Wedding Etiquette Forum

Receiving line

is it ok to just have us in the receiving line and no one else?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Receiving line

• Yep. That's what we did. Made it far easier.
  • definitely; cuts down on the awkwardness for your guests who don't know your parents or BP :-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_receiving-line-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f194f18b-16d2-489a-8153-f671f38bdea6Post:296c69a6-2485-463d-a8fd-6eec284b4053">Re: Receiving line</a>:
    [QUOTE]definitely; cuts down on the awkwardness for your guests who don't know your parents or BP :-)
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

Omg thats totally a great point... i was thinking to save time, but thats a great point also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So then my next question is.... how to I tell my FMIL with out her freaking out? My mother will be ok with this but my FMIL seems to think this entire wedding is about her.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_receiving-line-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f194f18b-16d2-489a-8153-f671f38bdea6Post:296c69a6-2485-463d-a8fd-6eec284b4053">Re: Receiving line</a>:
    [QUOTE]definitely; cuts down on the awkwardness for your guests who don't know your parents or BP :-)

Yep.  I think it's a fine idea, OP.

Stage, interesting new sig. . . I will miss the kitty, though!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I never fully understood why the bridal party was included in receiving lines anyway. The parents, I can understand, but it's like, "Why do I need to meet, say hi, and shake hands with this girl?" 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We were the only ones in or recieving line, and didn't "tell" anyone. It never occured to us to mention it. We just stood at the end of the aisle, and hugged people as they came out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_receiving-line-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f194f18b-16d2-489a-8153-f671f38bdea6Post:8dfa3300-017a-4ba3-a50b-1ab3340ac2a2">Re: Receiving line</a>:
    [QUOTE]So then my next question is.... how to I tell my FMIL with out her freaking out? My mother will be ok with this but my FMIL seems to think this entire wedding is about her.
    Posted by Briannasteve[/QUOTE]

Well I would probably avoid as long as possible.  if/when she mentions a receiving line your FI can say "yes, Brianna and I will stand at [the church exit] to greet guests as they [leave]"  if she pushes it and says she will be in it as well then he can tell her "We won't have time for everyone to be in the receiving line if we want to get all the pictures done; we're just going to have the two of us" rinse and repeat. 

When/how are you doing it?  dismissing guests from their seats at the ceremony (in which case it *totally* makes sense for it to just be you two), as they exit the church? as they enter the reception?  the first would be the easiest to avoid her joining in anyway.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_receiving-line-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f194f18b-16d2-489a-8153-f671f38bdea6Post:6fa2c2e6-6043-4aef-859b-61c58b0d6808">Re: Receiving line</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Receiving line : Well I would probably avoid as long as possible.  if/when she mentions a receiving line your FI can say "yes, Brianna and I will stand at [the church exit] to greet guests as they [leave]"  if she pushes it and says she will be in it as well then he can tell her "We won't have time for everyone to be in the receiving line if we want to get all the pictures done; we're just going to have the two of us" rinse and repeat.  When/how are you doing it?  dismissing guests from their seats at the ceremony (in which case it *totally* makes sense for it to just be you two), as they exit the church? as they enter the reception?  the first would be the easiest to avoid her joining in anyway.

After we come out of the church.... We have confetti for our guests to throw (great photo op) then we were just going to walk through the guests, and move over to the side, near our limo and greet everyone. Then we can just hop into the limo and off for pictures... I figure our parents could greet guests at cocktail hour (which we wont be attending) or even during the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes it's fine.

We had our parents also.  Mostly because my parents were the hosts and they wanted to personally say thank you to everyone everyone who came.  Seems silly not to have MIL there also.   

Our receiving line was also the line to the bar.  Having the parents there didn't really slow down the line as they would have been there anyway.Wink

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We'll do just us and FI's parents since they are co-hosting and though I will have family there they won't be my parents.  Thanks everyone for confirming that for OP.  It helped me too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards