Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Officiant Donation

Our wedding officiant is not affiliated with any specific church and we came into contact with him through a mutual friend.  He doesn't charge a fee to perform a wedding ceremony, but he does ask the couple to donate to a memorial scholarship fund in memory of his late son.  He said we should give, "Whatever amount you feel comfortable with."  What do you think is a good amount?  I want to make sure we are giving the right amount and not being cheap.  What would E do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Officiant Donation

• Options
    I would probably give $150.  
  • Options
    I agree with PP, $150 sounds about right. That is what our pastor charges for his services and well as use of the church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:175b3dc3-4b74-49a9-984f-4e1a16ac7284">Re: Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP, $150 sounds about right. That is what our pastor charges for his services and well as use of the church.
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

wow. Ours is $525 and that's without the church!

haha stupid NY
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:13d77e6a-b645-42be-8f24-bb6245dd37a3">Re: Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiant Donation : wow. Ours is $525 and that's without the church! haha stupid NY
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

Alot of the bigger churches around here charge that. We looked at one that was like $700! We were lucky to find this smaller church. I also really like the Pastor. Hes traditional, but realizes that not everybody else is. He doesnt judge us for living together already, even though he doesnt really advocate it. A lot of Pastors at the bigger churches are way different.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:a24e976a-f148-4062-85e9-70e24c10d3fc">Re: Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiant Donation : Alot of the bigger churches around here charge that. We looked at one that was like $700! We were lucky to find this smaller church. I also really like the Pastor. Hes traditional, but realizes that not everybody else is. He doesnt judge us for living together already, even though he doesnt really advocate it. A lot of Pastors at the bigger churches are way different.
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

Oh we aren't having our ceremony at a church at all- we are having it at the reception venue. I don't know if our pastor charges an off-site fee or something but everything in NY is more expensive in general. He is a really amazing officiant though.

He is willing accomodate our 100% non-religious ceremony, which is awesome, b/c that's super important to us to not have any religion included (our families are of different religions but we are both non-practicing and I'm not a believer so non-religious just made the most sense).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:6005f2f0-f57c-46c9-9065-a9a3fea642b1">Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding officiant is not affiliated with any specific church and we came into contact with him through a mutual friend.  He doesn't charge a fee to perform a wedding ceremony, but he does ask the couple to donate to a memorial scholarship fund in memory of his late son.  He said we should give, "Whatever amount you feel comfortable with."  What do you think is a good amount?  I want to make sure we are giving the right amount and not being cheap.  What would E do?
    Posted by walgrrl[/QUOTE]

<div>I would donate whatever the average officiant charge is in your area.  If you don't know, just call up a couple and ask.  Our officiant was $600. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:c8acbadf-d279-4932-9d7e-d5ca9ce0d56b">Re: Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Officiant Donation : Oh we aren't having our ceremony at a church at all- we are having it at the reception venue. I don't know if our pastor charges an off-site fee or something but everything in NY is more expensive in general. He is a really amazing officiant though. He is willing accomodate our 100% non-religious ceremony, which is awesome, b/c that's super important to us to not have any religion included (our families are of different religions but we are both non-practicing and I'm not a believer so non-religious just made the most sense).
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]

We thought of having an officiant (outside of the church & non-denominational) bc we were going to have our ceremony on the beach. They charge about $150 as well.  But the more I thought about it (& we went to church a few times), the more we realized we really wanted to have it in the church.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    $300 just for the pastor here.
  • Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_officiant-donation-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1beff272-9774-4669-8378-25a46bac8775Post:6005f2f0-f57c-46c9-9065-a9a3fea642b1">Officiant Donation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our wedding officiant is not affiliated with any specific church and we came into contact with him through a mutual friend.  He doesn't charge a fee to perform a wedding ceremony, but he does ask the couple to donate to a memorial scholarship fund in memory of his late son.  He said we should give, "Whatever amount you feel comfortable with."  What do you think is a good amount?  I want to make sure we are giving the right amount and not being cheap.  What would E do?
    Posted by walgrrl[/QUOTE]

My officiant is charging us $200, which I feel is very reasonable for this area.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thanks everyone!  Taking into account what everyone said, and looking at officiant fees in my area, I think we will go with $200.  Thanks for the help, because I really had no idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards