Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Replenish the registry? And buying something off of it before the wedding?

2 question.  My bridal shower was yesterday.  It was wonderful and people were so generous with gift giving.  My first question is whether or not I need to replenish the registry.  We have 55 items remaining on our BBB registry, and 56 items remaining at macy's.  We invited close to 200 people to the wedding.  I know not to expect gifts at the wedding, but do you think between the 2 places we have enough items left?

My second question.  There is an item FI and I were really hoping to get at the shower that was not purchased (which is fine, I don't mean that sound ungrateful or anything).  Would it be in poor form if we purchased those items ourselves before the wedding?  The items are bath and hand towels.......our walmart ones are on their last legs so we really need new ones.  I'd only want to buy them know because they are are sale, and I have a 25% off coupon, so we'd get them for a good price.  Plus if I buy them, we can use them now instead of waiting.

Re: Replenish the registry? And buying something off of it before the wedding?

• Options
    hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I've considered buying an item "off my registry" too because I didn't want to wait. Haha, I don't think it's tacky or anything (who is going to know?) but patience is a virtue! How far away is your wedding? I would say if it's only 2-3 months away and you've made it this long with your towels, you could probably stick it out. But it's up to you. Like I said, who's gonna know?

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    1) No I would not add to the registry.

2)  I really didn't know towels could cause kind-of such dilemmas.  They are towels.  If you need them, buy them.  If you get extra sets, does it's really matter?  Can you really have too many towels?    DH and I must have 12 or so.  Some are nice, some are old, some match, others don't.  NBD.  I can tell you having extra towels comes in handy once in a while.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone!  I'll leave the registry as is.  I thought we still have enough, I just wanted to double check. 
  • Options
    200 people is more like 100 couples, so 100+ registry items sounds fine.

If you're buying towels, perhaps buy some but don't remove them from the registry? Like lynda said, you can never have too many towels. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on price points, honestly. If 40 of those items are under $15, you might need more, but I think you can just keep an eye on it. A lot of people buy last minute, so if it drops, add more stuff. 

Or don't and you'll probably get cash or gift cards. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    You can't buy yourself things from your registry. That's the law.  It's all in your guests' hands now whether you shall ever bathe again. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think you could probably stand to bathe with your old towels until June 29...you should be ok.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    In Response to Re: Replenish the registry? And buying something off of it before the wedding?:
    [QUOTE]I think you could probably stand to bathe with your old towels until June 29...you should be ok.
    Posted by annmarie714[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, but they are on sale and she has a coupon. There's no reason not to take advantage of a good deal and buy them now. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    If you had recieved them as a shower gift what would you then have done?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you have more than enough on your registry. People are more likely to bring cash to the actual wedding. Plus, if you register for a "B-list" of stuff, people might buy things you only kind of want instead of the original things you really wanted. There's no way for them to distinguish. I'd just keep an eye on it, and if it gets low, then consider replenishing it. 

I don't see any issue with buying the towels and taking them off your registry. There is a sale and with the shower over, it is unlikely that someone will buy them for you.
  • Options
    SB1512SB1512 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    In Response to Re: Replenish the registry? And buying something off of it before the wedding?:
    [QUOTE]If you had recieved them as a shower gift what would you then have done?
    Posted by Sjmiller418[/QUOTE]

I would have stuck it out until June 29th.  I mean, I guess I could still wait until after the wedding, they seem to have gone on sale every other week since I registered for them, and I could wait until there is a friends and family sale for an additional discount.  I guess just between there being a sale and me having a good coupon the temptation to just buy them myself is pretty strong.
  • Options
    Oh my gosh its towels.  Go buy a few towels and be done with it.  If you get more trust my you will use those as well.
  • Options
    Oh ok, you had since didn't get them as a gift at the shower you thought of buying them. But theres your answer your old towels would have worked until the wedding before they still will work until the wedding now that the showers over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]You can't buy yourself things from your registry. That's the law.  It's all in your guests' hands now whether you shall ever bathe again. 
    Posted by AddieL73[/QUOTE]

This totally made me laugh. Love.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Are the towels from BBB? Is your coupon from there too? Just and FYI BBB coupons never expire! Even though they say they do. You could use it in 3 yrs and they would still accept it! Plus most registries give you 20 percent off as an incentive to complete your registry after. I would wait.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards