Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?

I am trying to carefully write a note for guests on our website about leaving celebrities who will attend alone.  My Fiance has invited a number of celebrities who said yes. My guests are not use to that and I want to politely warn them that the celebrities are attending as friends not to be hounded for pictures or autographs. How do I write that??? I do not want to sound like a bridezilla. Laughing

Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?

• Options

"Please do not feed the Celebrities" 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I think it sounds quite presumptuous.

Will there be someone doing security at your wedding due to alcohol being served?  Let them know and if they see someone being a pest, that person can intervene.
  • Options
    annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    A mature individual knows when it's appropriate to approach someone.  At a private/personal party such as a wedding, I would hope people can act as adults.  Don't put anything on an invite/website/etc.  That's just as tacky as "Cash gifts only".

The only exception I have to this would be me seeing Channing Tatum at a wedding.  All rules go out the window for Chan.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    You don't.

• Options
    I promise you, any selfrespecting down to Earth celebrity would be MORTIFIED to see such a note on a wedding website. I mean, if they're just like everyone else, why point out their differences and draw attention to them, ya know? I mean, you're basically just ostracizing them. If they are a attention seeking snots, then they wouldn't want such a note on there, anyway, because they'll want people coming up to them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's like when my cousin drew attention to the fact that I was too young to drink during her bachelorette weekend (the MOH said something like "once everyone gets wine" and my cousin jumped in and said "well, not everyone. They aren't old enough to drink!")...totally embarrassing and completely unnecessary. No need to call attention to something everyone knows. 

If there's some specific situation you're concerned about (like, I don't know, if Justin Bieber is coming and all of your pretween cousins are going to be there), maybe mention it quietly and privately. But honestly, if your FI and this celeb have a good enough relationship that the celebrity would take time out of his/her busy schedule for your wedding, don't you think that person would be nice enough to gracefully handle fans during the wedding? I'd certainly hope so; poor behavior from the celebrity would almost be worse in certain circumstances. 
  • Options
    Like PPs have said, you don't.  Ignore it.  They will know how to handle themselves because this is their daily lives.  I've been in social situations with several musical celebrities and they all understand and appreciate the attention.  That whole "I'm just a person and I want my privacy" bit is just that... a bit.  They are nothing without fans and most fully understand that.  

Nobody's gonna go crazy, but they may ask for a picture or an autograph and your celebrity friends will be happy to oblige, I'm sure.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Yep, don't do anything. No need to draw more attention to some of your guests. Think of them as guests first, not celebrities.
  • Options
    Don't do or say anything. It will only draw more attention to them, which is what you're trying to avoid. People should know how to act when at a wedding and on the flip side, celebrities will know how to handle people fawning over them (if they do).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    You know what's fun?  The Tilt-a-Whirl at carnivals. It's my favorite ride ever. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    wouldn't annoucing the celebrity is coming actually draw more attention to them?  If I knew a celebrity was coming I think I would look around to see where they are, what they are wearing just general curiousity stuff?  If I didn't know they would be there I might not even notice them at first or at all.   

I would think preparing them for the celebrity actually makes it worse.  Say your celebrity is a music producer I could see someone handing them a cd of their music. Or a guest bringing a script to an actor.  Or head shots to producer.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:d25811e5-1bd5-4ac1-88d6-7f4784abe985">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know what's fun?  The Tilt-a-Whirl at carnivals. It's my favorite ride ever. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

Love this!

Am I the only one interested to know which celebrities will be there?
    ha.

and I agree, all composure would go out the window for Channing.  Gerard Butler, Kenny Chesney and Blake Shelton. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just another reason not to mention it: I don't know how many celebrities you plan on bring there, but what if something comes up and they can't make it? Then people will wonder about the note on your website and think you were just trying to look good.
  • Options
    If you are friendly enough with these celebrities to invite them, and have them agree to attend your wedding, then I assume some of your friends and family also know that they may be there. They will likely be expecting the celebrity to be there and as such won't act shocked or thrilled, etc. Hopefully they will just act normal. I also find your phrasing kind of weird; are these people actually friends of yours? Business associates?

Anyway, not something to really worry about. Trust your guests to act like adults
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:c0275af5-ce1f-4e04-b536-45b00a11be45">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding? : Love this! Am I the only one interested to know which celebrities will be there? ha. and I agree, all composure would go out the window for Channing.  Gerard Butler, Kenny Chesney and Blake Shelton. :)
    Posted by blueikaos[/QUOTE]

<div>No, I want to know, too. Mostly because I think this story is MUD.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:c15d9887-09f7-4e5c-8696-f52757095da3">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm related to an Olympic gold medalist (he evidently hogged all the athletic skills in our gene pool- I got none) and my wedding was just before last year's summer games.  He is used to people getting star struck and acting like goobers around him. He knows how to politely deal with fans.  I imagine that your famous guests will have similar skills.  Nobody bothered my cousin at our wedding, for the record. ETA: We also had like a sub-D list reality show cast-off on our guest list (another of my million cousins), he wanted to be fawned over but nobody knew who he was.
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]

<div>Okay, I'm dying to know who your sub-D-list celebrity relative is LMAO also, wtf is the sub-d-list?!</div>
  • Options
    Put up a lawn sign.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:0fad03ce-7e19-458d-8f77-1935f898887f">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding? : I love your randomness.  My favorite carnival ride is The Zipper.
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]
    Thank you!  I've decided to deal with ridiculous sh!t by contributing my own ridiculous sh!t to it. <div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    It sounds like a plot to get people to come to / talk about one's wedding.

I know a recently married person who is related to a decently well-known celebrity with sort of a cult following. This person listed on the website that the celebrity would be attending so please do not bring cameras. HUGE eyeroll. People took pictures of the wedding anyway (and very few pictures of the celebrity) and posted them all over Facebook - I think they took more than they would have had this instruction not been on their website.

ETA: Dying to know who these celebrities are, if this isn't MUD.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:0fad03ce-7e19-458d-8f77-1935f898887f">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding? : I love your randomness.  My favorite carnival ride is The Zipper.
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]

Haha is that the Ocean City zipper? That's my favorite too
  • Options
    Careful guys, she might get upset and head over to the Bee.

The zipper is a death trap. I rode it once at the NY State Fair (one of the ones where you could tell that it was just set up that day). I was terrified the thing was just going to collapse on itself and my *steel cage was going to strain me like making pasta.

So I rode it three more times.

* That cage was absolutely not steel. 
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I will never park my arse in the Zipper. That thing looks way too scary!  The older I get, the more afraid of things I am. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:9c1213f3-971b-4de2-bd27-e7297af4e60c">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Careful guys, she might get upset and head over to the Bee. The zipper is a death trap. I rode it once at the NY State Fair (one of the ones where you could tell that it was just set up that day). I was terrified the thing was just going to collapse on itself and my *steel cage was going to strain me like making pasta. So I rode it three more times. * That cage was absolutely not steel. 
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

The worst thing is wearing flip flops...those things turn into missiles. Also I think I had the opposite fear, the one in Ocean City MD is like a thousand years old and I always picture my little zipper flying into the ocean
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:d89d3444-d29b-4345-b8ff-e77b27ede866">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding? : The worst thing is wearing flip flops...those things turn into missiles. Also I think I had the opposite fear, the one in Ocean City MD is like a thousand years old and I always picture my little zipper flying into the ocean
    Posted by beachbum7212[/QUOTE]

<div>I about spit my coffee out. Thanks for that. I wore flip flops when I rode it too. My toes were sore from gripping them so hard. The second time I just put them in the back of my shorts. Haha.</div>
  • Options
    I did not read every comment, so I apologize if this has been said:

I would put nothing in writing about this anywhere. If you are concerned about any guests in particular being starstruck, I would mention to them in person (not texting, email, facebook, etc) that celebrities will be attending and to please not pester them. I would assume, though, that most adults know better and most celebrities know how to handle themselves in these situations.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-do-i-tell-people-to-leave-the-celebrities-alone-at-our-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:19591dbe-2d47-4b7e-8d2d-3e6f06993938Post:4fd4b077-13af-464b-a9ba-5f5b9fb8cebf">Re: How do I tell people to leave the celebrities alone at our wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will never park my arse in the Zipper. That thing looks way too scary!  The older I get, the more afraid of things I am. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

I've heard too many stories of people throwing up in the Zipper.  I rode it once, but it was so long ago, I only have vague memories.
    The tilt-and-whirl is pretty awesome, but there was another one that my friend and I really liked that was similar, and I'm blanking on the name . . . gah!

• Options
    It just dawned on me - Did no one else think of this when reading this thread?

• Options
    OP, I heard a story last week that might help - like seriously, it starts off random, but I'll relate it, just give me a bit.
    There was a fancy hotel that was built right on the ocean.  After it was ready to be open for business, the hotel managers got worried that people would fish off the balconies over the ocean, so they put up "Absolutely no fishing off the balconies" signs in every room.  But no guest regarded the signs, so they fished so excessively off the balconies that fishing lines were getting tangled, fish were slapping against the windows of the restaurant on the floor level while people ate. . .
    Until one manger suggested taking down the signs that said "no fishing".  And the activity almost completely stopped.
    (I do not recall if this story was supposed to be factual).
    My point is, if you don't draw attention to what guests shouldn't do, it might not even enter their minds to do it, since they are at a wedding and should understand proper behaviour.  I think you should be fine without saying anything.

• Options
    Unless it's a celebrity everyone knows like Johnny Depp, I don't think anyone would notice, they're all going to be looking at you and your husband. You still shouldn't put it in your invitations even if Johnny Depp attended your wedding. If you mention celebrities in your invitation everyone will know and be more likely to bother them.  Besides adults should know better than to bother other people while they're eating and relaxing, celebrities are off the clock at your wedding.
  • Options
    It would be hilarious if these celebrities turned out to be like local news anchors or something. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards