Honeymoon Discussions

Cook Islands

I'm looking for travel recommendations for the Cook Islands.  I had a trip fall through and I have to travel on Air New Zealand - so I'm limited in areas to travel to.  I've been to French Polynesia and Fiji - so that is why I'm looking at Cook Islands (along with the cheaper flights).  This is a fairly last minute booking - will be leaving June 16th for 2 weeks.  I love researching the vacations and travels that I take- but this time I'm limited on time and need to decide on places to stay.
So - any recommendations for which island(s) to stay, accommodations on the different islands that you would recommend, etc... would be greatly appreciated!!!  I'm not so worried about budget - since airfare is already taken care of.  I just don't want to break the bank!  I'm looking for a relaxing, beautiful place to enjoy.  It doesn't have to be the swanky 5 star resorts - although I do enjoy being pampered... 
I'd love to hear what Jells2dot has to say - since I believe she recently was in the Cook Islands.  But if anybody else can chime in with information that would be great!
THANKS!!

Re: Cook Islands

• edited May 2013
    I just got back from there a few weeks ago. We stayed on Aitutaki at Etu Moana in a beachfront vila. LOVED it, but it's self catering rather than a full service resort. Etu Moana books up FAST so hopefully there are rooms left if you are interested. If you want the full up resort experience, I'd recommend the Pacific Resort. The Aitutaki lagoon Resort has some amaing views, but the property itself is a little more 4.5 star than 5 star and also a bit more "remote island" feel (not as lush). Oh, and also a bit more friendly. I did not stay on Rarotonga, but I have heard great things about the Little Polynesian. Aitu is the only other island with guest houses, but nothing on the luxury end. Since you are bound to 12 nights with the ANZ schedule, I'd recommend 5 nights on Raro and 7 in Aitutaki. Also keep in mind the interisand flight costs as well. I believe the flight to Aitutaki was around $275pp. I think our hotel/interisland air portion for the 5 nights on Aitutaki was around $3400 or so, not including the ANZ flights or anything we spent while there.

Having also been to French Polynesia and Fiji as well, I can honestly say that the Cooks are definitely a different experience, so it's not just more of the same (not that Fiji is anything like FP!) I do have a review of my trip up on the Etu Moana page on Tripadvisor if you are interested (JellsieS). I can also go into some more detail on what we did while we were there.

If the Cooks don't work out, ANZ also has a direct flight to LHR from LAX...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards