with them (since it obviously fit in THEIR car) since you don't have the room, and keep it until after the wedding and then bring it over for you at another time. <strong>How do you know you're getting a $50 cake stand you didn't register for?  If you didn't register for it, it wouldn't be on your registry so you wouldn't be able to see that it was purchased, right?</strong>
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Omg I can't believe she asked for the trash can back to give to you...lol thats ridiculous</div><div>
    </div><div>It is on my registry, it says "Wants: 0 Fulfilled: 1" it's the same thing that happens when the guest buys a box of candy or something that you didn't register for and it shows up on your registry as fulfilled. I guess so no other guest buys me the same thing I didn't register for? </div><div>
    </div><div>I have my doubts about the second fire pit being shipped since it's been off the registry for weeks now and still hasn't showed up to my door, unless they shipped it to their house and are paying a SECOND shipping cost to send it to my house, which just doesn't make sense. I don't think it's in stores.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image

• Maybe they bought the cake stand for themselves (or someone else) at the same time they bought your gift and it just added it to your registry on accident, thinking it was for you?  Target did that with my baby registry.  I was wondering why in the world I was getting duct tape and a candy bar.  lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ok seriously ally yes you didnt register for it but come on you sound like the biggest stuck up brat rigt now...be greatful!! be happy!!  your getting married in like this weekend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_wedding-gift-wtf-thoughts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:ef2eeac2-f752-4449-a376-fddafed00d88Post:7c5b53e4-b023-49f1-88e3-09c7ed775da9">Re: wedding gift "wtf" thoughts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe they bought the cake stand for themselves (or someone else) at the same time they bought your gift and it just added it to your registry on accident, thinking it was for you?  Target did that with my baby registry.  I was wondering why in the world I was getting duct tape and a candy bar.  lol
    Posted by ChiGirl2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I was hoping this but don't think it's the case. I saw this addition the day after I spoke to my stepdad while he was shopping for me with his kind-of-kooky sister who always wants to think "out of the box" and get something she *thinks* I would like instead of what I actually need or registered for, sooo I'm placing my bets on her being the one who got it for me. He asked what we want, I told him we really need the blender we registered for at BBB. I did see that was also taken off the registry at the same time. So yeah, pretty sure it was her who got it. 

</div>

• Woah, woah, woah..... let's hold off on the name calling, ok?  It's a bit unnecessary, IMO and let's not forget that when you're only a few days before your wedding, the littlest things annoy you.  We're all allowed to vent here, and we're here to support each other, not to call each other names.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah seriously, we're allowed to vent here, that way we can get it off our chests and be ok in person!

Aly- I totally get it. I got some random gifts and as nice as it was for them to get it for us, since they didn't need to, it was a pain in the butt because we didn't want it, didn't have space for it, and they caused us more work to then go return it. When they could have just done a gift card or something off the registry (especially since it was family who asked us what we wanted and we said, registry!). Sounds ungrateful, probably is, but there it is!

And today is Admin Professionals day, and my office for the 2nd year in a row gave me a gift certificate to a restaurant far from my house that I'll never get to. I feel badly they spent that money! I'll get there someday, but it's hard to plan it. That's why I always try to get stuff that is easy for and what the person wants, and if I don't know- visa gift card.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm actually pretty lucky I didn't run in to this problem. I went against etiquette rules and I did not register at all. I left it open for people to go willy nilly, but luckily they got the gist of why I didn't register. We got all monetary gifts except for two people. One got us a new set of knives (I mean come on, who doesn't like a nice new set of knives?!), so I was pretty excited about that, and another person handmade a nice think cutting/butcher board. It's really nice. Another gift I am thankful for because all of our cutting boards are split.

I lucked out, but if I got a cake stand, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. I think it's ok to exchange it for something that was on your registry that you don't end up getting.

Don't stress about the firepit, someone will manage to get it home! Try to relax, you will have an amazing time this weekend!
    Anniversary
  • Jessalyn- I just have to say, your ticker with the burger cracks me up. I like it
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually got a cake stand from my grandma one Christmas.  I was still in college, and was wondering WTH I was going to do with a cake stand.  Turns out, you can flip the dome part over, sit it in the base, and it turns into a punch bowl.  SWEET!  Yeah, THAT I could use.  We ended up glueing it together that way because, well, drunk people tend to knock things over.  lol  If you can't return it, try to think out of the box.  Or maybe regift it to someone that you know enjoys baking or hosting parties, as long as they don't know the person who gave it to you in the first place.  It will all work out, no worries.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ally I feel your pain. Right now my registry is saying I am getting three blenders... I am hoping it is an error and I am not sure how that would happen.  What a pain.  
  • Gee, you ladies are a lot nicer than the witches on The Knot Forums...

*buries and snuggles deep inside a blanket* I think i will stay HERE!

Hardly anyone has bought anything on my registry, so my only advice is to not check in until after your honeymoon to see what you got. It'll be like a 2nd birthday or a bonus Christmas!
  • Oh I'm sure I do sound like a brat, but lets be real our thoughts aren't always peaches and cream, and so close to the wedding no I'm not the most reasonable person. Like Chi said I'm venting here so I'm ok in person lol, thanks girls!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards