Wedding Party

Bridesmaid dresses

I am in the process of planning our wedding. We have our colors, our "theme" which is more ike a style direction, and wedding party decided. One problem that I am coming across is that with my 9 girls they have different views with dresses. I am loving short knee legth dresses, however a couple of my bridesmaids want long ones. One is my future sister-in-law who has psorisisas which is the worst on her legs (totally understable and I want to make her comfortable) and the other is my maid of honor who just prefers longer dresses. ANYWAYS :)... My question is this:

Can you mix long and short gowns and still get a cohesive look that will look great in pictures? I want to accomodate all of my girls because I love them and want them to feel beautifull however, I don't want my pictures to look completely off. I am very visual and detail oriented.
Please help ladies!
The style of the wedding is modern vintage with a lot of romantic touches. The colors are pretty much within this photo. Laughing

Re: Bridesmaid dresses

• edited May 2013

i found these pictures, i think they will help in a round bout way

• I think as long as you stick to the same color family and fabric it should look just fine.  Here are a few pics for your reference.  The last one is really great because it shows not only different lengths, but different styles and different shades of the same color and it all works.

• I think it offers a lot of creativity to your photographer, too.  Having been both the BM in a matching dress that I hated and in a dress I got to pick and loved, I was so much happier and comfortable in the one I picked and it showed in the photos.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I think you can come up with great photographic opportunities if your BMs are in different dresses.  The important thing is that they look good in their dresses and happy to be at your wedding-if you have that element, everything else with the pictures is just detail.
  • Thank you everyone! I was leaning towards letting them choose similar styles that suit their personality and that make them feel beautiful. I want them to be able to wear it again seeing as they will be spending to purchase the dress. I just wanted a little peace of mind that it wouldn't look too "off" in the photos! I would rather have 9 happy girls than 9 unhappy ones that I am forcing into a gown that they hate. Very thankful weddings are no longer so cookie cutter! :)
  • In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone! I was leaning towards letting them choose similar styles that suit their personality and that make them feel beautiful. I want them to be able to wear it again seeing as they will be spending to purchase the dress. I just wanted a little peace of mind that it wouldn't look too "off" in the photos! I would rather have 9 happy girls than 9 unhappy ones that I am forcing into a gown that they hate. Very thankful weddings are no longer so cookie cutter! :)
    Posted by nicole_andal@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

They never had to be.  Some brides get caught up wondering how their pictures will be affected - just like you were before you posted this poll.  People are always more important than pictures. 

I agree with PP who said even if you don't like the look of different style dresses, many dresses are available in both long and short.  And TBH, there are a few long shots of my WP but the best ones are the waist-up and close-up shots, where you can see their beautiful faces :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Glad to hear! Also fyi, you may want to create another account name without your email address. There are creepers on the net you might start getting spammed.

• Yes.. I definitely want our wedding to be one of a kind and be a visual reflection of the love we have for one another and our mutual style. The groom has been 110% involved since day one! :) I just have a tendency to overly worry about the non-essential things and need outside feedback from others. I am just glad to hear that my thoughts of going short/long and similar yet different styles was alright... Sometimes this is an overwhelming process! lol

In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridesmaid dresses : They never had to be.  Some brides get caught up wondering how their pictures will be affected - just like you were before you posted this poll.  People are always more important than pictures.  I agree with PP who said even if you don't like the look of different style dresses, many dresses are available in both long and short.  And TBH, there are a few long shots of my WP but the best ones are the waist-up and close-up shots, where you can see their beautiful faces :)
    Posted by daveANDkristen[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards