Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Family question

Some background: My dad is not close at all with his side of the family.  They don't really get along and I could count the times I have seen any of them on one hand.  Everyone is totally okay with this, but now it has but me in a difficult situation.  My aunt on that side of the family was sent a save the date, as she was the only one my dad asked to have invited.  No problem!  I was happy to do it, since it was asking so little.  However, she sent me back an email congratulating me, and asking if I would also invite her grown children and their spouses.  I really don't have room on my guest list, since I am planning a small wedding, exactly as I wanted.  And I barely know them.  I wasn't expecting this since it is literally the first time I have had contact with her in almost 10 years.  How do I tell her "no" without being rude?  

Re: Family question

• Options
    In Response to Re: Family question:
    [QUOTE]You just tell her you are having a small wedding and can't accommodate additional guests, and that you look forward to seeing her.
    Posted by scribe95[/QUOTE]

This.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Options
    I'm with PP's.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Ditto to PPs. Email her back and say "unfortunately, we are unable to accomodate any add'l guests at the wedding.  I look forward to seeing you", and leave it at that.  I wouldn't give her any reasons why, because that leaves you open to arguments and suggestions.  For example: "Sorry Auntie, we're on a limited budget, so we can't accomodate any other guests".  "Oh, then in that case, Niece, I'm happy to pay for their plates."
    See what I mean?  Just firmly and politely respond with a no.
    My sister had to deal with this kind of shenanigans.  Most of the advice I gave her was thanks to my TK knowledge. :)
  • Options
    I hope that blows over well with your aunt- people get touchy when you turn them down. Honestly, a small intimate wedding with people you actually know and have a relationship with is the best and the most difficult at times because everyone wants to make the cut. I am having a hard time keeping it under 55 personally for my wedding in November. If that's all you can afford then so be it.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards