Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bridal Showerr!

So I was talking to my sister today (one of my MOHs) and she was asking if I would want a VS "Bride" tank+ shorts set for my shower gift. I said "no, id only wear it once blah blah blah towels would be cool if anything. but you can use the money for decorations or something." she said "dont worry about all of that, but im got getting you towels for your showers, thats where you get stuff for yourself" 

I dont know if im wrong or right here.. am i supposed to like register for lingerie? or just use my wedding registries? I honestly dont think I want 30 ladies in my family picking out lingerie for me.. but we could really use stuff for our new life. Im pretty positive my MOH put all the registries on the invite, but she also put one of those bodies with my bra and panty sizes.. Would I be wrong to spread by WOM that I would like stuff from our registires and not just lingerie? I would honestly feel really awkward writting all those thankyou cards saying "hey aunt susie, that bustier you got me is real nice, I cant wait to put that one before me and eric get it on on our wedding night!" 

Re: Bridal Showerr!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showerr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64ff8c91-1a84-43c0-bbe1-58186648c6d6Post:5eabef10-0e94-407b-b294-cfd6d702b762">Bridal Showerr!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I was talking to my sister today (one of my MOHs) and she was asking if I would want a VS "Bride" tank+ shorts set for my shower gift. I said "no, id only wear it once blah blah blah towels would be cool if anything. but you can use the money for decorations or something." she said "dont worry about all of that, but im got getting you towels for your showers, thats where you get stuff for yourself"  I dont know if im wrong or right here.<strong>. am i supposed to like register for lingerie?</strong> or just use my wedding registries? I honestly dont think I want 30 ladies in my family picking out lingerie for me.. but we could really use stuff for our new life. Im pretty positive my MOH put all the registries on the invite, but she also put one of those bodies with my bra and panty sizes.. Would I be wrong to spread by WOM that I would like stuff from our registires and not just lingerie? I would honestly feel really awkward writting all those thankyou cards saying "hey aunt susie, that bustier you got me is real nice, I cant wait to put that one before me and eric get it on on our wedding night!" 
    Posted by crysspears[/QUOTE]

No.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    yeah, i figured that was not gonna happen.. but someone at my work said some people had seperate registires for showers.. meh. So let it be, or spread by WOM to get stuff off registries? I dont want a ton of stuff for just me.. 
  • Options
    MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showerr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64ff8c91-1a84-43c0-bbe1-58186648c6d6Post:b1b30612-1128-46f4-a7e4-0ff701804c5e">Re: Bridal Showerr!</a>:
    [QUOTE]yeah, i figured that was not gonna happen.. but someone at my work said some people had seperate registires for showers.. meh. So let it be, or spread by WOM to get stuff off registries? I dont want a ton of stuff for just me.. 

I don't know if I'm just tired or If I'm actually reading you correctly. You think you're supposed to register at a place like Victoria's and he's supposed to register at Home Depot or something?

Take your fiance and go to Bed Bath and Beyond or Macy's or similar  and register for things for your home together. I.e. Sheets, Towels, Dishes, Silverware, Pillows, Gadgets, Pots and Pans.... Those are the things people would get you for your shower.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    crysspearscrysspears member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    haha no youre tired or im just bad a posting.. (I thought i did good tonight hah).. we registered at BBB, macys and target. but someone told me that some brides have seperate registires specifically for showers. BUT what im really trying to figure out is how to spread the word, if its even okay to, to get things from our registries. brcause my sister said they would likley get me lingerie

eta? Edit? If you are in new hampshire i'd be passed out by now

• Options
    In my experience, if you get lingerie, it's usually at a bachelorette or lingerie shower.  A normal shower, usually you get stuff off your registries.  At least, that's what happened at my showers and b-party and the showers and b-parties of friends that I've been to.

I think it's ok to spread via word of mouth.  I also would have asked her not to include the sizes on the invitation but it's too late for that.

You said it's people from your family.  I know my mom and aunts and family members (not including my sisters and cousins) would not get me lingerie.  No real reason, they just wouldn't.  I don't know your family but I think it quite likely that grandmothers and older family members will not get your lingerie.  Maybe they will, you know your family dynamic best.
  • Options
    Yeah I specifically requested my size not be given out because I don't want to receive lingerie at my shower.  I think it will be super awkard to open that in front of 40 women (and of those at least 10 are friends of FMIL that I have never met, so, super awkward!), and I'm really really tiny and it's hard to find stuff to fit me so anything that is bought would most likely be getting returned anyways.
  • Options

Your MOH/sister is wrong - showers are not traditionally lingerie unless it is a lingerie shower.  I received one lovely silky robe at my shower and every other gift was a traditional kitchen/bed/bath gift (whether off registry or not).  I don't think you need to do anything to spread the word.  You might get a few more of those types of gifts since she put your sizes on there, but I'd guess the majority will still be traditional gifts.

• Options
    If I got a card with your lingerie sizes on it, I would buy you lingerie. At this point, if people ask what you want feel free to steer them towards home goods, but I think you'll be getting lingerie too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-showerr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:64ff8c91-1a84-43c0-bbe1-58186648c6d6Post:2ccbb77e-c0b9-4f40-8106-1d52d969fb1a">Re: Bridal Showerr!</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha no youre tired or im just bad a posting.. (I thought i did good tonight hah).. we registered at BBB, macys and target. but someone told me that some brides have seperate registires specifically for showers. BUT what im really trying to figure out is how to spread the word, if its even okay to, to get things from our registries. brcause my sister said they would likley get me lingerie eta? Edit? If you are in new hampshire i'd be passed out by now

No I apparently read it right, I just didn't have the background story that you registered with him too.

I have never heard of a separate registry for lingerie and I would be a little weirded out if I was expected to purchase something for your underwear drawer.
    image   imageimage

• Options
    Bridal showers are for household stuff. 2 of my very good friends did give me lingerie at my bachelorette party which was fine. One person gave me a teddy at my shower despite having been told it was inappropriate.... Opening it in front of our moms and his grandma was mortifying. FWIW, as long as it's not risqu, a shorts and tank set sound okay... It's certainly not a traditional gift IMHO, and if anything you can wear it on laundry day. I wouldn't go out and register for bras and panties because your friend says you should. She will give what she wants...just smile and send a thank you card I guess.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bahh If i wouldve put two and two together when she said she was putting my sizes on there, I wouldve said no!

Poop, I guess ill be getting the word out.. startinnng now! Shower is in 15 days! 

and FWIW, I wasnt being serious about the registering for lingerie. Im not that that wide-eyed (: I just said that because noone would even know what I'd like. But I would never,ever, ever go into VS and ask to "start a registry" hahaha 

Thanks guys, Ill gladly call my sister and tell her she is not right 
  • Options
    michelle221michelle221 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I don't think there's anything wrong with gifts of lingerie at a shower. It adds a little spice to all the "boring" household items. Nothing embarrassing about wanting to look feminine and sexy for your new husband. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards