Plus-Sized

Being told to enter a brides-to-be weight loss competition is never nice :(

I was a size 18 before I got engaged and have already been able to drop down to a size 16. I was very happy and asked my Mum and sisters to go wedding dress shopping with me. However, they kept asking me "don't you want to lose any more weight first?". I would like to but I am confident enough to walk down the aisle as I am, not to mention my lovely fiancee says he thinks I look great just as I am. 

That's why I was so shocked when my older sister's girlfriend sent me a link to http://dailysport.co.uk/news/big-fat-lottos-and-the-big-fat-thin-brides/, and told me that I should check out the competition. :( Basically it's a competition where overweight brides-to-be have to lose weight and the one who loses the most wins £5,000.

I don't know if she meant to offend me with it, I mean she is a pretty blunt person but we've always seemed to get along. It was upsetting when I had already had to deal with my family asking me if I was going to lose anymore weight but to have her imply that I need to enter this competition was pretty horrible. I decided not to reply but am thinking about telling my sister about it, although I am scared she will just agree with her. I was so happy with my progress but now I feel like I need to do more. It's a struggle. 

Re: Being told to enter a brides-to-be weight loss competition is never nice :(

• Its always gonna be a struggle. I was doin great for myself and lost 50lbs and felt a lot better about myself. I gained most of it back. My grandmother tells me I need to lose that weight again. She doesn't push or anything just tells me I was a lot happier then. If u feel comfortable wit yourself don't let family put u down. You'll be beautiful no matter what u look like.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know, and the most important thing is that my fiancee is happy with how I look. It's just difficult to feel confident when you're family thinks you should be losing more weight. And that competition link was just the salt on the wound. I don't even know how to ask them to come wedding dress shopping with me again. My best friend says she will come with me, but I really want my Mum and sisters to be there too. 
  • jessi3617jessi3617 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I would ask them to come along wit you also ask your best friend to as well. And if they bring it up you can stick up for yourself by saying thanks ladies but I look gorgeous.. don't try saying I don't. Also your bff will then stick up for you as well. My fl loves everything about me. I'm a size 18 use to be a 12 but things change and if someone has a problem wit it that's on them not you. If your confident in how you look don't change it for someone else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I texted my sister at lunch time and she said she would love to come dress shopping with me. Just no mention of weight loss or daily sport competitions and it will all be good :)
  • AllieBear725AllieBear725 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    WOW. I can't belive the nerve of someone to send you that! I would be offended too!

I am a size 16 and not happy with the way I look, but gosh! 

I am SO sorry that happened to you. Don't let ANYONE make you feel bad for your weight! You are beautiful the way you are and NO1 needs to tell you otherwise! 

What is wrong with people these days!?!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I waited to find a dress, thinking I wanted to lose more weight.  It was a mistake. It limited me to certain dresses as many have to be ordered 6 months or more before the wedding.  I regret waiting.  Any dress can be taken in by a good tailor.  And once I picked my dress, I was really motivated to look even better in it and lose weight.
  • If your groom didn't think you were beautiful, you wouldn't be getting married.  Pfoey on your sister.  Her opinon doesn't count.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    WOW! I would have been devastated to me also! I too am so sorry that you had to feel that. You, my friend are a beautiful woman. Its obvious by the confidence you have!! You feel good! You have accomplished loss and you WERE satisfied and pleased with it! Maintain that strength and confidence!!! I wish I had your confidence! He loves you just the way you are..and even when you were more! Plain and simple! The love of his life will be standing across from him sharing vows of a lifetime...Im sure you could wear a garbage bag...and he will see only beauty!

Familys opinions do count enough to cut deep but dont let them steal your joy. Im sure they wouldnt want to! People project things onto us because its often what they "think" they would feel or how they do feel about themselves. Truly, their suggestions, most of the time, have nothing to do with us. They just think they know what we feel! You..felt confident! Stay confident!!!

btw...you may want to send a "link" back to her about being classy not rude and thoughtless! ;) Good luck and congrats!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Sorry that they were mean to you. It must really have hurt. When you have a fiance that loves you, hold on to that and don't worry about the "noise".

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards