Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

My Engagement Story

My FI and I have been dating for just over two years.  I've known since about 6 months in that he's the man I want to marry.  He's been a bit of a fence sitter on the idea of marriage, but (obviously) has come around.

We're heading into a rough summer, as both he and I work out of town remote jobs, and our shift rotations are exactly opposite.  We likely won't be seeing each other at all over the next 4 months.  I knew he'd propose this year, but had no idea when.  I also knew that he wanted to catch me off guard with a proposal so I shouldn't expect it at any time that would be 'fitting'.  May 4th was our last day together before he started his job, so I took him out for dinner (I have a great job, he's a student).

We enjoyed a fantastic meal, and during the meal discussed some relationship issues.  I used the conversation as an opportunity to bring up some past grievances about our relationship.  Basically we'd talked marriage a year ago, he was totally into the idea, but didn't have a ring yet.  Told me we'd get that sorted when he got back from serving overseas, and then got cold feet as soon as he got back to Kabul.  I was devastated and felt like a fool at that point in time because I had told people we were getting married.  I could sense that he was a bit on edge, but thought it was just the relationship discussion.

We finished our meal and headed back to the car.  My feet hurt, cause my heels weren't broken in yet, and I was eager to sit down and take them off.  He stepped in front of me and asked if we could put the who relationship issue behind us.  My immediate thought was along the lines of "are we really going to have this arguement the day before we don't see each other for the summer?".

Then he pulled a ring out of his pocket.

My first response to this was "ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!"

To which my very dry and sarcastic FI said "well, I am holding a ring"

I got really excited then, we laughed, we cried (and I put the ring on the wrong hand!).

We're planning to get married May 10, 2014, he'll be finished his schooling, and be ready to jump into a career right after the wedding :)

Re: My Engagement Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards