April 2014 Weddings
Options

Bride Advice from a 4.5.13 bride

dani1361dani1361 member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited May 2013 in April 2014 Weddings

FIRST of all CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Just wanted to pop over to your board, because im missing planning a little & i wish i had some of these little tips when i started planning!

So heres some tips from a 4.5.13 bride :)

1. Do you! Its your day, and i know your thinking, "yeah! Im going to do what i want", but you have no idea what some people turn into when theres wedding planning involved! keep you and your future hubby at the top at all times! :)

2. SPANKS!!!!! enough said

3. Look into people who do cakes as a hobby, and not a profession only thing. We ended up spending 1/4 of what professional bakers wanted to charge us on a person a facebook friend recommended! And no one could tell the difference!! Saving every penny where you can, turns into a lot of pennies! :)

4. Flowers, I chose real. I dont like silk, but thats honestly a personal preference. But real or silk, seriously consider the amount of flowers and what you really want/ need. We ended up ordering "loose" flowers instead of centerpiece flowers and did the centerpieces are self. 12 centerpieces, and we saved $14 a centerpiece, just by doing it ourselves!! Also, look into whats in season. I chose gerber daisies. They turned out gorgeous and since theyre spring flowers, they were cheaper than other types.

5. BARGAIN!!! Who knew you could bargain with vendors?!?! I'll try anything to save a dime. I ended up talking our photographer, dj, AND officiant down on their price. All together saving over $500. Hello, who doesnt like saving money!? I told them, thanks but so and so is giving me this quote.. works wonders! :)

6. I know a lot of you already have dates picked, but if your a Friday or Sunday, or any other day than Saturday-Bride, really pull the bargain card! A lot of vendors have multiples of something, so you can get a great deal. Just for planning on a non-popular day!

7. Think before you buy. Ask yourself, is it reall worth $70 for a headband? or cake topper? or whatever? lol Im a huge saver, and even i splurged on a few ( a lot) of things, i wish i didnt. *sigh*

8. ENJOY your wedding planning!! DONT be bridezilla!! BE ORGANIZED!

-okay that last one (be organized) was the key to the first 2. I had a binder, a huge binder with EVERYTHING in it! Copies of contracts with copies of checks i sent for deposits. Copies of menus, schedule, emails. EVERYTHING!!! I know it sounds crazy, but i have heard horror stories of things gone wrong due to contracts. I carried i with me everywhere. My MOH was in charge of it at the wedding and to make sure everything was upheld. It kept me sane for my 16 month engagement.

Okay, im done. But seriously, have fun. It goes by way to quick!! Youll be a MRS before you know it, and youll have no idea what to do with free time!! :) CONGRATS and best wishes!!! :)

Re: Bride Advice from a 4.5.13 bride

• Options

Thanks for the tips!

I'll have to do the binder thing for contracts, right now they are just in a pile in our office.  *oops*

• Options
    great tips! thank you!!
  • Options
    Great tips!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm a 4.5.14 bride, really glad I'm not the only one with a massive binder..haha
  • Options

Thansk for the advice!

I don't have a binder, but I do ahve a folder on my lapto that I have scanned all contracts adn keep spreadsheets for organizing adn the guest list.  My only problem is that I keep forwaarding files to my work email to work on things at lunch and they get out of whack!  I need to start dating the files ha!

• Options
    I bought a custom binder from zazzle.com (really not expensive!) so it has our names and date on it. I will have all my contacts for everything in it plus I'm going to make a day of list with pictures of what I agreed my cake should look like, what my centerpieces should look like and other day of details. I'm handing it to my father so he can check the last details and I can just enjoy my (our) day.
  • Options
    I got the binder! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards