Not Engaged Yet
Options

New App - Would You Use It?

Good morning!  It seems as though we have had a few discussions lately on distasteful corporate campaigns, purchasing power, and so on.  A hot button issue for me has always been quality of food I buy for my family (I try to buy organic and local as much as possible, and stay away from food that is heavily processed.) 

There is a new app that will be released to the App Stores for Android and iPhones soon that will allow you to scan food in your grocery cart and link it to the parent company so that you know who your money is going to support.  Also, users can create campaigns that support or violate their values and other users can join those campaigns.  The full article is here: click.

Would you use an app like this?
If you were to create a campaign, what issue(s) would you address?
Do you think something like this has the power to change corporate values/actions?

Re: New App - Would You Use It?

• Options
    To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't use an app like that.  I check out the nutrition facts on a product, but I don't necessarily care where it comes from as long as it's relatively healthy.  Perhaps that's not the best approach, and I'm not saying it's right, but that's my perspective.

As far as creating a campaign, I probably wouldn't create one about anything at all.

I think it's a long shot for something like this to change corporate values.  Some people will get on board, but I truly believe that most people will continue to buy either the brand that's on sale, or the brand they're used to.  I just don't see this taking off to the degree necessary to actually change anything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm worse than Belle - I wouldn't use it because I'm buying all store-brands right now.

If corporate values change, it will be because of the power of the dollar. I don't think this would do it - it's hard to get a group of people to change their buying habits, even if/when they know about the practices of a company.
  • Options
    Interesting concept. I'd be more interested in that for cosmetics and toiletries than food, though.
  • Options

I'll be honest I hate grocery shopping as it is, so anything like this I'm not going to use or download.

My dad's friend is pro-second ammendment, card carrying member of the NRA and will only use businesses that support the NRA. I mean, the guy checks the back of birthday cards to make sure it is a pro NRA card company. If it's not he gives you hell about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    As mentioned above, I don't like grocery shopping so i like it to be simple and quick. I also roll my eyes at most of this corporate stuff. I don't know that I can afford to be brand picky without being in the 1% honestly. That's probably flame worthy but oh well.

I just read an article about an std checker/notifier app/website and thought this would be about that haha. I would be more likely to use that although I mostly take forever to sleep with a guy so that I already know his complete medical history. But I'm also engaged so won't really be sleeping around lol
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    This is some heavy contemplating for a day off, but I'll give it a try :)

*Sigh* I wish I could say I would. I think the premise behind it is noble enough, at least insofar as making sure it's a quality product. But grocery shopping is enough of a PITA as it is. I cannot imagine scanning every item I buy and keeping straight which ones are "good or bad" for me to buy and therefore support. At the end of the day, I have to feed myself and my family, regardless of where the money ends up.

I just don't know that I would care that much about creating a campaign. I give directly to causes I support, and when I buy a milkshake at Chick-fil-A or a coffee at Starbucks, I really wish it wasn't about the values I hold. I can definitely get behind things like fighting hunger, curing certain diseases, etc., but when it gets more controversial I just want to stay out of it - which is getting rather hard to do.

Do you think something like this has the power to change corporate values/actions?

Values no, but maybe actions. I think if they lose enough money over expressing an unpopular opinion they will keep it to themselves. But I don't think it could ever cause a company to stop supporting one side of a cause and jump to the more popular side. Some things still cannot be bought.
  • Options
    RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    @Blue&White LOL to the STD checker.  How would that be accurately updated, I wonder...

Some interesting views here.  As for it being time consuming, I think it only would be the first few times you use it, because after that you would have a good idea of which brands were "safe" and would only need to check again if you were buying something you don't ordinarily purchase.  That is, if you shop like me and buy a lot of the same items over time.

As for being a picky shopper, I have been a low income, single mother for years and can afford to be picky about what I eat.  I shop sales at the Coop, buy some items in bulk, and save money on less essential things in life.  I don't go out drinking or eating with friends more than once a month or less, for instance.  It is just a matter of prioritizing for me, because it is something I care deeply about.

I would be interested to know if you could set up notifications in the app to let you know when a conglomerate purchases your favorite "safe" brand.  For me, it is not so much about whether the company donates money to democrats or republicans, it is more about GMO, pesticide use, and ethical, sustainable food practices.  That is what I would track, personally.

• Options
    I really love the idea of this app and I'd definitely use it. It would save me a ton of time researching where everything I'm buying is coming from and I can be a more informed/responsible consumer.

I don't think I would create a campaign. I just like the idea of it for my own personal responsibility.

If people are willing to use it, yes. But enough people would have to really want to make a change.

• Options
    I wouldn't use it, granted I don't have a smart phone or anything.  I mostly look at the ingredients and worry about that first.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards