Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bad advice on NWR sites?

In addition to lurking here, I also lurk on a few NWR advice sites. Yesterday one of them posted this thread (<--click) about having a second reception. The actual advice wasn't bad, but I thought the comments were pretty crazy.

I've seen a lot of bad wedding advice put out by the industry and on wedding-specific sites, but I didn't think that many people bought into it until now. Do any of you frequent other (NWR) sites and find this utter aversion to etiquette as prominent? If you do come across this regularly, do you usually jump in and comment about proper etiquette, and what type of reactions do you usually receive? 

Re: Bad advice on NWR sites?

• Options
    I think most websites that try to give wedding info out suck at it. 
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I read Etiquette Hell and Hell's Bells and love them. I find their advice to be pretty spot-on.

Also, on that Dear Wendy (who I totally used to read at the Frisky!) thread, "Gator Girl" gave some great advice. I wish more of the other posters had listened to her.

But I do have a few “points” (all general “you” not specifically to the LW)

-No one cares about your wedding as much as you do.
    -But people prioritize attending a wedding (over say a bachelorette or a “wedding celebration weekend”) since you chose not to invite your friends to the wedding ceremony, your priority drops.
    -You can’t invite people to an event celebrating YOU and ask them to pay for it. Well, I mean you can but expect the priority to be low.

-You get one wedding day, the day you are married. How you chose to spend that day (big wedding, church, courthouse, small dinner, etc) is completely up to you BUT you have to live with the consiquences of your choices. People will have opinions on your wedding day, regardless of what “route” you chose so pick what is best for you and your fiance."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-advice-on-nwr-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d4e7224-d748-4bed-b8da-8418ae94029cPost:e8edaea6-5764-4d1c-ac97-9ca5596b9dc5">Re: Bad advice on NWR sites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think most websites that try to give wedding info out suck at it. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

<div>I concur. I occasionally read Yahoo's Shine wedding section. That's disastrous at times. Scary place.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-advice-on-nwr-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d4e7224-d748-4bed-b8da-8418ae94029cPost:4dce21d6-5add-4b5f-bcc9-b5d06add27c8">Re: Bad advice on NWR sites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I read Etiquette Hell and Hell's Bells and love them. I find their advice to be pretty spot-on. Also, on that Dear Wendy (who I totally used to read at the Frisky!) thread, "Gator Girl" gave some great advice. I wish more of the other posters had listened to her. 
    Posted by zoberg[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love Etiquette Hell. I found it last year and read all the archives. Between that and lurking here, I forget that other people are not as obsessed with etiquette, but I really shouldn't be so surprised. And I totally followed Wendy over from TF too. There was definitely some good advice to be found in that thread, but it seemed to be the unpopular opinion over there.

</div>
  • Options
    If GatorGirl is not already a Knottie, she should be.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-advice-on-nwr-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d4e7224-d748-4bed-b8da-8418ae94029cPost:afe7c926-826d-4227-a2d6-57fe2c7f6256">Bad advice on NWR sites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In addition to lurking here, I also lurk on a few NWR advice sites. Yesterday one of them posted  this thread  (<--click) about having a second reception. The actual advice wasn't bad, but I thought the comments were pretty crazy. I've seen a lot of bad wedding advice put out by the industry and on wedding-specific sites, but I didn't think that many people bought into it until now. Do any of you frequent other (NWR) sites and find this utter aversion to etiquette as prominent? If you do come across this regularly, do you usually jump in and comment about proper etiquette, and what type of reactions do you usually receive? 
    Posted by elizabethriley[/QUOTE]

<div>Hi, DearWendy here. I saw the referral link pop up in my stats and I hope it's ok that I jump in and say hi.  Aathough my site is NWR, I answer a lot of wedding-related questions, especially this time of year, I do hope my advice isn't among the advice that sucks. Anyway, I'm curious what you thought was so crazy about the comments. I thought a lot of people were advocating for good etiquette...</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-advice-on-nwr-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d4e7224-d748-4bed-b8da-8418ae94029cPost:227b80e2-50d9-4923-bc80-903ec43c413f">Re: Bad advice on NWR sites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bad advice on NWR sites? : Hi, DearWendy here. I saw the referral link pop up in my stats and I hope it's ok that I jump in and say hi.  Aathough my site is NWR, I answer a lot of wedding-related questions, especially this time of year, I do hope my advice isn't among the advice that sucks. Anyway, I'm curious what you thought was so crazy about the comments. I thought a lot of people were advocating for good etiquette...
    Posted by DearWendy[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>The comments that jumped out at me (and I'm just lumping similar sentiments together here) is that people thought the friends should make this party a priority when the B&G couldn't make their friends a priority at the actual wedding. There are many ways to host weddings that include all your loved ones without breaking the bank.</div><div>
    </div><div>Nothing the friends said/did were wrong (ok, the friend who wouldn't go without the other rubbed me the wrong way) but people were still villifying them. If the B&G want to have a party in the summertime to celebrate their marriage they should, but don't expect people to treat it like an actual wedding. 

</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-advice-on-nwr-sites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3d4e7224-d748-4bed-b8da-8418ae94029cPost:511d2204-4aa5-4542-80c9-4df0ffd3ef7b">Re: Bad advice on NWR sites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad advice on NWR sites? : The comments that jumped out at me (and I'm just lumping similar sentiments together here) is that people thought the friends should make this party a priority when the B&G couldn't make their friends a priority at the actual wedding. There are many ways to host weddings that include all your loved ones without breaking the bank. <strong>Nothing the friends said/did were wrong (ok, the friend who wouldn't go without the other rubbed me the wrong way) but people were still villifying them. If the B&G want to have a party in the summertime to celebrate their marriage they should, but don't expect people to treat it like an actual wedding. </strong>
    Posted by kristbot[/QUOTE]

***DingDingDing

We have a winner
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards