October 2013 Weddings

Bar Options

edited May 2013 in October 2013 Weddings
If you are having alcohol at your reception (or even if you aren't), do you think it makes more sense to do an open bar, or a consumption bar? To clarify: FH & I are paying for it. The consumption bar is simply "pay per drink" rather than the open bar which is "pay $20pp" (or whatever the cost is). What are you doing? Does your venue/caterer give you that option?

Re: Bar Options

• FI's dad is going back and forth on what he wants.  FI's side is covering the bar so we are leaving it up to them on how they want to pay.
  • We are having an open bar - that includes top shelf for the entire reception - not just cocktail hour. There is also wine served tableside with the meal, and a champagne toast. In my opinion, it is not necessary since our reception will be over by 5 pm. However, it was included and the venue had so much else going for it, it wasn't something about which I gave a second thought. Looking at the above, that is actually A LOT of alcohol for a Saturday afternoon, but whatever.

We researched other venues and they were "pay by consumption" which also would have been fine. I don't know in the end which would have saved money, but again, it didn't really factor into our decision. 

And other reception options could have/would have done beer and wine only, or beer and wine with a few signature drinks, or full bar during cocktail hour and wine and beer with dinner. There were lots of options, and we could have made any of them work.

In the end, the venue we liked best was a non-negotiable open bar and that will work for us. (And honestly, I don't think FI would have gone for any of the other options, even though he is not a huge drinker. I just see him thinking open bar at a wedding is just "what you do."). I do not think that many of the guests will fully utilize it - but I imagine people will order screwdrivers, mimosas, gin and tonic, wine, beer, and champagne, so it's all good. However, I'm sure there are other guests that will REALLY use it.

Consumption is great if you have a good idea of whether or not each guest will drink $20 worth of alcohol (or whatever the price is). The hosts should always pay for all alcohol, no matter what is served (or not served). (Do both sides drink a lot? What about your friends? Both sides of our friends will probably drink a fair amount, but neither immediate family drinks a lot. Some extended family on my side are heavy drinkers.)

Our guest list was not finalized (heck, still isn't finalized) before choosing our venue. We will invite or not invite based upon what we can manage - there are no minimums, no limits (that we will reach at least) or other constraints for our guest list and menu/serving choices.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Our bar is an open bar with medium grade alcohols rather than well or top shelf liquors. It is included in the price per person in the package deal that we are doing that includes the dinner, centerpieces, cake, etc. but that is the same price for every person regardless of whether they are going to consume alcohol or not (and I think at least 1/3rd of our guests will probably have 0 or 1 drink).
    What about children or under 21s? Our under 21s that eat a full meal are still the same price. (So, 5 year olds to 20 year olds are the same price as all adults. And all adults are the same coast whether or not they drink. And obviously, those children - teens will not be drinking, but are still the same price)

Children under 5 are free.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Ours is open for the first two hours and the. Consumption. The alcohol offered wont change. We honestly figured that people will drink the most during the first two hours than the last so we are making the switch. Guests won't know but I think the bill will reflect the change.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Our venue offers cost per person only, not consumption. At $32 p/p (all night, top shelf include) with our guests, they are going to lose out ;) I think the decision should be based on what type of crowd you're having. Our friends and family are definitely social drinkers who can put away a decent amount so I think we'll get our money's worth. If you have a lot of non-drinkers you may want to consider consumption.

• Our venue offers cost per person only, not consumption. At $32 p/p (all night, top shelf include) with our guests, they are going to lose out ;) I think the decision should be based on what type of crowd you're having. Our friends and family are definitely social drinkers who can put away a decent amount so I think we'll get our money's worth. If you have a lot of non-drinkers you may want to consider consumption.

I think you win the prize for best-value-for-your-dollar. $32 with dinner and open bar all night? Wow. Nicely done!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Our venue doesn't offer consumption, but open bar for four hours was only $12 pp.  We do not have to include anyone underage.  I think if we went the wine and beer (including soda and juice) option, it would have been $10 pp. 
  • archerstararcherstar member
    First Comment
    edited May 2013

Our venue offers cost per person only, not consumption. At $32 p/p (all night, top shelf include) with our guests, they are going to lose out ;) I think the decision should be based on what type of crowd you're having. Our friends and family are definitely social drinkers who can put away a decent amount so I think we'll get our money's worth. If you have a lot of non-drinkers you may want to consider consumption.

I think you win the prize for best-value-for-your-dollar. $32 with dinner and open bar all night? Wow. Nicely done!
    Oh I wish!!! The $32 is on TOP of the food, just for the alcohol lol. The food will be around $100 p/p.
  • We are having open bar for the five hours of reception.  If the party continues after that - it will be consumption.  It made more sense because we gauged the amount our friends/family would be drinking :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are providing our own alcohol.  So, we need to decide how many beers and wines we want, and whether we want to mess with liquor, or do signature drinks.  

Oh I wish!!! The $32 is on TOP of the food, just for the alcohol lol. The food will be around $100 p/p.

Got it! That's more like the prices I'm used to for a 5 hour open bar. Makes sense now!!

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I guess our venue is the odd duck.  We pay a flat fee ($3,500) and we can eat and consume up to that dollar amount.  The most expensive plate we have going is $40 for prime rib, the other plate is $35 for chicken parmesan (these costs include appetizers, sides and a dessert and salad as well I believe for lunch).  So, once we've paid out the plates for adults and children, what ever is left, we can drink it up (another reason to keep our guest list small) or order other stuff off the menu, etc. 

Once we've reached the $3,500 we have the option of either paying for the additional our guests drink or have each guest open a tab.  But, I'm thinking at that point, we'll all have had plenty to eat and drink, though if people still want to, FI and I will cover the bill (my parents are hosting the reception dinner, so I'm not going to go over the initial amount).

I'm SO looking forward to this part of the day!  Our venue is so beautiful!  I can't wait to get pictures there!  :)  And EAT!!!  The food is supposed to be amazing!  We haven't had a chance to do our tasting yet...next few weeks though we're going!  :)  YAY!!
  • We are getting married at a winery and can only serve wine and then champagne for the toast.  We are purchasing a case of wine, we have 80 guests, and after that is gone if they would like more it will be cash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • @rustytammy isn't a case of wine only like.... 12 bottles?
  • Typically a case holds 12 bottles.  On the average pour you can get 4.5 glasses of wine out of each bottle, give or take depending on the glass size.  That is only enough for 54 guests to have 1 glass of wine.  That seems pretty rude to me, it's first come first serve kind of thing, which is beyond rude especially if guests have to take pictures, and can't get one of the first and only glasses of wine.
  • @libby18bell ha! I can drink an entire bottle on my own. In one night.
  • @lplions, I totally can too.  I was trying to think of the conservative drinker, not you or I.  

Again I ask, why do we have to live so far away from each other?
  • @libby18bell seriously. Although, I have a feeling the regs on this board, if we all lived near each other, would just cause all sorts of ruckus. haha!
  • Ours is just an open bar it's literally like 2.00 per person so it's less then one drink and we don't have to worry about it the night of
    image 165 Asked to join at our big day.
    image 7 Are coming; cameras in hand ready to party!
    image 5 Are missing out on the fun.
    image 153 Haven't found the mail box back to us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2013
    Ours is just an open bar it's literally like 2.00 per person so it's less then one drink and we don't have to worry about it the night of
    Seriously? only $2 PP? *jealous*

ETA: what are you hosting? beer, wine, champagne, liquor? pop/soda, water, juice, etc?
  • snippet17 said:

@lplions - you are not the only one.

@rustytammy - I would have more wine since that is not even one glass per person.  I would have at least 5 cases of wine if all 80 people say yes and are all over the age of 21.

@snippit17 ~ About 30, of our 80 guests, drink.  We are also providing champagne, not just for the toast, as there are about 5 or 6 of the guests that prefer to drink that.
    Typically a case holds 12 bottles.  On the average pour you can get 4.5 glasses of wine out of each bottle, give or take depending on the glass size.  That is only enough for 54 guests to have 1 glass of wine.  That seems pretty rude to me, it's first come first serve kind of thing, which is beyond rude especially if guests have to take pictures, and can't get one of the first and only glasses of wine.
    @libby18bell ~ First off, we are doing a first look and all pictures beforehand so that people don't have to wait to eat or get something to drink.  Second, please refer to my response above.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • lplions said:

Ours is just an open bar it's literally like 2.00 per person so it's less then one drink and we don't have to worry about it the night of

Seriously? only $2 PP? *jealous*

ETA: what are you hosting? beer, wine, champagne, liquor? pop/soda, water, juice, etc?

Haha ya total depending in the guest amount we are paying 17.50-19.95 per person for food (2 entrees 3 sides plus salad and bread) and open bar. Liquor beer non alcoholic champagne for toasts. and coffees juice. It's not top shelf but it works great around here!!! Our reception is in a ballroom I talked them from the original price of 37 pp since we are getting married on a Wednesday.
    image 165 Asked to join at our big day.
    image 7 Are coming; cameras in hand ready to party!
    image 5 Are missing out on the fun.
    image 153 Haven't found the mail box back to us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @rustytammy that still doesn't provide your guest drinks for most of the night.  Most people have at least 1 drink per hour, so depending on how long it last that is not sufficient to me.  If you just buy another case or two you should be good.  Not sure if you drink wine, but as someone who does, the champagne wouldn't work since I don't really like champagne if I have already been drinking wine.
  • Just for reference.... at the bridal shower my sister (MOH) and my mom's friend threw for me at the end of April, there were about 20 people. I think we purchased 4 24 packs of beer, (bottles, not cans) and I'm pretty sure I saw something like 15 bottles of wine. Most of the beer was gone, and probably 70% of the wine was gone by the end of the party.
  • @lplions, that's my kind of party.  We are throwing a party for my mom this weekend and her lady friends, still trying to get an idea on how much alcohol we need to buy, definitely will be a few cases.
  • lplions said:
    Just for reference.... at the bridal shower my sister (MOH) and my mom's friend threw for me at the end of April, there were about 20 people. I think we purchased 4 24 packs of beer, (bottles, not cans) and I'm pretty sure I saw something like 15 bottles of wine. Most of the beer was gone, and probably 70% of the wine was gone by the end of the party.

This makes me sad that my bridal shower is in a church fellowship hall where we cannot have alcohol.
    Mine will be dry as well. Not judging @lplions - cause having alcohol at a shower is fine too. But, man, that's a lot. It's really not needed for a shower.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• haha! Granted.... the shower did start at like, 4pm and lasted until like.... 11. People just wouldn't leave, which was fine by us. We had 40 lbs of bbq'd tri-tip and about 10 lbs of bbq'd pork. It was more like roasted, though. Not your "normal" bbq. And beans (!) and chips and veggie platters and what not. And s'mores! It was a very good party.
  • lplions said:
    Just for reference.... at the bridal shower my sister (MOH) and my mom's friend threw for me at the end of April, there were about 20 people. I think we purchased 4 24 packs of beer, (bottles, not cans) and I'm pretty sure I saw something like 15 bottles of wine. Most of the beer was gone, and probably 70% of the wine was gone by the end of the party.

This makes me sad that my bridal shower is in a church fellowship hall where we cannot have alcohol.
    Mine will be dry as well. Not judging @lplions - cause having alcohol at a shower is fine too. But, man, that's a lot. It's really not needed for a shower.
    I didn't ask for them to purchase that much, just for the record. That's what was there when I got to my mom's house the day before the party. So, that's what we had. We were planning on having more people show up (invited about 45), but only that many actually showed up. The booze and food was still consumed. Good times were had by all.
  • @lplions, I totally should have crashed your bridal shower.  

No offense to the girls without alcohol, since different strokes for different folks,  but showers can drag on to me, so having a nice glass wine or a fun girly drink can make the day a bit more enjoyable.  I went to a baby shower where I brought the only bottle of wine, since our group tends to bring bottles for the group to enjoy, yep all the girls drank the bottle and I got a little glass.  I guess I was the only one who thought ahead on that one.

My shower is at a golf club, so it's a full open bar, and a spiked punch.  There will also be a bonfire later in the night where the guys can come and hang out and enjoy the beautiful weather. 
  • We are having open bar for at least cocktail hour.  After that we are just doing wine with dinner and a half champagne pour toast.  I may leave the bar open for just the bridal party and parents though.  I haven't decided yet.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards