Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Semi-Formal

2»

Re: Semi-Formal

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:c75ca022-b611-4e4c-88a9-cd84389dadd3">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, cocktail attire isn't "semi formal" to me, it's just flat out formal.  And I wouldn't wear it to a wedding at ANY sort of summer camp or for any wedding where part of it was outdoors, even outdoors at a nice club or garden to be honest.  If you want men in suits and ties and women in cocktail dresses, you need to pick a different venue.  
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

this !!   I would probably wear a nice sundress and sandals.  I wouldn't wear a cocktail dress.
  • Options
    I don't get brides who try to take non-traditiona and non-formal venues (ie a camp or park) and try to make them into a super formal area and then complain about their guests possibly not dressing appropriately because the venue may come off as casual.

If you want a formal wedding then have a formal venue.

This is not the David Tutera show or Style Me Pretty, this is the real world and if I got invited to a wedding at a camp site I would think it was a more casual affair no matter what time it was held.  But if I got an invite to a wedding that took place at a 5 star hotel you better believe my butt would be in my best cocktail attire.

Invitations can only do some much.  Your venue, IMO, needs to reflect your level of formality as well because none of your guests know how you plan on decorating the space before hand.

• Options
    Just out of curiousity, if I moved it to here...??

What would your opinion be then?
    Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:6e05dee4-cbdb-4456-b789-e9a351b9b713">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just out of curiousity, if I moved it to here...?? <a href="http://unityvillage.org/" rel="nofollow">http://unityvillage.org/</a> What would your opinion be then?
    Posted by DaisyMaeMommy[/QUOTE]

I am guessing that this is acutally where you are having your wedding and you are just trying to full me into placing my foot in my mouth.

Honestly, my previous post was a general statement to all brides that do that.  But, we can only go by off what you say in your post.  There is no way to say a camp ground or a kid's camp to make it sound gorgeous and upscale and formal.  But if you had posted this link in the beginning a lot of responses would have been different.

But in the end you can't dictate attire to your guests no matter what type of wedding you are having.  And hoepfully for you your guests know of this location or at least look it up online.  But don't be surprised if some do come in jeans because I have yet to go to a wedding (of all formality types) where one or two guests hadn't shown up in jeans.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:206f17a8-7d85-421c-bab7-48083f6c6eb8">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semi-Formal : I am guessing that this is acutally where you are having your wedding and you are just trying to full me into placing my foot in my mouth. Honestly, my previous post was a general statement to all brides that do that.  But, we can only go by off what you say in your post.  There is no way to say a camp ground or a kid's camp to make it sound gorgeous and upscale and formal.  But if you had posted this link in the beginning a lot of responses would have been different. But in the end you can't dictate attire to your guests no matter what type of wedding you are having.  And hoepfully for you your guests know of this location or at least look it up online.  But don't be surprised if some do come in jeans because I have yet to go to a wedding (of all formality types) where one or two guests hadn't shown up in jeans.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>i asked because I wanted an opinion, not to make someone look like a fool. I've been to two weddings at Unity Village, and it's a beautiful place. But more expensive.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:e40ed740-569e-4c0f-ad5f-60af695d6ed7">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why would a kid's camp necessarily not be formal?  The dining hall is indoors, it may have A/C and it has restrooms?  Not certain what the issue is?
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]

A/C and restrooms doesn't make a venue formal.  Hell, my venue was at a park, and it had restrooms and A/C and it was NOT formal. 

and OP - it's VERY rude to delete your original post. First of all, you've been quoted. And second, it's rude to the people who bothered to respond to your post.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:0e14ff47-5e01-4d50-8778-2079b4ec3aa0">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semi-Formal : A/C and restrooms doesn't make a venue formal.  Hell, my venue was at a park, and it had restrooms and A/C and it was NOT formal.  and OP - it's VERY rude to delete your original post. First of all, you've been quoted. And second, it's rude to the people who bothered to respond to your post.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>My mistake!</div><div>
    </div><div>That wasn't supposed to be for this board. Let me fix it.</div>
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand why a kid's camp can't be formal either?   

On Thursday we are going to a formal event at  the fieldhouse the Indiana Pacers play basketball.  I've also been to formal events at the SuperDome and a convention center.  Hardly call any of those venues formal, but  with the right decor it can anything can become formal.   

::shrugs::

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:6ec44a48-57c4-4d42-8439-067f8a0240bf">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am still at a loss to figure out what makes a venue worthy of what I would call semi-formal (men jackets and ties, women dresses and heels).   The kids' camp near me has regular restrooms, as opposed to what is our neighborhood playground, which are not quite as nice.  The kid's camp has an air-conditioned hall -- the park does not.  The kid's camp has a hall with a wooden floor you can dance on.  To me the kid's camp is more like a VFW or church hall, it can be as nice as you want. 

Personally, I think anything that includes a portion of the ceremony in a garden or a park, or the woods is going to be more casual.  Same thing with a VFW hall or Church hall.  I think if there is a moosehead on the wall, it's probably not a formal venue.  If they hold indoor volleyball in the hall, it's probably not a formal venue.  If the campground hall turns into a cafeteria style dining hall during camping season, chances are, it's probably not going to rise to the level of a formal venue.

In my situation, I rented a venue that is owned and operated by the park's district.  It's in a park.  The ceremony was outdoors, in the park.  It was gorgeous, but I would never ask someone to dress in a cocktail dress. Some people wore summer dresses, some people wore slacks or jeans. Some people got VERY dressed. I didn't care two craps about what anyone wore.
  • Options

Also, I think it depends on what time of day the event is, and the overal formality of the event. If I am coming to a campground where you are serving me buffet style bbq or something like that, your event probably isn't formal enough for me to whip out a cocktail dress.

• Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:67e849ae-b324-4118-9281-e3b4b2048c51">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Huh, at our Country Club,  Sunday dinners are usually buffet.  Doesn't mean Saturday nights are not dressier.  Still not certain what relevance is as to what venue is used for other parts of year. 

And again, I didn't limit my answer just to "buffets" I gave lots of other examples and also said "bbq buffet".  I would expect more formal dining for a formal event.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:6cae697c-d3fe-4228-8d4e-576f707c5bfa">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semi-Formal : i asked because I wanted an opinion, not to make someone look like a fool. I've been to two weddings at Unity Village, and it's a beautiful place. But more expensive.
    Posted by DaisyMaeMommy[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I feel like you were doing it purposefully to make me or someone else look like a fool.  If you weren't you would have just posted, "well here is the place I am talking about, maybe it will provide a better idea of the overall feel for my wedding."  But instead you just posted a link and said "Just out of curiosity, if I moved it here...??".

I could imagine you sitting at your computer with an evil grin on your face just waiting for me or someone else who disagreed with you to come back and say "oh that is just gorgeous and definitely formal" so you could then say "Ha, that is where we are getting married, told you it was formal, nanny nanny boo boo."

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_semi-formal?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4caa7cf4-bb3b-4a4b-8ff0-2d64630a7bf6Post:b330b36e-f741-457f-a7fd-dbeaef780ad0">Re: Semi-Formal</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Semi-Formal : I'm sorry but I feel like you were doing it purposefully to make me or someone else look like a fool.  If you weren't you would have just posted, "well here is the place I am talking about, maybe it will provide a better idea of the overall feel for my wedding."  But instead you just posted a link and said "Just out of curiosity, if I moved it here...??". I could imagine you sitting at your computer with an evil grin on your face just waiting for me or someone else who disagreed with you to come back and say "oh that is just gorgeous and definitely formal" so you could then say "Ha, that is where we are getting married, told you it was formal, nanny nanny boo boo."
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That link is to a completely different venue, NOT the kids' camp.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hence the reason I said, If I moved it here?</div>
  • Options
    Ah, that makes sense.  But it would have been cool! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards