October 2013 Weddings
Options

Hi, I'm new!

Screen Name: BaberhamLincoln
Significant Other's Age: 26
What You Do: Laboratory Assistant
What SO Does: High Value Customer Service Rep./Account manager at Capital One
State of Relationship: Legally bound, but having a ceremony this Halloween so we can include everyone, and because I want the poofy dress celebration!
How Long You've Been Together: 7 years
How You Met: He lived with one of my best friends (she's actually my MOH). He opened the door to the apartment wearing her prom dress because they both thought it would be hilarious, and indeed it was, and no, it wasn't love at first sight. We spent many nights up together and we just came to be close friends, eventually he realized his gf was crazy and broke up with her and I realized I couldn't stand my bf and I broke up with him. Then one morning as I was leaving the apartment after a solid night of flirting I decided that was it, I had to kiss him, and we've been together ever since.
Wedding Date (if you're engaged/married): October 31, 2013
Real Babies: None yet!
Fur Babies: 2 toy poodle mixes
Loves: All things spooky and dark, awful goth music, my poodles, wine and cheese!
Hates: Closed minded people, and people that judge others so quickly without ever thinking about the other side of the story.
Pet Peeves: People slurping soup and talking with their mouths full.
Hobbies/Activities: Geocaching, crocheting, biking, gardening, just generally spending time outside with my dogs and SO
Favorite Thing About Your SO: He's so calm, unless he's working on the car. He can manage me when I've gone and flown off the handle, again. He's also the most intelligent people I've ever met.
Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He's a mess. Clothes are always all over the floor and the hamper is empty. He refuses to pay to take classes he feels he doesn't need (English, Algebra, etc.).
Describe Your Personality: High strung, but I'm learning to relax. I worry about everything all the time, all the women in my family do, and they all have had some sort of bowel issue, so I'm trying to not worry and stress all the time now in hopes that it will prevent me from having the same issues as them.
Snark Level (1 [low snark] - 10 [high snark]): ohh...probably a solid 8 at least
I've Been On TK Since: 6/9/12
How You Came to Be On TK: Was recommended by another bride I work with.
How I like my potatoes: Baked with sour cream and cheese, lots of cheese
Favorite book/author: I can't pick just one! Gregory Maguire and Chuck Palahniuk are my top favorites right now.
Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I never thought I would want to get married, some days I'm not even sure I want to go through with the ceremony, but my mom and his mom are just so excited, and oddly enough, everyone we have invited has been super excited that we are having our big ceremony, and that has been an awesome motivator for me to get my act together!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hi, I'm new!

• Options
    In Response to Re:Hi, I'm new!:[QUOTE]Screen Name: BaberhamLincolnAge: 27Significant Other's Age: 26What You Do: Laboratory AssistantWhat SO Does: High Value Customer Service Rep./Account manager at Capital OneState of Relationship: Legally bound, but having a ceremony this Halloween so we can include everyone, and because I want the poofy dress celebration! How Long You've Been Together: 7 yearsHow You Met: He lived with one of my best friends she's actually my MOH. He opened the door to the apartment wearing her prom dress because they both thought it would be hilarious, and indeed it was, and no, it wasn't love at first sight. We spent many nights up together and we just came to be close friends, eventually he realized his gf was crazy and broke up with her and I realized I couldn't stand my bf and I broke up with him. Then one morning as I was leaving the apartment after a solid night of flirting I decided that was it, I had to kiss him, and we've been together ever since.Wedding Date if you're engaged/married: October 31, 2013Real Babies: None yet!Fur Babies: 2 toy poodle mixesLoves: All things spooky and dark, awful goth music, my poodles, wine and cheese!Hates: Closed minded people, and people that judge others so quickly without ever thinking about the other side of the story.Pet Peeves: People slurping soup and talking with their mouths full.Hobbies/Activities: Geocaching,nbsp;crocheting, biking, gardening, just generally spending time outside with my dogs and SOFavorite Thing About Your SO: He's so calm, unless he's working on the car. He can manage me when I've gone and flown off the handle, again. He's also the most intelligent people I've ever met.Least Favorite Thing About Your SO: He's a mess. Clothes are always all over the floor and the hamper is empty. He refuses to pay to take classes he feels he doesn't need English, Algebra, etc..Describe Your Personality: High strung, but I'm learning to relax. I worry about everything all the time, all the women in my family do, and they all have had some sort of bowel issue, so I'm trying to not worry and stress all the time now in hopes that it will prevent me from having the same issues as them.Snark Level 1 [low snark] 10 [high snark]: ohh...probably a solid 8 at leastI've Been On TK Since: 6/9/12How You Came to Be On TK: Was recommended by another bride I work with.How I like my potatoes: Baked with sour cream and cheese, lots of cheeseFavorite book/author: I can't pick just one! Gregory Maguire and Chuck Palahniuk are my top favorites right now.Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I never thought I would want to get married, some days I'm not even sure I want to go through with the ceremony, but my mom and his mom are just so excited, and oddly enough, everyone we have invited has been super excited that we are having our big ceremony, and that has been an awesome motivator for me to get my act together! Posted by baberhamlincoln[/QUOTE] Legally bound? Like already married?

• Options
    I'm also curious on the "legally bound" state.

Welcome, though, and yes please! fur baby pictures.
  • Options
    In Response to Hi, I'm new!:
    [QUOTE]State of Relationship: Legally bound, but having a ceremony this Halloween so we can include everyone, and because I want the poofy dress celebration! 

Tell Us Something Interesting About Yourself: I never thought I would want to get married, some days I'm not even sure I want to go through with the ceremony
    Posted by baberhamlincoln[/QUOTE]

Does "legally bound" mean you are "legally married"??  I see by the "something interesting" that it doesn't seem you are married or don't consider yourself married.  Clarify for us please.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    Welcome!

Add me to the list of wondering what "legally bound" means
  • Options
    Welcome! And add me to the list of brides wondering what 'legally bound' means.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    OP, COME BACK MEOW!

• Options
    P.s. According to a different post, you are in fact, already married. What you plan to do now, is really not acceptable and gift grabby.

In Response to Re: Lets just get to the cake...:
    [QUOTE]My husband and I got married at the courthouse with our parents and best friends (another couple) as our witnesses. We had a celebration that evening at our house. My mother insisted we have a cake and ordered a beautiful black fondant covered marble cake from Publix. We invited everyone via facebook or texts/phone calls the week we decided to get hitched and we did cake cutting, but that was it. Everyone had a good time and left whenever they wanted to! No obligation to stay until after dinner or anything. Our mom's were getting antsy for the whole ceremony so this Halloween (shortly after our 3 year anniversary) we will be getting married aboard a Carnival cruise ship, since it's a time limited ceremony and reception, the whole thing will be over in two hours, which is amazing! That's not even enough time to get sloppy drunk and tell everyone how much I love them! I can't really remember a wedding that I enjoyed going to, and honestly, I hope I enjoy our wedding and I desperately hope our guests do too. Stick to what you want to do, you could even include the web address on the postcards as a lot of Vegas wedding chapels broadcast the weddings for loved ones that couldn't be there with you. All the people that are telling you to basically brace yourselves for the backlash from your family are being a bit harsh. Your friends and family love you and while they might be hurt, they will get over it, especially if you party when you get back, but I do agree that it should just be a party, not a reception. Oh, and you are definitely not the only bride that doesn't care for weddings!

• Options
    In Response to Re: Hi, I'm new!:
    [QUOTE]For those of you that are confused yes I am legally married, but we had a party and our parents really want the pagentry of the formal ceremony. We are paying for it, and we did not accept gifts previously and are not asking for gifts or money now. Thanks for calling me names though, that's awesome. Last post here, don't worry.

I'm sorry, where were we calling you names?

We were simply trying to let you know that PPDs are generally frowned upon on TK... 
  • Options

Hmm I wonder what names she was called.

• Options
    Yes, I am already legally married. I didn't dress up or do anything special when we got hitched, we had a party with a few friends. We want to be able to celebrate with all of our friends and family, and our parents are pushing for it. We did not ask or recieve money or gifts before and we are not asking for it now. We are paying for the whole ceremony and in some cases even paying for bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen suits. I'm not an attention seeker and I guess I just shouldn't have posted here. I wanted to share my happiness and share in all your's too, but it doesn't look like this was the right place, forgive me, I'm sorry. I won't be bothering you all again.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Lplions - thanks for quoting.  That was a quick DD.  I read this thread, and no one called you names.  I will try to explain this to you, and don't think I am calling you names here, but these are some of the reasons that PPDs (pretty princess days) are looked down upon:

(1) There are same sex couples in 40 states that would kill to be able to go to a courthouse and get married, without all of the pageantry that you mentioned.  You insult the institute of marriage when you imply that the fact that you are married isn't important because you didn't wear a poofy dress and have people ooo and ahhh over you.
    (2) You can only get married once (unless you get divorced).  You are already married, so you cannot get married again.  
    (3) The important part has already happened.  You are MARRIED.  What you want to do is have a party with a poofy dress and everyone talk about what a pretty princess you are.  You gave that up when you got married in courthouse.  
    (4) There is nothing wrong with a courthouse wedding.  You imply that it isn't good enough when, three years later, you decide to play dress up and have a "wedding" when you are already married.  
    (5) You had your reasons for getting married in a courthouse.  I am sure they were good ones.  But actions have consequences - if you are already married, it is insulting to come onto a wedding planning website and dismiss the fact that you are married as not important.

Get it?  No one called you names.  Although "entitled brat" comes to mind.  It really irks me when people like you act like the legal act of marriage means squat unless it comes with a poofy dress.

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    [QUOTE]Yes, I am already legally married. I didn't dress up or do anything special when we got hitched, we had a party with a few friends. We want to be able to celebrate with all of our friends and family, and our parents are pushing for it. We did not ask or recieve money or gifts before and we are not asking for it now. We are paying for the whole ceremony and in some cases even paying for bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen suits. I'm not an attention seeker and I guess I just shouldn't have posted here. I wanted to share my happiness and share in all your's too, but it doesn't look like this was the right place, forgive me, I'm sorry. I won't be bothering you all again.

JIC.

Also, the fact that you got married was the special part!!!!  What about that don't you get?  Women who have the most beautiful dress and 100k wedding can get divorced just as easily as someone who wore something out of their own closet!  The fact that you didn't have a dress or big party doesn't change the fact that you are married.  Period.

• Options
    [QUOTE]Yes, I am already legally married. I didn't dress up or do anything special when we got hitched, we had a party with a few friends. We want to be able to celebrate with all of our friends and family, and our parents are pushing for it. We did not ask or recieve money or gifts before and we are not asking for it now. We are paying for the whole ceremony and in some cases even paying for bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen suits. I'm not an attention seeker and I guess I just shouldn't have posted here. I wanted to share my happiness and share in all your's too, but it doesn't look like this was the right place, forgive me, I'm sorry. I won't be bothering you all again.

"Yes, WE are already legally married." That sounds better.

Next, this would be a vow renewal, not a wedding. And the last bolded, anywhere on this site, this is not going to be acceptable. Not just on this board, all of the boards.

• Options
    I understand wanting to celebrate. So, why not have a vow renewal party? Celebrating your anniversary would be even more fun with your friends and family, IMO. 

I guess I'm confused though... You said you're paying for the whole ceremony. Does that include the food & drinks for the party you want to have, or is it just for the dress & outfits you're asking your friends to wear?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards