Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Vendor Insurance!?

So I just signed with my venue and I had already put a deposit on a photographer because I met them at a bridal show and really loved them.  I got the venue all squared away with the deposit and their coordinator contact me.  They tell me that they need insurance from my photographer who has been in business for three years and if i dont supply it they can't be at the Wedding.  The photographer says they have never needed to provide this anywhere else and I don't want to lose my deposit with them.  Does anyone know if the venue can not let them be there without insurance?  I was planning on getting my aunt to do the cake too and they said the same things applies.  Help!

Re: Vendor Insurance!?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_vendor-insurance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:d6f49306-214c-47af-a226-755f7550d54dPost:a04332a5-4d92-4d34-b1dc-03cb42af6181">Vendor Insurance!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I just signed with my venue and I had already put a deposit on a photographer because I met them at a bridal show and really loved them.  I got the venue all squared away with the deposit and their coordinator contact me.  They tell me that they need insurance from my photographer who has been in business for three years and if i dont supply it they can't be at the Wedding.  The photographer says they have never needed to provide this anywhere else and I don't want to lose my deposit with them.  Does anyone know if the venue can not let them be there without insurance?  I was planning on getting my aunt to do the cake too and they said the same things applies.  Help!
    Posted by mortonjessica[/QUOTE]

That is really wierd. I've never heard of this. Is your venue needing this to protect their property of damage or vise versa? i don't get that. Where is your venue?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    A venue owner can enforce any requirements they want; it's their property.  The insurance request is actually not that unusual, but it's also quite common for small business owners to not have it while at the same time, staff of a big business to not know of the policy and/or not enforce it.

Unfortunately in our litiguous society everyone's looking to protect themselves from an ambulance chaser type lawyer so they're probably wanting coverage for liabillity risk.  I have a bunch of friends who are in contracting fields (like painting, etc.) and they all carry umbrella liability policies in case something happens at a job and the site owner or general contractor's insurance does not cover it, whether they caused it or not; the policies are not very expensive and it really doesn't make sense for any business owner, particularly sole proprietors, to not have it.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    I'm an underwriter for an insurance company, I write insurance for small business. Given that, we do require our insureds (banquet halls, etc) to obtain certificates (proof) of insurance from all independent contractors that they have on their premises. Most likely it is the venue's insurance company who makes this requirement and they are required to comply, as it's part of their insurance contract. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards