Chit Chat

How Good is Your Cursive Writing?

The name changing posts made me think about the act of signing one's name.

I am appalled to say that I can no longer write in cursive.  I print everything, except my signature. . . which got very messy in college and now can give any physician a run for the money!  I am so out of practice with cursive, I would have to re-learn how to write in cursive in order to add FI's name to mine, lol.

How about you ladies, can you still write nicely in cursive?  How about at all?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Re: How Good is Your Cursive Writing?

• My name looks wicked awesome in cursive. 

Anything else...not so much.  I can still do it, and it looks pretty good, but it takes me SO long.  My mom always told me that once she hit high school she had to write EVERYTHING in cursive, and her cursive looks amazing.  By the time I got to jr high, I took typing classes, which apparently they now teach in elementary school.  What happened to us all?
  • My cursive writing is terrible. I am excited though that my new name will look much prettier in cursive. Most of the women I work with went to Catholic school so they have beautiful writing and I feel totally inept. 
  • I went to Catholic school for many years when I was younger and handwritting was a huge thing there.  I used to have wonderful cursive writing but over the years and using computers more and more my writing has started to get a little messy.  But if I actually sit down and pay attention to what I am doing it's pretty decent.

I also love my married name because it is so loopy and easy to write out!

• Several years ago I was appalled at how my cursive looked, so one day I decided to just start writing in cursive. After googling several letters because I forgot, it took about a month to start looking normal and now I write in cursive without thinking. 
  • I just wrote out something in cursive, and it's horrible!

My handwriting in general is horrible, my signature is worse than a surgeon's (she said so as we were signing off on a surgical consent form lol).

My friends who went to Catholic school have the neatest cursive handwriting.

I also think that because most of my work is done on computer and most of my communication is through either phone or e-mail that I haven't really used my handwriting. Heck, I even put my grocery list on my phone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I usually write in cursive. I have to try hard to write in print. I guess my usual handwriting is a combination of cursive and print, leaning toward the cursive side. It's decent enough for me to address our invitations myself.
  • Mine is decent but I do a cross of printing and cursive. If I take the time to sit down and not rush, it looks pretty good but if I rush, it can be pretty questionable what I wrote. I had a former coworker "yell" at me because my cursive T, J and F are all pretty similar, F does have a line in it. My signature is a jumbled mess of my first and last name and sharing letters from both. Once I take FH's last name my signature will look better because I can't jumble my first name with his last name.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • My signature looks horrible, but I think my cursive looks pretty good.  Something I picked up from my grandmother though is that I practice.  I know it sounds weird, but I enjoy practicing my handwriting.
  • Also, my signature has gotten worse since I sign more for credit card slips, etc. Its basic first letter into scribble. 
  • I generally write in cursive - I find print difficult and time consuming. Most of my upper case letters are in calligraphy cursive, not in regular cursive though just because I think it looks prettier. I don't handwrite much in English anymore though.
  • My cursive is ok, and my printing is ok. If I concentrate on it I can make both look pretty good. Day to day when I'm writing stuff, though, I usually end up doing a mixture of both because it's faster than printing and easier than all cursive.
  • In Response to Re: How Good is Your Cursive Writing?:
    [QUOTE]Also, my signature has gotten worse since I sign more for credit card slips, etc. Its basic first letter into scribble. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  Especially since after the 1st two letters of my last name the rest of it is loop-de-loop-de-loop. . . i, u, l, l, i in cursive is pretty much the same motion, lol!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• My cursive is pretty ok... I get told it looks very nice, but it all depends on what I'm trying to accomplish - notes in a meeting? Chicken scratch cursive. If I have more than 2 seconds? It gets nicer.

My name looks terrible in cursive, mostly because it starts with an "S" and I HATE cursive the "S" so I just do a regular "S" and loop it back. My last name begins with "McA" and it ends up just looking like "Mc★"
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I haven't really used cursive since the third grade. I've been using a keyboard since 4th or 5th grade.

My real cursive is awful. I can make it pretty if I try. But I get bored of that really quick. My signature is my first and middle initial and the first 4 letters of my last name. I can't imagine that changing. My new last name is almost the same as my current.

My real handwriting is never the same. It changes with the pen that I have or the the paper I'm on.

I watched a handwriting analysis show that asserted no matter what I do or how hard I try to change it, there are certain nuances that are always the same....and I learned that IS true for me, despite the fact that I thought it was impossible because my writing varies so much.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• In Response to Re: How Good is Your Cursive Writing?:
    [QUOTE]My name looks wicked awesome in cursive.  Anything else...not so much.  I can still do it, and it looks pretty good, but it takes me SO long.  My mom always told me that once she hit high school she had to write EVERYTHING in cursive, and her cursive looks amazing.  By the time I got to jr high, I took typing classes, which apparently they now teach in elementary school.  What happened to us all?
    Posted by wittykitty14[/QUOTE]

Technology!!!!
  • My hand writing isn't too bad, I feel like it's gotten worse thank to technology.  I have a handwriting combo between print and cursive.  I have to try now to make my handwriting look decent.

Anniversary

• I have terrible/aweful/horrible/abyssmal vision, so I've never put much effort into cursive. Printing is much more easy to write and read for me. On the bright side, I've been complimented on how clear and legible my print is. It's not going to win beauty awards, but dangit people can read it :p.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• My parents were really old-fashioned and pushed the "nice handwriting" thing. I had to do cursive worksheets after school to make my handwriting pretty. As a result, many people asked if I had my wedding invitations done by a caligrapher. Totally worth it *eye roll*.

That aside, I still do write in cursive all the time, particularly if I'm using a pen (in my head, pen=cursive, pencil=math=printing).

As far as my signature, I was sad when I changed my name after getting married because my maiden name had 2 z's in a row, which is very fun in cursive. My new last name doesn't have any letters that go below the line. Boo.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I still write out my checks in cursive, so my cursive is good for numbers only!  Otherwise it's pretty terrible.  One of my worst cursive capitals is F and I married a man whose last name started with F!  So I REALLY had to practice his name!  It looks pretty good though.

Also, I went to Catholic school and my cursive is still terrible.  I actually had a teacher mark a word wrong because she thought I spelled it with an "n" instead of an "m".  I talked to her about it and she corrected my grade only after I wrote the word with the 'm' written "correctly" 20 times.  So my Catholic school must not have been the best for cursive writing!

It also sadden me that they don't even teach cursive anymore.  Kids have such terrible handwriting nowadays.  I think that if they aren't going to teach cursive, they should teach proper printing techniques.
  • My handwriting is actually really good. It's a combination of having had a very persistent teacher in second grade and using it all the time (I'm a reporter, so I take notes all the time). It's funny, I never thought it was anything special until a friend of mine asked to turn it into a font for use at her work. She was a graphic designer who designed travel brochures and apparently really, really liked my handwriting.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • My cursive and printing is very nice; but when I am in a rush it can be sloppy.  People always comment on my handwritting, and my old job used to pay me to hand address all their gala invitations.  I did my save the dates, but did not do wedding invitations in case I messed up.  I need to get used to writing my new name though!

Anniversary
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

When I actually concentrate enough to write cursive, it's pretty awful.  I don't mind my printing. . . . it's not pretty by any means, but it is completely legible.  My signature has always looked like a few slants and not much else, I find that now with a shorter last name that starts with a B it looks like I am signing "Firstname Butt"  It's pretty bad.

• No, and I wish my students wouldn't try.  Their printing is so much easier to decipher than their cursive.

• When I was finishing up fifth grade, I was awarded a thesaurus for best penmanship.  It was standard in my elementary school to teach cursive in fifth grade.  I still have the thesaurus, but I'm not sure if my cursive is quite so stellar after 30 or so years using mainly keyboards to write.  However, I am fairly sure when my fiance and I do our addressing, it will come out nicely.  Luckily for us, he took a calligraphy course (for fun) at the Smithsonian.  Unluckily for him, I now have really high expectations LOL.

• Mine is pretty good, but probably cos I teach.  It's quicker for me to write comment when I write versus print, but it is a it of  amix between printing and writing, depending on what makes the letter quicker to get on the paper.  However, if you ask grade 1 kids, they can't read it cos my "t's" have tails on them and I don't dot my "i"'s, which really confuses them.  My last name is a mess, cos I get lazy by the time i get to writing it.  

• Is this still taught in school? I remember getting a GRADE on this in third grade.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• I never write in cursive...  I do print to :)
  • I always write in cursive and I'm constantly complimented on my penmanship.

• laradolllaradoll member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    joined up writing (cursive) was drummed into me at school
    The teacher that began teaching us was really old school.

So my handwriting looks really old fashioned - almost victorian

People tell me it looks really pretty but struggle to read it if they don't know it so sometimes I will print for some things
  • I write in a combination of cursive and print, typically relying mostly on cursive. It's faster and easier that way, but if I go too fast, it becomes almost illegible. I do not understand how people can write exclusively in print- it's so slow! taking all those breaks between letters?! On the other hand, if I really concentrate on my handwriting and write exclusively in cursive, it's just as slow, so that's probably why I do a combination, and also why my handwriting is messy. 

If I do take the time to slow down and think about it, my cursive writing can be very neat. If I slow down and think about it, my print writing looks horrendous, and I often switch into all capital letters to try and make it look better. 

My married name took me a really long time to get used to. In fact, I still don't like my signature. It has a capital R, which should be relatively pretty, but I can't get used to signing it fast, so it always looks funny, and kinda shaky. There's also a k, and it ends up looking kinda like the R. It's annoying. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards