Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!!

OKay so there is a reception venue down the street that im ABSOLUTELY in love with! I got the price list yesterday and their package pricing includes EVERYTHING! The cake, DJ, food, decorations, etc. The only problem with this is I have my own vendors I would like to use; like my MOH's sister will be making my cake (for free) and I have two friends that are wedding DJ's and another group of friends that are in a local band that I wanted to play at my wedding. And as far as decorating, I wanted to do everything myself to save money!  Also, although the food look delightful-the prices are outrages for per person over 100 guests.

I asked the venue if I could modify the package and have a prorated price instead, but they came back with a stong NO.

What do I do?? I have always planned on my wedding being here, but I want to be able to have my own vendors and make my own decisions for MY WEDDING!!

do i sound like a bridezilla yet?? L0L

Re: Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!!

• Options
    Your choices are to use their vendors or to pick a different venue. I don't understand why you seem to think there should be another option. It's obviously their policy to not allow outside vendors, so you have to respect that or not give them your business.
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    You need to decide on this venue with their vendors or another venue with your vendors.  Those are your choices.  You may not like the choices given, but that is what you have to work with.

It is the venues perogative to allow only certain vendors.  Those vendors usually pay a percentage back to the venue or they have proven themselves to be reliable and professional. 
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!!:
    [QUOTE]Your choices are to use their vendors or to pick a different venue. I don't understand why you seem to think there should be another option. It's obviously their policy to not allow outside vendors, so you have to respect that or not give them your business.
    Posted by artbyallie[/QUOTE]
    This. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Pick another venue or pony up for their vendors. They're not going to change their policy just for you. You can try to negotiate a lower price for a lower package - like cutting out the flowers and having candles instead or something.
  • Options
    Some venues will allow you to use an outside vendor, for example cake, and will then still charge you the cake price but apply that money to something else. But I don't think you'll get away with any proposal that lowers the fee they charge substantially why would they want to do that?
  • Options
    alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!!:
    [QUOTE]OKay so there is a reception venue down the street that im ABSOLUTELY in love with! I got the price list yesterday and their package pricing includes EVERYTHING! The cake, DJ, food, decorations, etc. The only problem with this is I have my own vendors I would like to use; like my MOH's sister will be making my cake (for free) and I have two friends that are wedding DJ's and another group of friends that are in a local band that I wanted to play at my wedding. And as far as decorating, I wanted to do everything myself to save money!  Also, although the food look delightful-the prices are outrages for per person over 100 guests. I asked the venue if I could modify the package and have a prorated price instead, but they came back with a stong NO. What do I do?? I have always planned on my wedding being here, but I want to be able to have my own vendors and make my own decisions for MY WEDDING!! do i sound like a bridezilla yet?? L0L
    Posted by alishabl[/QUOTE]

why not use the friends for your pre-wedding stuff like your rehearsal dinner, shower etc...

but otherwise your choices are:
    1) use their vendors
    2) go elsewhere

• Options
    [QUOTE]Your choices are to use their vendors or to pick a different venue. I don't understand why you seem to think there should be another option. It's obviously their policy to not allow outside vendors, so you have to respect that or not give them your business.

Another vote for this.

I understand you love the venue but they have a policy and it doesn't seem like they are willing to bend the rules for you.  So either use the halls vendors or pick another location.

• Options
    Yeah, many places only let you use approved vendors. It's not across the board, but something you'll see a lot. There's really nothing any of us can do to help you. It's their venue, you follow their rules.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options

Yep.

Why is this a surprise?  It seems obvious it's a full service venue.  Why would you think they would let you bring in your own people?  

If you want your own stuff you need to find a DYI venue.

Sorry.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!! : Yep. Why is this a surprise?  It seems obvious it's a full service venue.  Why would you think they would let you bring in your own people?   If you want your own stuff you need to find a DYI venue. Sorry.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this.  We have found tons in our area where you can bring your own food (even if it's not a licensed cater) but you have to decide what you want. 
  • Options
    the only locations that I found that let us bring our own vendors were community centers or state/regional park venues. 

If you are set on using your own vendors, start there.
  • Options

A few reception halls near me only allow their own vendors.   I didn't go with them because I wanted to choose my own.   If you love the venue, but think the per person price is high, ask if they discount for a part of the year.   My venue offered us 10% off the price if we had the reception in the "off season" which was October- April.   That worked out fine for us with no problems.

Also, DIYing sounds great a year out, but when it comes down to it, it takes a lot of time and stuff doesn't turn out right all the time.   The venue problably wants to ensure they have a reputation of having a certain level of decorations.   DIY stuff can not meet that expectation. 

Finally, having your friends DJ still means you have to pay them.   And they might not have their own insurance if something goes wrong or they might not have the right equipment to work in your room .

• Options
    loca4pookloca4pook member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Reception Hall wont let me choose my own vendors!!! HELP!!:
    [QUOTE]OKay so there is a reception venue down the street that im ABSOLUTELY in love with! I got the price list yesterday and their package pricing includes EVERYTHING! The cake, DJ, food, decorations, etc. The only problem with this is I have my own vendors I would like to use; like my MOH's sister will be making my cake (for free) and I have two friends that are wedding DJ's and another group of friends that are in a local band that I wanted to play at my wedding. And as far as decorating, I wanted to do everything myself to save money!  Also, although the food look delightful-the prices are outrages for per person over 100 guests. I asked the venue if I could modify the package and have a prorated price instead, but they came back with a stong NO. What do I do?? I have always planned on my wedding being here, but I want to be able to have my own vendors and make my own decisions for MY WEDDING!! do i sound like a bridezilla yet?? L0L
    Posted by alishabl[/QUOTE]

Whe n you say their prices are outragous, are you accounting for the fact that is includes all that stuff? That might balance out the "per person" rate if you had to pay for all the stuff separately. If it is like say..10.00 more per person and all is incuded, it might actually end up being cheaper than if you had to pay for all that stuff on your own..Keep that in mind

Also, if you do decide to go with them, check out their vendors ahead of time to make sure you are comfortable with them. You might actually find out you like them more.

Iagree with others. Be careful when using "friends" as vendors. Still do a contract or disasters cuold occur
  • Options
    it is Your Wedding; but it is THEIR business, and with an all-inclusive venue that is the way it goes.  The cost p/p is "outrageous" because its ALL INCLUSIVE!  Its not like you are getting charged pp for just the food.  The number includes every aspect of the wedding.

Our venue is all inclusive, including tips and taxes. Personally, way better deal and a lot less for me to do. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    What exactly do you think we can do to help you with this?  We can't make the company change their policy and we can't tell you whether your love of the venue or your desire to closely control all aspects of the wedding is more important to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards