Destination Weddings Discussions

Invites question

We are getting married in Ireland or Italy... haven't found the right package yet. We are planning on inviting everyone we would have invited if we got married at home because most of our friends and family look for excuses to travel, and who knows - they might be able to make it. Can we put our plan to have another party at home for those who can't make it, or does it look tacky to do so? I know that when it comes to destination weddings people tend to think elope or don't do it at all, but that's not how my family rolls.

I'm not looking for two receptions, I just want to know how best to let people know there is no pressure to attend, and that we'd still love to celebrate with them once we get home.

Re: Invites question

• Sorry I am no help!

I think some people sent two separate invitations and then the RSVP card allowed them to choose whether they'd attend the DW or the At home reception or both.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I don't know what the correct etiquette is, so I may be offering terrible advise.... but, FI and I planned out AHR the weekend after our wedding in the Bahamas (we get married the 18th, AHR is the 25th).  We knew when planning that most of his family would be unable to make it and my family doesn't live near us, so it would be a DW for them regardless.  We included invitations to both in the envelope, and the RSVP card said something along the likes of "____ attending Bahamas ceremony, ____ attending Houston celebration, _____ declining"

It seems to have worked well with our friends and family, but I'm not sure how it would work if you planned the 2 events with larger gaps between them.

Good luck planning, and Italy/Ireland both sound awesome! 
  • pbi9994pbi9994 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Thanks you guys, that's a big help! I'm new to the knot, and some of these forums are really nasty towards destination brides. Or, I guess anyone who doesn't do things their way?

I think I'm going to post questions solely in this forum from now on...
  • You've found the right place and I do hope you stick around!  I've been around for awhile and ALL of the ladies I've met here have been AWESOME!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • A destination wedding is a great way to see family and friends.  One big tip I have to is to have a travel agent.  They can be your main point of contact, for everything dealing with travel, hotel and excursions.  This will transfer all question everyone is asking you to the travel agent.  I love the thought of a local get together, for those who can't make it.  We are planing a cruise wedding Nov 2014 with a small dinner reception on the ship.  Then a local fun casual BBQ the following spring. There family can share photos.  Good luck on the plans. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards