Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How many cupcakes?

I'm looking at having about 125 guests. Do you think 72 cupcakes (6 dozen) would be enough? They charge per dozen, and several people I've talked to said you only need about half your numbers in cupcakes.. but I want to make sure I have enough! What do you ladies think? Thanks!

Re: How many cupcakes?

• staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Um no. Not enough.  You need to have enough for everyone to get at least one. I would be pissed if you only ordered 72 cupcakes and I was number 73 in line and didn't get one. That would make you a bad host in my eyes and I would side eye the heck out of you. Just as I am sure guests 74-125 would.

ETA: Because now I want a cupcake: If you have extra cupcakes after, bonus! More cupcakes for you! This made me happy after our wedding. I think I ate a cupcake for breakfast the morning after.

• You definitely need to have at least one per person.  I have never heard the advice to get half the number of servings of dessert as you have guests.  How many flavors are you having?  If you have a lot of flavors, I think you may need more per person in case people try multiple kinds.  
  • Whoever told you that was an idiot.

• We are doing cupcakes and the baker told us one to one and a half per guest.
  • At least one per guest, certainly. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    We did cupcakes. With 95 guests we had 100 cupcakes and 180 mini cupcakes. At the end of the night we have one full sized cupcake and a dozen minis left, that's it. If you only have cupcakes as dessert, you need at least one per guest, plus a few extra. I know my DJ and photographer had a cupcake, so think about your vendors too.
  • I'm having 135 (including wedding party) and I was told by a bakery to order 13 dozen/156 cupcakes.
  • In Response to How many cupcakes?:
    [QUOTE]I'm looking at having about 125 guests. Do you think 72 cupcakes (6 dozen) would be enough? They charge per dozen, and several people I've talked to said you only need about half your numbers in cupcakes.. but I want to make sure I have enough! What do you ladies think? Thanks!
    Posted by mElizabeth72[/QUOTE]

Huh?  This doesn't make sense.  Order at least enough for 1 per person.  I'd probably order at least 150.  I'd rather err on the side of too many than not enough.  
  • We had cupcakes.  We had about 130 people attend our wedding.  We got 130 cupcakes.

You have to have at least one cupcake per person.  What happens if 76 guests want a cupcake and you only have 75?  That would be one upset guest.

And I agree with PP.  Whoever gave you that information is an idiot.

• Thanks for the advice.. But, WOW.. a little harsh, don't you think ladies? I'd rather the advice without the rudeness, please and thanks.
  • Nobody was rude.

• People weren't rude, or harsh.  And yes, you definitely need AT LEAST one per guest.  More is better, because cupcakes are fun!  Especially if you have multiple flavors, it's good to give guests the opportunity to try another kind.
  • Calling someone an idiot isn't rude? huh..who knew.... And thanks again for the advice. I'll go with more, and I'll talk to my baker about it.
  • daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Calling someone an idiot isn't rude? huh..who knew.... And thanks again for the advice. I'll go with more, and I'll talk to my baker about it.
    No one said you were an idiot, they said your baker was an idiot for claiming you didn't need one cupcake per guest. 
  • Nobody called you an idiot.  Did you actually read the responses or just skim them?

• Viczaesar said:
    Whoever told you that was an idiot.

I didn't say anyone called ME an idiot. I'm just saying I don't appreciate the language. That's it. And yes, I did read the responses, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards