Getting in Shape
Options

delicious pond sludge

Does anyone make green smoothies or juices?  We are testing out the Vitamix's smoothie setting to make green smoothies of fruits and veggies.  Anyone have any recipes that they like?  Any tips, or combos to avoid?  I'm hoping that we find enough that are delicious enough that I can get the whole family into having more fruits and veggies in their diets.

Re: delicious pond sludge

• Options
    I make one every day for breakfast as well.

We do one handful of spinach, 1/2cup of vanilla yogurt, 1/2cup of frozen cherries, 1/2 an orange, 1 apple, and half a banana. It's really good. I add some ice to the blender at the very end to get the smoothie colder. I think, but I could be wrong, that I use more fruit than apples then most people do.

Any one have success with making the smoothie the night before and leaving it in the fridge? My friend leaves her in the fridge all day and by the afternoon it looks like sludge which isn't to appealing to me.
  • Options
    raidawn11raidawn11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    A hint to prevent a refrigerated smoothie from looking icky is to cover it with a clean dish towel while in the fridge so you don't have to see the separation and fading color. When you are ready to have some more, pop in a few more frozen berries and blend again. It should help it look a little more appetizing. Some people also make a bunch in advance then freeze it into cups or ice cube trays and either let it thaw or put it into the blender again. As far as recipes go, I usually do protein powder with almond milk then add in whatever I have around. Some favorites are walnuts, almonds, banana, spinach, ginger, pumpkin pie spice, instant coffee not all of these at once, don't worry! Also, we used to get cake flavored protein powder, so good! ETA, I use chocolate flavored powder super greens for the green nutrition.
  • Options
    The BEST website for green smoothie recipies: simplegreensmoothies.com.  They also have a facebook and Instagram where they post recipies - so it's an easy reminder if you follow them.  Just finished the 30 day challenge in April where you drink one a day.  It's a great breakfast energy booster :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards