Wedding Invitations & Paper

Save the date addressing questions

The Knot etiquette says that save the dates should have the actual people you want to invite on the address but what if the person isn't seeing anyone now and they are older (40-50)?  Is it okay to put "& Guest" then or should you just put their name and if they want to bring one more person they will ask when they get the invitation?  i don't want them to believe that i don't think they can find someone to come with them but also don't want them to feel obligated to have a date if they really don't want to.... Do i have to call / email them to find out if they plan to bring someone to my wedding a year away?

Also in the case of the save the dates only can i put people from the same household on one envelope?  There is no need for the parents, their 19 year old daughter and their 22 year old son who live in the same house to all get magnetic save the dates.... 

for example:

Mr. & Mrs. John Doe
Ms. Jane Doe
Mr. David Doe
22 Main Street
Townville, NY 55555

Let me know what you think - i am open to suggestions on the matter... Thanks

Re: Save the date addressing questions

• I don't think you need to put "and guest" on the save the date, unless you want them to know and plan to find a guest but you don't have to.  And for your next question, I am going to do what you plan on doing.  I'm going to put all their names on the save the date because I too feel that three people living in the same household don't need three magnets.  But for the invitations, I would give them all their own since they are over 18.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would put and guest on the STD if they need to make airline/travel arrangements.
  • I would put names of people who are dating your VIPs, or write "and guest" if you know they have a SO but don't know that person's name. If they are a really close family member or friend, maybe see through your family or friend 'grapevine' later (before doing the actual invitations) if they have a SO, but someone currenty single - I wouldn't add "and guest" unless you have unlimited $ and space at the reception.  You would just save 5-10 seats, in reserve, for those possible 'and guests' down the road.  We have several VIP guests (such as my fiance's mom, uncle, and aunt) who are older and might *rather big might in some cases* have a SO.
  • I put "& Guest" on mine so that they knew they could bring someone, and make arrangements in advance if they needed to.
  • thank you for the help.  One detail down.... how many more to go? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards