Louisiana-New Orleans

Problems with day-of coordinator a YEAR later? Really?

I hired Merideth Reed of Belle Soiree Weddings to be my day-of coordinator for my May 26, 2012 wedding, and somehow I am still dealing with her almost a year later. (Sorry in advance for the length, but if you hired her or are thinking of hiring her, you should have this information.)

The day of my wedding, Merideth did a fine job. Other than not being able to figure out my bustle and unsuccessfully safety pinning the dress up (yikes!), she did her job well that day. The problems with Merideth came after my wedding.

Despite my mom insisting at the wedding that she take everything home with her then (top layer of cake, toasting flutes, guestbook, etc.), Merideth told my mom that she would deliver all of our wedding stuff to my parents’ house that week. After repeated attempts to call Merideth, my mom finally texted her to see if she would respond. While not answering any calls or returning any voicemails, Merideth responded to a text, telling my mom that she was out of town and to call her assistant who would take care of getting everything to my mom. So, my mom then called the assistant, and told her (I wouldn’t even think it would be necessary to tell somebody this) to call before she came by to make sure somebody was home. A pretty simple request, right? Well this girl did not call before she came, and when my mom arrived home one day that week, she found all of our wedding items sitting on the side of the house, including the top layer of our wedding cake. SHE LEFT THE TOP LAYER OF OUR WEDDING CAKE SITING OUTSIDE IN THE 90+ DEGREE NEW ORLEANS WEATHER FOR HOURS.

When my new husband and I returned from our honeymoon, my mom told me what had happened, and I decided to call Merideth and express my disappointment. I soon realized that I had to call her for another reason, because her assistant also returned the wrong toasting flutes and cake cutting set to us. I mean, the Waterford crystal set that was left on the side of my parents’ house was very nice, but we wanted to have the set we picked out for our wedding (I'm sure the bride who owned that set appreciated that). So, Merideth came to exchange the flutes and cake cutting set, and I told her about the ruined cake. She was very apologetic, and very graciously offered to buy us a new top layer of cake from Haydel’s. I wish I could say the story ends there, but it is still not over.

The next week, Merideth emailed me telling me that she ordered the cake and that it should be ready Monday for me to pick up, but she would let me know for sure when it was ready. After Monday and Tuesday had passed, I texted her asking if the cake was ready for me to get, and her response was, “I have it in my freezer! I went ahead and picked it up! Thought I sent you a msg but I guess it never went through!”

I then replied, “Great! Can I get it from you this weekend or this week?” I never received a response (still have the text message).

A month or so passed, and I posted a very short review on the Knot saying that Merideth was good the day of, that she offered to replace the ruined cake, but that I wasn’t sure if I would actually get it because of the time that had elapsed. The next day, she e-mailed me saying that the cake was in her garage freezer (“I promise it’s here!”), and that she could get it to me next week. I responded with available times and days and again never got a response.

At this point, I decided I would wait to bring it up again until more time had passed, because I was clearly getting nowhere with her (and I chalked it up to being peak wedding season at the time). Fast forward to August when hurricane Isaac hit, and Merideth posted on Facebook that she lost power (as many of us did for very extended periods of time). I then thought to myself that this “cake” she had “in her freezer” was ruined now after sitting in a garage freezer without power. (this information will come into play in a bit).

Now fast forward to April 2013- a few weeks ago. I e-mailed Merideth a very cordial but straight-forward message essentially explaining that she never followed through on her promise to us, and that it would be the right thing to do to for her to rectify the fact that her assistant damaged our property. In the e-mail I mentioned that I knew she lost power during the hurricane and that the cake she previously got was no longer good.

This was her response:

“Of course I remember you! No worries at all- I moved the cake to my parents house and it is still good! Don't worry! I would never let you go without cake! Can you believe it's been a year?! I'm out if town until Monday but will be free Tuesday on of next week! Let me know when is convenient for you and we can exchange! Hope you have a great weekend!”

I then responded that I would be available Tuesday after 3:30PM, and asked if that would work for her. No response.

It’s been almost a week since we were supposed to “meet up” that Tuesday, and since contacting her is getting me nowhere, I decided to post a review on the Knot.

This is not a “OMG NEVER USE THIS PERSON EVVVERRRR” post, but I just want to send a warning to brides that if you use Merideth Reed do not entrust anything of value to her or especially to her assistant, and you probably want to take what she says with a grain of salt (I mean, who really would think to grab the four month old wedding cake replacement from their garage freezer when evacuating for a hurricane?)

I hope this post will ensure that no other brides have their precious wedding things left on the side of a house to melt, get rained on, or worse, get stolen.

Re: Problems with day-of coordinator a YEAR later? Really?

• I'm so sorry for your frustration. A wedding planner can either be your saving grace or your main source of frustration. When you pay for a service, you shouldn't have to deal with the headaches. I empathize with you. and I hope everything eventually works out.

You should tell her that she no longer owes you just a cake - she should also buy a gift certificate for you and your husband to enjoy dinner on your anniversary. It's the least she can do. 

Reliability is a core competency of being a decent planner and it's unfortunate that she hasn't mastered it.

Best of luck!
  • I know this planner has gotten questionable reviews in the past and I realize your cake was important but I don't know about this one.  Reading your story carefully, an assistant delivered the wrong items and ruined your cake.  You called and told Meredith what happened and then she met you with the right toasting flutes and cake knife.  She offers to buy you another cake tier, and she doesn't follow through but then you let almost a half a year go by before starting everything up again, despite at one point giving her a decent review.

You hired her for day of, which she provided to your satisfaction and now a year later you're really only out a top tier of cake, that actually can't TRULY be replaced.  You really just want her to buy you a small cake at Haydel's to feel better about this? It wont be the cake from your wedding day, which is what the tradition is all about.  I think this might just have to be chalked up to an unfortunate wedding mishap, like your photographer missing your first kiss. You can't ever really get that back just by dressing up another day to shoot the moment again.  I think it's the same as the cake.  Your wedding cake top was sadly, ruined and can't really be replaced.

I don't see what more can be done here really, and while giving you a gift certificate might be a nice gesture on her part, I certainly wouldn't ask for one.  Either ask for the dollar amount of the cake top (though I still argue that deosn't really replace what you've lost, which is more the sentimental value of the cake than money), or just write this off as a small disappointment in an otherwise wonderful day so you can close the chapter on something that's now dragged on for a year.
  • I totally agree that not getting a replacement cake is not the end of the world, nor is this even about the cake.

I don't think that the assistant leaving all of our stuff on the side of a house, which could have easily been stolen, is just a mishap though, and I would hate for that to happen to someone else.

My biggest problem with the aftermath is not that we did not receive a cake replacement, but rather the unprofessional nature of our correspondence. Consistently offering to meet up and never responding (and also very likely lying about ever getting a replacement) is very unprofessional to me, and it would have been better for her to just not offer it at all. I think this speaks to what she could possibly be like for someone who hires her- not following through, not being professional, etc.
  • grneydswthrtgrneydswthrt member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013

Do you have an update? I'm curious! 

• I had a very similar experience, although our item in question was my sister-in-law's very expensive camera. I got prompt responses from Meredith (that never led anywhere) until I posted my online review, and then responses were much more difficult to get. I think OP's point is that, whether your planner is day-of or more, when it has to do with items you need to get back, all you want is the same courtesy that any other vendor would give you - a prompt and truthful reply.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • UPDATE:

Apparently this review was the trick to gain some follow through, because just after posting, Merideth contacted me about giving me the cake "she had since June," and the next week she delivered the cake. Glad this is done.

Although, you should all know that my husband and I found out (through a friend we have that works at the bakery) that Merideth ordered that replacement cake two days before giving it to us. As we suspected, she never ordered a cake last June and consistantly lied to us for almost a year about having a cake to give to us (so every time she offered a date to meet up, she obviously had no intention to do so, because she never even ordered the cake). Just wanted to include that because, honestly, I wouldn't want someone who blatantly lies and disrespects a past client for a year as my coordinator.
  • I'm confused. You got the cake at the end of the day right? I would think she would order the cake right before she gave it to you anyways. Who wants a year old frozen cake that really isn't the actual cake? If you never got the cake I could totally understand being upset.  But you got the cake before your anniversary and all is right in the world! Why continue to be upset? I'm sure any date she offered before she would have gone to order the cake. Or get you a better cake, you never know! She could have just not followed through and  you end up with having to replace your own cake. I would be happy you received your item and move along with married life darling :)
  • Did I say I was upset? No. I simply relayed the facts, because I personally would not want want to work with someone who lies- that is all. She could have easily said that she didn't order it last June, but instead she lied about picking it up, keeping it in her garage freezer, and moving it to her parents house during a hurricane. Why go through all of that trouble when the truth is so much easier.

And no offense, but it seems like you are a friend of Merideth's, especially considering the fact that you are following this post awfully closely, and, until today, the majority of your posts/replies on the knot were positive things about/defending Belle Soiree. Just saying.
  • grneydswthrtgrneydswthrt member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013

Awfully closely? I comment on a wide variety of post whenever I choose to browse through the boards. You are replying, and so am I. Just because I have a different opinion than yours (like the above poster who made excellent points) doesn't mean I know Meredith personally. She was our planner, and did a fabulous job on our 2011 wedding.  Please don't pull that card.

All I'm saying is in your original post you went from saying she did a great job the day of, the error was from her assistant(but is still a reflection on her), she offered (when she didn't have to) to fix it, the cake can't actually be replaced, and that you waited a year to bring it up. Within a week (and you got the cake!!!!!!!) your tone has changed. I would be grateful you got the cake, and you can now move on with married life. Don't pick apart the girl over trivial details. Cheers, love! I'm out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards