Plus-Sized
Options

Advice on Alterations with regard to weight loss

I'm getting married in October and had to order my dress last weekend in order to have it in by September. I ordered the dress in my current size but I've been going down sizes in the months leading to the purchase of my dress due to my workout regimen. I'm nervous about the dress being too big to a point that it can't be altered down to size or to a point where it will cost as much as the dress to fix it.

Does anyone have any relevant stories or helpful advice with regard to weight loss and sizing a dress down with alterations? Realistically, how many sizes do you think you can go down where a dress can still be altered? The dress is not fitted but more or less skims the body in an a-line style with lace overlay through out entire dress.  Any advice is appreciated!

Re: Advice on Alterations with regard to weight loss

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_advice-on-alterations-with-regard-to-weight-loss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:0adb048d-3403-46c6-b4ea-ea76004339d4Post:0593a0c9-d8f5-4b9f-ba99-7452f76284e6">Advice on Alterations with regard to weight loss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married in October and had to order my dress last weekend in order to have it in by September. I ordered the dress in my current size but I've been going down sizes in the months leading to the purchase of my dress due to my workout regimen. I'm nervous about the dress being too big to a point that it can't be altered down to size or to a point where it will cost as much as the dress to fix it. Does anyone have any relevant stories or helpful advice with regard to weight loss and sizing a dress down with alterations? Realistically, how many sizes do you think you can go down where a dress can still be altered? The dress is not fitted but more or less skims the body in an a-line style with lace overlay through out entire dress.  Any advice is appreciated!
    Posted by MichelleUT04[/QUOTE]

Most dresses can be altered down 2 sizes without losing the structure of the dress.  After 2 sizes, they are basically remaking the dress.  It can still be done, but it is a LOT of work, and you will need a very good seamstress.  It also will likely be very expensive.  Just make sure you budget for extra alterations costs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards