Wedding Party
Options

should the groomsmen match?

I may be overthinking this but I just need some input.

As far as my bridesmaids go I told them to just get a black dress. I don't care about length, fabric ect. As long as its black I'm happy.

So fiance and I were talking and he wants the men in gray suits. After talking to the guys some want to buy their suits and others want to rent. When I went in to try my dress on a month or so ago I went over to the tux shop to take a look at what they had for suits.  The have several different lines but you can buy from one line or rent from another. We can't just pick one suit and then they have the option to rent or buy.

So if we just get a color swatch of the shade of gray that my fiance wants and give it to each of the groomsman and tell them to get a suit in that color, or close to it does that work? Any wedding I've been to or in the groomsman have always matched so I'm having a hard tim envisioning a bunch of different suits.

My other thought was that I feel like the guys who are purchasing over renting should be able to purchase something they like and will wear again. I know this really isn't my decision anyway because my fiance decides what the groomsmen wear but he was wondering as well.

Thanks for the input! Smile

Re: should the groomsmen match?

• Options
    In Response to should the groomsmen match?:
    [QUOTE]I may be overthinking this but I just need some input. As far as my bridesmaids go I told them to just get a black dress. I don't care about length, fabric ect. As long as its black I'm happy. So fiance and I were talking and he wants the men in gray suits. After talking to the guys some want to buy their suits and others want to rent. When I went in to try my dress on a month or so ago I went over to the tux shop to take a look at what they had for suits.  The have several different lines but you can buy from one line or rent from another. We can't just pick one suit and then they have the option to rent or buy. So if we just get a color swatch of the shade of gray that my fiance wants and give it to each of the groomsman and tell them to get a suit in that color, or close to it does that work? Any wedding I've been to or in the groomsman have always matched so I'm having a hard tim envisioning a bunch of different suits. My other thought was that I feel like the guys who are purchasing over renting should be able to purchase something they like and will wear again. I know this really isn't my decision anyway because my fiance decides what the groomsmen wear but he was wondering as well. Thanks for the input!
    Posted by SJM7538[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I would just switch their suits to black.  that way they can do whatever they want and you don't have to worry about shades of grey matching.    however, if your FI is stuck on grey, he is just going to have to accept that there will likely be different shades.
  • Options
    SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to Re: should the groomsmen match?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to should the groomsmen match? : Honestly, I would just switch their suits to black.  that way they can do whatever they want and you don't have to worry about shades of grey matching.    however, if your FI is stuck on grey, he is just going to have to accept that there will likely be different shades.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I will tell him that!

I just googled some pics of gray suits and black BM dresses and I honestly think with the black BM dresses and the color being brought it with the flowers and ties that it will just all come together nicely even if the shades are off.
  • Options

We did slightly varied shades for our wedding party- we had the bridesmaids just buy a navy dress, and the groomsmaids a grey dress.  (Brides- and groomsmen were in black, so they all matched.)  But I thought having the color variation on the dresses, which were all slightly different, looked really cool.  So I'm totally in favor of just having them wear whatever grey suit they want- I think it would look great.  Perfect matching is totally unnecessary IMO.

• Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: should the groomsmen match? : I will tell him that! I just googled some pics of gray suits and black BM dresses and I honestly think with the black BM dresses and the color being brought it with the flowers and ties that it will just all come together nicely even if the shades are off.
    Posted by SJM7538[/QUOTE]

I don't think the varying shades would look bad at all. You just have to be prepared for it so you don't have a groomzilla meltdown later. :)
  • Options
    I think as long as you say "dark gray" or "light gray" you'll be fine. The light gray suits tend to be only found (in my experience) with summer poplin suits. The colors will vary a little, but I think it'll be fine.
  • Options
    Sometimes you will find that renting the suit is pretty close to buying another one.  Get the guys budgets and if you find a suit that falls in the budget to rent a suit let them know you found a suit they could buy instead of renting and that way they can "match".  Why give it back if you get a better deal buying rather than renting?

Otherwise, just like it looks fine when girls have different styles of dresses, I think it will look OK if the guys suits are a little different.  I would get a color swatch for them so they stick as close as possible to it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    SJM7538SJM7538 member
    [QUOTE]Sometimes you will find that renting the suit is pretty close to buying another one.  Get the guys budgets and if you find a suit that falls in the budget to rent a suit let them know you found a suit they could buy instead of renting and that way they can "match".  Why give it back if you get a better deal buying rather than renting? Otherwise, just like it looks fine when girls have different styles of dresses, I think it will look OK if the guys suits are a little different.  I would get a color swatch for them so they stick as close as possible to it.  
    Posted by erinlin25[/QUOTE]

I talked it over with my fiance and we decided against asking budgets and finding one particular suit because we want to give the guys who are buying over renting the option of picking out their own suit. After all, it is their money so why shouldn't they be able to pick their own style.

We are going to go with you second suggestion and try to get a color swatch and just hand it over to the guys and request they get a suit as close to the color as possible. If its not exact no biggie!
  • Options
    SJM7538SJM7538 member
    [QUOTE]Nobody "has" to match.  There are no wedding police. I like the gray suits.  It will keep your wedding party from looking like a funeral party.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Retread thank you for posting this! I didn't even think of that. My fiance made a comment that the girls will look like their in a funeral color is being brought in with the flowers. But then after your comment I started thinking even with dark gray it might look like that so we decided on light gray!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards