Catholic Weddings

Prayer for marriage?

Hello ladies!

I'm ordering prayer cards for our wedding, and I'm trying to find a nice prayer to put on the back. 

So far, I've found either super long ones that won't fit, or this one:

"We thank you, O God,
for the Love You have implanted in our hearts.
May it always inspire us to be kind in our words, 
considerate of feeling, 
and concerned for each other's needs and wishes.
Help us to be understanding and forgiving 
of human weaknesses and failings.
Increase our faith and trust in You 
and may Your Prudence guide our life and love.
Bless our Marriage O God, 
with Peace and Happiness, 
and make our love fruitful for Your glory 
and our Joy both here and in eternity."

This is a nice one, and I don't mind using it, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any other good ones.

Thank you!

SaveSave

Re: Prayer for marriage?

• I found a couple:

And then Tobit and Sarah's prayer from Tobit 8:

You are blessed, O God of our fathers; blessed too is your name for ever and ever. Let the heavens bless you and all things you have made for evermore.

6 You it was who created Adam, you who created Eve his wife to be his help and support; and from these two the human race was born. You it was who said, 'It is not right that theman should be alone; let us make him a helper like him.'

7 And so I take my sister not for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.

8 And together they said, 'Amen, Amen,'

Anniversary

• @ Kristan--do you know which that was?  I didn't even know couples could choose the opening prayer.

@ Prof--Those are all great.  I really love the Tobit and Sarah one, but I'm afraid my more scripture ignorant guests, especially protestants, will think Sarah was Tobit's actual sister ;)

Thank you, ladies!  

SaveSave
  • Hmmm... should I have this book?  We've already picked our readings, but do we need to pick other things?

Is it typical to pick the prayers?  Our priest hasn't mentioned any of this yet, so I don't know.

SaveSave
  • Some have you pick some of the prayers and stuff, some prefer to choose their own. It's in the Together for Life book, but even then, I would definitely check with your priest.

I think they are on Catholic Wedding Help as well if you want to look at them for your prayer cards.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Haha, we used the Tobit reading as our OT reading, and at first we were hesitant for exactly that reason (well, and I was afraid of my very anti-Catholic grandpa shouting, "THAT AIN'T IN THE BIBLE!").  As part of his homily, our priest asked us to write down WHY we chose each reading and read our reasons out loud, so hopefully that cleared up any confusion.

Also, we got Together for Life from our church, but my SIL also gave me a copy of a book called "Your Catholic Wedding," which was essentially the same thing, so I'd bet you could find it somewhere.
    Anniversary

• This isn't marriage-specific, but we put St. Ignatius's Suscipe prayer on our program.
    Anniversary
  • Tell me about the prayer cards you had!  What a great idea!
  • That is awesome! I've never seen prayer cards at a wedding before, but it is a great idea!  Did you have them printed somewhere? I  bet I don't have time for something like that now...
  • There's also this one

Thanks, ladies!  

@ Kristan

That's beautiful!  That helps me have an idea of how to word and space things as well, thanks!

SaveSave
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards