Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Bridal Shopping -Where to go for the best customer service?

My wedding is in 9 months and next month, I will be going dress shopping. I am not exactly excited for the experience. I have read various reviews on bridal stores in the Pittsburgh area plus have talked to others in person about horrible customer service.

I am a little afraid because I don't fit into a sample size and some might consider me "plus size."

Can you share with me your experience? Where do you suggest going? What about friends' experiences-where did they go? All in and around the Pittsburgh area..

I don't have a particular brand -just a style in mind.
Anniversary

Re: Bridal Shopping -Where to go for the best customer service?

• edited December 2011
    Check out Koda Bridal if you want to get into sample sizes. I did not buy a dress from here but did go so I would be able to try on dresses. It's a small shop and there was very personal and friendly customer service.

I ultimately bought my dress from Babe's Broadway Bridal in New Ken. This is a smaller store but I loved all the ladies there. They stock Allure and Maggie Sottero bridal gowns and a variety of bridesmaids gowns. They did have a "plus size" gown in store to try on (which I did to get an idea on color).
    Awesome preview from our photographer, Caitlin Thomas, featuring flowers created by Paulette, The Urban Gypsy. Photobucket
  • pantherRNpantherRN member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress from M'Kaysha's Bridal Lane in Greensburg. The extra drive was well worth it, I can't say enough good things about them. I also went to DB on McKnight Road (Jessica was my consultant) and Bridal Beginning in Mt. Lebanon (Cheryl was my consultant). I had great experiences at both places. Just remember though those reviews are opinion and we all interpret people and actions differently.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • majoret017majoret017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Bridal Beginning...they REALLY went out of their way for me...I prolly went in 5 times looking for a dress and they did not give up helping me.  Ask for Dorothy or Leslie....both are amazing!  MB Bride in greensburg was very nice (I had Jessica) or Carrie Ann's in Canonsburg was nice.  Carrie Ann carries larger sizes.  MB is very limited on sizes so be careful there but they have a big selection in general.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I HIGHLY recommend both exquisite bride locations!  The consultants at both locations were extremely helpful and knowledgeable.  I was not rushed... it was not crowded... and they bring you dresses the totally compliment every curve  in your body.

One other thing....  I was (and I still am) in love with two dresses (1 from Alfred Angelo and the other from their store) and my consultant said "I am not on commission, so go home and look at all of your photos and then you decide."

I really appreciated that.... I hate when I feel pressured into buying stuff.

Anyway, you should definetly try them out.  You'll enjoy it!
  • edited December 2011
    I ditto Carrie Ann's in Canonsburg.  I didn't shop here for my dress, but my mom got her dress here and they are so friendly and personable!  It's a small shop, but they really take care of you.  I really can't say enough good things about this shop:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at White Orchid in the South Hills.  I had fantastic customer service on both a Saturday morning and a Wednesday night.  They were totally empty on Wednesday though so it was just me, SIL and flower girl in the whole shop.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jmbahrjmbahr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to MB Bride in Greensburg.  I'm also a plus size, and didn't really look forward to squeezing my fat ass into sample sizes. They had a lot of the dresses I wanted to try in plus sizes.  They were super nice and really helpful.  The lady who worked with me isn't there anymore, but they all  were super nice.  The alterations were a little sketchy, but that had a lot to do with me living so far away and only had two fittings.
  • eddiesgirl11eddiesgirl11 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am also plus size and went shopping this weekend at Bridal Beginnings.. in my opinion I probably would not go back. I told the consultant that this was my first time trying dresses on yet she still kept pushing me to buy! I gave her a style that I wanted( a-line)and she brought in every style BUT the A-line. The overall atmosphere is puhsy. My cousin got her dress here and said they were great until she paid then it was like she did not exist. AGAIN this is JMO... for what it is worth....

MB Bride is great... my sister went there and had a great experience. I will be heading there next!! Fingers crossed.

• edited December 2011
    I also bought my dress at MB Bride in Greensburg - Sue was my consultant...she was fantastic!  I am also "plus-size" and they had a ton of dresses for me to try on.  I have had 2 alteration appointments...and they have gone really well!  We also bought the bridesmaid dresses there - although if you have anyone plus size, they will not be able to try on.  Most dresses are only sample sizes.  All in all - an awesome experience!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ljs283ljs283 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alfred Angelo in Monroeville!! I went dress shopping there and bought my dress on the first visit....a year before my wedding. The last couple of weeks I was second guessing my decision and Geoffrey, the manager, was so helpful in didn't push me to get the 2nd dress even though it more expensive. And besides, they have a no exchange, no return policy, but in the end , I ended up changing my dress with no problems despite their return policy! Great staff!!
    Everything happens for a reason; Don't regret anything you've done in the past because at some point it's what you wanted
  • adugadug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went alllll the way up to The Winner in Sharon, PA but it was fantastic! I'm a fairly relaxed bride when it comes to dress shopping, so I showed my consultant pictures of dresses I liked and let her go at it. My mom was keen on my trying all kinds of dresses regardless of the price. I did that at first, and my mom fell in love with a $1,000 dress. It got to a point where I told my consultant that I needed to try on dresses in my price range, and I found the perfect dress for $100 less than I was willing to spend. My consultant also loved working with me because I was willing to try on different styles to see how they looked even though I was interested in A-line.

I am plus sized as well, and they were very accomodating to that. I recently lost two dress sizes before shopping, but then I found out they make wedding gowns two sizes smaller, so I was back in my orignal size!

My whole experience was me basically going: Once I find a dress that looks good on me and that's in my price range, I'll get it!

My future MIL and two of my bridesmaids also got their dresses the same day - I'm letting my maids pick their own dresses in my color scheme. My mom plans to make a visit sometime soon to get her dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice ladies.

I went shopping this weekend and ordered my dress yesterday. It was a better experience than I thought it was going to be.

However, I will never recommend MB Bride. The service was awful!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_bridal-shopping-customer-service?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:6ab111be-c654-49fb-b6a5-3af6dfa79fc8Post:43e353ab-79c4-4bc8-983d-02808700153e">Re: Bridal Shopping -Where to go for the best customer service?</a>:
    [QUOTE]However, I will never recommend MB Bride. The service was awful!
    Posted by mhaas412[/QUOTE]

Aww.  That stinks.  I went back twice and had a really good experience both times.  Was it a busy Saturday or a new consultant?  Where did you end up getting your dress?

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards