Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

housewarming

So DH and I have recently purchased a new home. :)  We move in in a few weeks and have been going back and forth with the idea of a housewarming party.

Obviously buying a home and moving are two pretty expensive things, so, we talked about the idea of a potluck party. We would provide hot dogs and hamburgers and drinks while asking that people bring a side dish or dessert to share.

I am not sure if I am completely comfortable with the potluck idea (never had one, i've always provided everything) So I was wondering what you all thought?  would you be offended or turned off by the invitation?

Should i forget the whole thing?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: housewarming

• Options
    For a house warming party, I think it is definently ok to do a potluck as far as sides go, but like you said, you two should provide the main course and drinks.
  • Options
    I think that sounds great! 
    Anniversary
  • Options

I think it is OK if it is on a voluntary basis..."we will have x, y and z and you can bring something if you would like"

• Options
    I would personally probably add a salad and a dessert (pasta salad and boxed brownies are cheap and easy) so that even if no one else brought anything you'd have a complete meal.  Otherwise I think it sounds A-Okay.
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I guess I'll go against the grain and say I'm not okay with this being potluck.  If I were invited I'd still offer to bring a dessert or something but if you're hosting a party you should provide....
  • Options
    Potlucks are always ok, in my book, for casual events such as BBQs.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    This is how things like housewarming parties, Superbowl parties, BBQs, and other casual get togethers are done in my circle.  I just sent out a Facebook message tonight inviting friends over for a get-together, and I asked everyone to bring a side to share.  In my circle, for large events like this, everyone brings alcohol to share, too.  It's not really BYOB, because everyone shares with everyone else, but our circle never has just the host provide all of the drinks.  So, in my circle, this would be perfectly fine, but I would say it's a know-your-crowd situation.  

Edit: Ditto Kate's advice on having a little something extra prepared.  I usually make pasta salad and brownies to supplement whatever guests bring.  
  • Options
    Sounds good to me as long as you provide a main dish.  We do this a lot with friends especially summer BBQ's they provide most of the meals and friends are invitied to bring sides and desserts.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_housewarming?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c71e4c71-9dbb-444e-8192-3337cd09f962Post:6afcc6e2-9f20-47ca-b23a-57ef6ddd3a1d">Re: housewarming</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess I'll go against the grain and say I'm not okay with this being potluck.  If I were invited I'd still offer to bring a dessert or something but if you're hosting a party you should provide....
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  When I am invited to a party- no matter what it is- I expect to be hosted.  At the same time I will usually offer to bring dessert or some type of alcohol.  You can also just have a housewarming cocktail party and then you won't need all of the meal courses.
  • Options
    MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    How big is this party?

Most of my family events are pot luck and I think it's fine.

Personally, when I host, I make sure to have enough bulk food to entertain if no one were to bring anything. So you might plan  hot dogs, hamburgers, drinks, I agree with at least 1 salad, maybe add a pasta or potato salad too and throw baked beans in the crock pot? chips are cheap too.

I might ask close family members to bring something like the desserts. Many people will probably offer something.

For our housewarming, FMIL and I enough food to host people and then others called me to volunteer more and then some people automatically brought something.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    I think what you are planning sounds fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards