Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Reseption Dress

We are having a casual reception with backyard BBQ. We expect about 115 guests and only the BMs and GM will be coming with us for the pictures off site. We plan on taking a few with the flower girls before hand. I have a reception dress that is short and yellow and not a wedding dress at all. Which is what I love about it.

Would it be a good idea to come back to the reception in my wedding gown so people can take pictures with me if they choose and then leave and change or should I just show up in my reception dress? I know I will want to change asap the dress is just too much for me and my short yellow dress is me to a tee. But would it be rude to eliminate any photo opps of the newly married couple?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reseption Dress

• Options
    (Hi fellow July 2013 knottie! :))

Are you guys going to do anything like a first dance?
    What if you kept the dress on for your entrance and first dance, and then change out of it after people get an opportunity for a few photo ops?

As a guest, I would love to see you in your dress! I personally would be sad if you immediately changed out of it -- but you should do what makes you comfortable. If you don't feel like yourself in the big poofy white dress, then change whenever you'd like. I doubt anyone is  going to be mad at you for it, especially at a casual BBQ reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    First I'll say that I have no idea what proper etiquette would be for this. But I know that personally I really like to get a picture with the bride and I would be a little bummed out if you showed up at the reception already changed into your yellow dress. Of course I understand that you want to feel comfortable, but maybe wait to change until after table visits or when you've had some time to mingle a bit with at least your closest friends and family.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We are not doing a first dance at the reception we are having it privately with just the photographer.

I hate the idea of staying in the dress but I do think it would be best.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reseption-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:02797de0-5c05-44cc-98b8-cbc7058625adPost:a8be6860-e165-4d5e-8f61-b17e94143535">Re: Reseption Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are not doing a first dance at the reception we are having it privately with just the photographer. I hate the idea of staying in the dress but I do think it would be best.
    Posted by alyssaames[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to sound snarky, but if you hate the idea of being in your wedding dress, why did you buy it?
  • Options
    Ditto AmJam and MissKristen. Maybe do some of the more "photo op"-ish things in your dress and then change. I totally understand you wanting to be comfortable and feel like yourself, it is YOUR (and FH's) party after all. :) 
  • Options
    I love how 99% of us are july brides! but i'd wear it to enter the reception for sure.. get pics with family and then go away for a moment to change! You might regret not having alot of pics with family in your dress 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reseption-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02797de0-5c05-44cc-98b8-cbc7058625adPost:03a5d479-c605-40d2-a7df-a86cd762d955">Re: Reseption Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reseption Dress : I don't mean to sound snarky, but if you hate the idea of being in your wedding dress, why did you buy it?
    Posted by misshart00[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  I mean, it's your wedding day.  The wedding gown isn't usually the most comfortable thing to wear, but heck, you're a bride.  It's a once in a lifetime event.   To me, wearing a short yellow dress isn't anything special......it's like you're one of the guests.
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Is it your dress or the idea of a wedding dress that you're not liking?</div>
  • Options
    I would walk into the reception wearing the dress and greet your guests, and then you can change shortly after you arrive.
  • Options
    The wedding dress is everything I wanted. I have suffered with anxiety of groups of more than 10 or so since my father killed himself while I was in high school. I developed a few phobias and this is one I can't shake. I love my dress but it is drawing attention. I am happy to have all eyes on me for the ceremony but we designed the reception and got the reception dress so I could move freely without feeling confined and have an easy out if I need to get away for any reason. ( We live next door to the venue) 

Thanks for the advice ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that I have no problem with you changing into a reception dress. It was just going to make me sad if you bought a wedding dress you hated. I'm glad you clarified.
  • Options
    I'd enter the reception in the gown and change into the dress. If you're uncomfortable with that though, go ahead and change before. I don't think there's really an etiquette - just what you're comfortable with. If you aren't having a private ceremony (couldn't tell from your OP or I've had too much wine tonight), your guests will be able to see you in your gown at least.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reseption-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02797de0-5c05-44cc-98b8-cbc7058625adPost:363455fa-b555-421e-91f4-630b759f1f5d">Re: Reseption Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your post makes me sad. I loved my dress so much I didn't want to take it off. I wish you could feel that way. But I hope you have a wonderful day and marriage.
    Posted by scribe95[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I am hoping I am just building it up in my head and it will be much better than I expected. Out of 110 guests of so I know all of them all very well. I just get anxiety wearing it when I think too much but if I just relax I feel beautiful and know the pictures will be so important.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Since you know all of your guests well I am sure they will be happy and be very supportive, and of course its your day so I say do what you want :) I'm sure they will love to take pictures with you too in a summery fun yellow dress!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_reseption-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:02797de0-5c05-44cc-98b8-cbc7058625adPost:53bd98c8-a6d7-4237-83e9-b143a2449aad">Re: Reseption Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reseption Dress : Thank you! I am hoping I am just building it up in my head and it will be much better than I expected. Out of 110 guests of so I know all of them all very well. I just get anxiety wearing it when I think too much but if I just relax I feel beautiful and know the pictures will be so important.
    Posted by alyssaames[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards