Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Postcard RSVPs?

Hi ladies,
I've already checked other posts about this on the paper and invites board, but I wanted to get the consensus on it from a more local scale. For the record, a lot of people on that board seem to think it's a good idea and not a tacky move in the most recent post on it...

After changing my mind a million times, I've finally found an invitation set on Etsy that I really like. Part of her store policy is she offers postcard rsvps. I personally like it not only for the little savings in costs it offers but also that it's so eco-friendly. I asked FI's opinion and he thought it seems tacky which is so ironic because I can think of a ton of tacky things he says and does lol!  He somewhat changed his mind when I went into greater detail about it...After scouring through dozens of invites listings on Etsy, it seems to be more common and not some random thing. I just don't want guests to think it's tacky when they receive the invitations.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Julie
My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011

Re: Postcard RSVPs?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good friends of ours did postcard RSVPs for their wedding last year and they were a  HUGE hit. Both of them are very into art-deco/1950s kind of stuff, so all of the postcards they got off of Etsy were 50s themed.

The only problem they ran into is they had a sit-down dinner, and they forgot to put a place so you can say who wanted what. For the most part, it worked out fine day-of, but some people got confused as to what they had said they wanted, but from what I understand everyone ended up happy.

:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to do postcard RSVPs.  Smile

Like you, I agree with the saving a little and saving on paper (envelops etc).

As long as it meets the post office's postcard size minimums, you should be fine!  I don't think guests will find it tacky, although, it is helpful to know your family/friends.  Mine wouldn't think twice about it!

Good luck! 
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Go for it!  I don't think they are tacky at all.  What's the difference?  An RSVP is an RSVP.  I'd say it might even make it easier for people to send back because they don't have to put the RSVP into the envelop (seriously).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for your positive words. I actually asked my MOH's opinon on it shortly after posting on here and she said her first thoughts on it were that it seemed tacky, but when I explained more the reasons as to it, she thought it sounded like a good idea. I think when people hear postcard, a lot envision the flimsy kind you get reminding you of a dentist appointment. I also feel that for those not planning a wedding, they have NO idea on how expensive everything is and it's nice to save when you can. I know my mom would certainly approve since they're the ones paying for the wedding!

@ Summer-I couldn't agree with you more about a postcard rsvp even possibly being easier for people. Cuts down some of the work for them ;)

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's tacky at all, and I've definitely seen it done in a very pretty way.  It IS somewhat less formal than the traditional response card and envelope, but you know your wedding's feel (and the opinions of your friends and family) best.  I would never think twice about receiving a postcard reply, and like Heather said, it's even easier!  I say go for it :)

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone - I don't think postcard RSVPs are tacky. They can definitely be done in a very elegant way. IMO, I think they are better all around because they save on unnecessary paper and postage. I am definitely using postcard RSVPs... I am a huge fan of them. I am just trying to find the right ones!! Which Etsy seller are you using??
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ LaFemme-we're not having a black tie reception but it will still be a formal affair(although some old school traditionalists would probably disagree with me...)

@ Giana-the etsy shop is ruffhouseart. I haven't committed yet (FI has had it up to here with me constantly changing my mind a million times on invites), I'm just having a really hard time deciding. The dress, shoes, and many other things were effortless for me to choose but this one is really hard!

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did them and I'm an etiquette stickler. It is slightly less formal, but I wasn't having a black tie wedding. It definitely matched the invite suite in formality.

Just make sure it meets the post office requirements, because they can be really rigid with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just received a wedding invitation with a post card RSVP. It was actually a really long invitation folded in 3 sections, and the very bottom tore off to send back. I thought it was cute! The design of the invitation was still formal. I certainly didn't think it was tacky.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea and almost did the same. I was just afraid that the post office may stick it in the middle of some junk mail delivered to each guest. Like in the Pennysaver or some Proctor & Gamble coupon booklet. Just something to consider. But I do love the idea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards