Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Destination Wedding Save The Dates.. HELP!?

Hey guys- So I have a question.. I am going to have a destination wedding in Cancun, Mexico in 2015. I will be sending out some save the dates WAY in advance, The sooner I give the info the easier it will be for them to save.. Anyway, my question is- when sending these out, what else/how do I give all the info to them besdes just naming the resort? I want to give them a few ideas on where to book it / the travel agent I am using to help me. I also want to let them know that its an adult only resort and ALSO that they dont have to stay there if they cant afford it.. There are tons of groupons and hotel deals and they're all in the hotel zone and close to eachother.. I also have to let them know that they will need passports to travel to Mexico.. There is tonss of information that I want to include i'm just not sure how to lol! 
Do I send a packet? Opinions please?!    Sealed

Re: Destination Wedding Save The Dates.. HELP!?

• Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2013
    In Response to Re:Destination Wedding Save The Dates.. HELP!?:[QUOTE]Hey guys So I have a question.. I am going to have a destination wedding in Cancun, Mexico in 2015. I will be sending out some save the dates WAY in advance, The sooner I give the info the easier it will be for them to save.. Anyway, my question is when sending these out, what else/how do I give all the info to them besdes just naming the resort? I want to give them a few ideas on where to book it / the travel agent I am using to help me. I also want to let them know that its an adult only resort and ALSO that they dont have to stay there if they cant afford it.. There are tons of groupons and hotel deals and they're all in the hotel zone and close to eachother.. I also have to let them know that they will need passports to travel to Mexico.. There is tonss of information that I want to include i'm just not sure how to lol!nbsp;Do I send a packet? Opinions please?! nbsp; nbsp; Posted by futuremrskoryta[/QUOTE]  <div>
    </div><div>I would put that info on a wedding website and link to it on the STD. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I think you are very well-intentioned, but you are underestimating the intelligence of your guests. Adults will know that they need a passport to travel out of the country. They will know their budget and book accordingly. I doubt that guests will think they HAVE to stay at the resort unless you tell them otherwise.</div>
  • Options
    Even with a destination wedding you still shouldn't be sending STDs more than a year out at the most. 

• Options
    msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Let everyone know your intentions by word of mouth. If anyone asks, give them the address to your wedding webpage. That's what we've done for our May 2014 wedding. A lot of my family has looked at our webpage (which includes everything from alternate resort suggestions to info on how to get a passport), and some haven't. But everyone knows that it's destination and the date, it's ultimately up to them if they want to plan to attend or not. I have had a few people ask about what to budget, and I told everyone about $1500pp. This is not on the wedding website. The goal is to have it be a lot less than that, but it is the average price of a higher end vacation on our island.

We are sending out save the dates in August 2013 which will include some travel information and links to our website. There's no reason to send out stuff any more than 10 months in advance, because resorts won't have released pricing for 2015 yet. I can't even get it for my May 2014 wedding yet, and the prices will change. So giving them anything earlier than that is a waste. So much can change in that time in your planning process, and they can't look up flights/hotel/or anything else that far in advance. Word of mouth is the best way to go until contracts are signed and prices are available.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    If most of your guests won't know a passport is required and need 18 months to save for your wedding, I'm not sure a destination wedding sounds like a good fit for your crowd. Agree with PPs, put the info on a website, and that address on the save the date.
  • Options
    <div>Hey- Thanks for the reply- normally I would totally agree with you but you would be surprised at the reactions of some of my guests already lol!! Most thought you could travel to Mexico without a passport, and also a lot said "we cant afford that resort" thus, having to explain that they dont have to stay there. I feel like they're going to think it doesnt make sense to travel all the way to Mexico only to stay at another resort and not see me as much as they would if they stayed at my resort. I live far from most of my guests so them coming would be a bigger deal than if I saw them all the time.. Idk I could be wrong thats probably how I might feel..</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_destination-wedding-save-the-dates-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:08dd259e-9d82-4b71-8dbb-d9b6955b8c7bPost:d0252bfc-dc12-45a3-a025-ebe1193222ee">Re:Destination Wedding Save The Dates.. HELP!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Destination Wedding Save The Dates.. HELP!?:  I would put that info on a wedding website and link to it on the STD.  Also, I think you are very well-intentioned, but you are underestimating the intelligence of your guests. Adults will know that they need a passport to travel out of the country. They will know their budget and book accordingly. I doubt that guests will think they HAVE to stay at the resort unless you tell them otherwise.
    Posted by lovesclimbing[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Ok. Still, I would put the info on a wedding website and link to it on the STD. Sending out a full packet could get expensive fast. For passport info, I would put a link to the passport page on travel.state.gov.
  • Options
    Save the dates are save the dates. As in: "save your calander for our wedding in Mexico, Month, Year".  Detailed information you can put on a website or on the actual invitation. Don't worry about spending money to send out all of the information by post, because alot can change between now and then...
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards