Offbeat Weddings
Options

Performance Ideas

My soon to be husband and I are massively into the performing arts so we are both doing a performance at the reception. Since our wedding has a Disney theme I had this Enchanted themed performance ready. Two things happened though. 1. he guessed it and 2. my venue changed from my hometown Ft. lauderdale to his Tampa. My dance friends can't make it up that way so I had to axe the idea. I need a new one pronto so I can teach my bridesmaids. It has to be disney themed Lion King or Enchanted a plus

I posted this on another board and didn't get the response I wanted, so allow me to state a few more things.
1. I am not looking for a yes or no. This IS going to happen
2. No I don't want to make it my wedding dance
3. I am not an amatuer neither is my fiance we both have been performing our whole lives

Re: Performance Ideas

• Options
    People move from board to board on TK.  You're just going to get the same answers here, or worse since you insulted everyone in your last post.  But I'll try to tell you what you want to hear...

You're a professional performer--do you normally choreograph your own dances?  If not, hire a professional choreographer and be sure to pay your BMs for their performance, since they are professionals as well.  I'm sure a pro can assist you better than a bunch of ladies on an internet forum.  I vote for an off-broadway production of "Circle of Life," complete with full animal costume and a live giraffe.  
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.  You should be asking your BMs if they want to do it, and what they are comfortable doing. 
    I personally hate the idea of making my bridal party perform in some way, especially if they are not performers who would be comfortable with the idea.  And as a guest, I am not a fan of watching these bridal party performances, especially when you can tell they're not totally into it.  It makes it painful for both the bridal party and the guests.
  • Options
    My biggest concern with this is one that its already mentioned... your BMs. These are your nearest and dearest who want to be there to support you in your wedding but that doesn't mean tthat they are comfortable doing a performance art pieces with you. Have you asked them where they stand?
  • Options
    Siren89Siren89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I would vote to sit back and enjoy your wedding.  I love the idea of disney themed performances, but if you are a professional dancer and your bm's are not, you are going to end up being disappointed.  If it were me, I would hire silk climbers to perform.  They can pull you into a piece if you want, and it can be altered to fit your theme.  
  • Options
    I think its an awesomely cute idea. i have my own experience in musical theatre so i can relate. Make sure all of your bridesmaids are on board. if they aren't it wont turn out like you want it to. i myself thought about having a friend simply perform a ballet since i love ballet so that i don't have to learn it and sweat. the concept here would fit into royalty because you are now the king and queen and your court (friends) want to show you their love. 
    then you also just need 1 person to agree. 
  • Options
    I think its an awesomely cute idea. i have my own experience in musical theatre so i can relate. Make sure all of your bridesmaids are on board. if they aren't it wont turn out like you want it to. i myself thought about having a friend simply perform a ballet since i love ballet so that i don't have to learn it and sweat. the concept here would fit into royalty because you are now the king and queen and your court (friends) want to show you their love. 
    then you also just need 1 person to agree. 
    I..... just..... can't.....
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The song Shadowland from The Lion King stage musical would be something that could fit into a wedding performance, but it's such an emotional song. I'd be afraid of crying the whole time, or causing guests to cry, but emotional reaction can be good. I think this sounds really interesting and could go over really well. Plus you never said your bridesmaids weren't capable of dancing with you so I think you'll be fine.
  • Options
    I don't really have any good ideas for you but I just want to comment on how unfairly negative some of these comments are. I'm sure that she's already talked to her bridesmaids about this and she wouldn't be going through with it if they weren't okay with it. I think it's a wonderful idea. I love the idea of some personal entertainment for the guest and I love that you both want to perform something meaningful. I wish people on these boards would be more supportive of each other and not so negative to others ideas about their weddings. It's your wedding, you can do what you want. 

My FI and I are doing a theater theme, getting married on a stage, and are encouraging people to perform skits, two of his friends are in talks of performing a duel. 
  • Options
    It's not lion king or tangled but what about "A Tale as old as Time" ?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards