Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Marriage Cert & Passports

We are going on a cruise to the Carribean for our honeymoon, but not going until 2 weeks after our wedding. I won't be changing my last name until after our honeymoon due to my passport having my maiden name on it.  I was told we may want to take our marriage certificate with us just in case there is a problem getting onto the ship.  I don't want to lose our marriage certificate, but not sure if they would accept a copy.  Any thoughts?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Marriage Cert & Passports

• Options
    Can I ask why you think you need to bring your marriage certificate?    Not to be mean, but no one really cares if you are married.  They only care if your ID matches your tickets.

On another note we didn't even get our certificate until 3 weeks out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Yea, why do you even need it if you have everything booked in your maiden name?
    Dreaming of our Hawaiian honeymoon! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You probably won't even have your marriage certificate by the time you leave.
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Marriage Cert & Passports:
    [QUOTE]A friend told me (no, obviously not official) that even after you change your name you don't HAVE to change your passport right away since it's an alias for you. After your name is changed you'll always have two names in the system, so your old passport will work until you need to renew it. Check that out obviously, but that's what I've heard.
    Posted by Wheels987[/QUOTE]

Actually, that is not exactly true.  You are required to have your passport in your CURRENT LEGAL name. The gov't (our or other gov't) are not really fond of people traveling under an alias.

That said, I have never seen anyone having a problem traveling on their old name. As long as the ticket and passport match names it's generally ok.   Then again most people travel without any issues.  Should some unforeseen situation come up there could be a problem.   Even something simple like baggage has your new name on the tags but you are traveling under your maiden name could cause an issue or at least a delay while they figure out you are one and the same.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Am I the only one who didn't have to wait to receive my marriage license?  We had the license with us the day of the wedding.  Our officiant signed it and ripped off the copy that had to be sent in to the city in which we married.  Since there were multiple copies we already had our copy the day we got married.  I never even knew that in other areas you had to wait to receive your marriage license.  Learn something new everyday!

• Options
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who didn't have to wait to receive my marriage license?  We had the license with us the day of the wedding.  Our officiant signed it and ripped off the copy that had to be sent in to the city in which we married.  Since there were multiple copies we already had our copy the day we got married.  I never even knew that in other areas you had to wait to receive your marriage license.  Learn something new everyday!
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

We had our 'decorative' copy the day of the wedding (ie, the top portion of our marriage license, the bottom gets sent in to the state), but that does not count as a certified copy that can be used for changing your name.

We got our certified copy about 3 weeks after the wedding, which means that the state has officially recorded your marriage.  It's a ripoff though considering we had to pay an additional $26.50 to receive a 'certified' copy, which was literally a photocopy of the bottom portion of our license and then embossed with the state seal.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marriage Cert & Passports : We had our 'decorative' copy the day of the wedding (ie, the top portion of our marriage license, the bottom gets sent in to the state), but that does not count as a certified copy that can be used for changing your name. We got our certified copy about 3 weeks after the wedding, which means that the state has officially recorded your marriage.  It's a ripoff though considering we had to pay an additional $26.50 to receive a 'certified' copy, which was literally a photocopy of the bottom portion of our license and then embossed with the state seal.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Our top copy was our official/certified copy.  I have used it to change my name at the SS office and the bank and the five hundred other places that have asked for a copy of my marriage licences :)  We can request a copy of our license if needed but once the bottom portion of the license was mailed in that was it for us.

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We brought our marriage license/certificate since we were going to be out of the country. In a worst case scenario, if one of us was in the hospital (or jail !!!) we wanted to be able to prove we were legally married. Obviously, neither of those things happened, but I wouldn't have wanted to take that risk.
  • Options
    Wheels987, I know it's not official, but that's why I'm asking.  We were told it would be a good idea just in case there was a problem.  My sister & cousin both actually had a problem like this with a cruise for their honeymoons.  We put down when booking our cruise that we were celebrating our marriage/honeymoon, not like that would have anything to do with our passports right then, but apparently they do something for you if you're celebrating that.  And MrsGandthebeag, we will have our marriage certificate/license at the wedding. jemmini6, I didn't know that in other areas you had to wait either.  We actually get 3 full copies of it, & after signing 2 copies go back to the courthouse & we keep one. It states on each MC which one goes where.  Anyway, I was just curious b/c we were told to bring our MC with us & just wanted to see what others thought.  Thanks ladies!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I got my marriage certificate MONTHS after the wedding. I got married in Australia and then had to complete all of these forms and pay to receive copies and have them mailed to me in the US. Anyway, I recently used a canceled ticket from before I was married. The airline would not change my name, as the original ticket was purchased in my maiden name months before I was married. In order to get through security, I showed them my old passport, which was still active, but had a hole punched in it because I had gotten it renewed in my married name (it expires in October, but got it renewed in March.) I also showed them my marriage certificate. Anyway, there was no issue with TSA because my old passport was still active and the marriage cert showed both names. They may require you to do some additional screening, but VERY worst case, there is a way to get through security without the ticket and current ID matching. I do not recommend it, though. NOT worth the hassle at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards