Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

This seriously makes me angry. NWR

http://www.ksdk.com/news/world/article/380371/28/Starbucks-diaper-change-ends-with-call-to-police?sf12781216=1

As someone who works in the food industry, I can tell you that this a health code violation.  It's disgusting.  Had this happened in my restaurant, I wouldn't have handed them a towel, I would have said go elsewhere to do that or don't stay.  "As a mother, you have to do what you have to do." WALK TO YOUR CAR. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR

• Options
    BF moms argue that they should not have to feed thier kids in a public bathroom   Yet other parents think its okay to bring the bathroom to a public dining room.

::shakes head::

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Well.. they SHOULD have had a changing table in the bathrooms but .. you can't change poop/pee where people eat etc.. that IS a health violation. 
  • Options
    In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR:
    [QUOTE]Well.. they SHOULD have had a changing table in the bathrooms but .. you can't change poop/pee where people eat etc.. that IS a health violation. 
    Posted by mstallae[/QUOTE]

In a family friendly restaurant, maybe. It's not a requirement of the restaurant to have a changing table.  Starbucks is not a family friendly restaurant.  It's meant to be quiet and relaxing, and let's be honest, not all kids are. I wouldn't have been shocked not to see a changing table in their restroom.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It is disgusting. I had to change my kid at McDonald's, so I laid my coat down in the middle of the tiny ladies room floor, put her on top of it, and changed her there. There are ways without being a butthead.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]BF moms argue that they should not have to feed thier kids in a public bathroom   Yet other parents think its okay to bring the bathroom to a public dining room. ::shakes head::
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

I think it's fine to bf kids in a restaurant if they are covered.  It's called common courtesy.  I don't have kids, so breast feeding is something still a little strange to me since I am not used to seeing/doing it on a daily basis. I think moms that throw a fit because they have to be covered up are nuts. Get over yourself.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Well.. they SHOULD have had a changing table in the bathrooms but .. you can't change poop/pee where people eat etc.. that IS a health violation. 
    Posted by mstallae[/QUOTE]

there is no law that says you have to have a changing table  its nice if you can, but not required.  they might not have the space   not sure what the case is here, but ive been in some pretty small coffee shop bathrooms  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    It may not be "family friendly"  but I know several people with young kids who come there during the day and bring the kids along .. frankly unless you're somewhere that is "adults only" like a bar (and even some of THOSE that serve full dinners etc have changing tables)I think  there should be one available.

And that there isn't one available in a McDonalds is INSANE those ALWAYS have kids in them haha!

Still never an excuse to change the baby out on a table like that... if anything I'd have done a coat/floor combo like you had said and then maybe make a suggestion to the manager that they get change tables installed / call the company. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : I think it's fine to bf kids in a restaurant if they are covered.  It's called common courtesy.  I don't have kids, so breast feeding is something still a little strange to me since I am not used to seeing/doing it on a daily basis. I think moms that throw a fit because they have to be covered up are nuts. Get over yourself.
    Posted by soontobehanby[/QUOTE]

i'm pro-public non covered BFing   i just find it funny some parants think bfing in a bathroom is gross yet at the same time do not think changing their kid in a public dining is just as gross.  

• Options
    In Response to Re:This seriously makes me angry. NWR:
    [QUOTE]The diaper change could have been more discreet, to be sure. However, the outrage is way out of proportion to the offense.
    Posted by EllaYoung[/QUOTE]

No it's not. I don't like eating while I can smell a dirty diaper, thought I don't know about your preference.  Not to mention that germs from fecal matter can travel through the air.  What they did was not just gross and rude to the restaurant, but rude to others eating or drinking at the coffee shop.

Unless you are saying the parents didn't need to be so rude, then yes, I agree.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : i'm pro-public non covered BFing   i just find it funny some parants think bfing in a bathroom is gross yet at the same time do not think changing their kid in a public dining is just as gross.  
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Can I ask why it needs to be uncovered?  Maybe I don't know something, as I have never breast feed, but I always feel uncomfortable and weird when I see someone breast feeding.  Especially in a restaurant.  I want to enjoy my food, friends and family and I get distracted by a boob.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    OjitosVerdesOjitosVerdes member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : Can I ask why it needs to be uncovered?  Maybe I don't know something, as I have never breast feed, but I always feel uncomfortable and weird when I see someone breast feeding.  Especially in a restaurant.  I want to enjoy my food, friends and family and I get distracted by a boob.
    Posted by soontobehanby[/QUOTE]

Babies can get really hot under blankets, and it's not conducive to breastfeeding.  I think the bigger problem is that breasts - mammary glands evolved for feeding babies - are so sexualized in our culture that seeing one is "distracting'", even for other women. 
  • Options
    I used to work at a Kohls, which HAVE changing stations, and I remember two separate occasions where moms decided to change their babies/toddlers in the handicap dressing room neither mom was handicap. The first time the mom actually put the poopy diaper in our dressing room trash can which I immediately changed. The second time the mom left a wipe on the bench in the room! I don't get it. There are other, more sanitary ways to go about it. I like the coat on the floor idea. The first thing I thought of while reading the article was use the sink counter but there may not have been one.
  • Options
    Okay, I can understand that.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    As far as the original post is concerned, I agree that it was really inconsiderate of the mother. Someone commented on the original story that just because a bathroom is out of order in a public place wouldn't give any adult the right to defacate/urinate in the waiting area, and it shouldn't be any different for a baby. I kind of agree with that. I'm not a mom, and I'm sure it can be really stressful to deal with potty issues out of the house - but she could have handled it in a way (going to her car, changing the baby in the bathroom using a changing pad) that didnt' potentially spread E.coli all over everyone's lattes. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : Babies can get really hot under blankets, and it's not conducive to breastfeeding.  I think the bigger problem is that breasts - mammary glands evolved for feeding babies - are so sexualized in our culture that seeing one is "distracting'", even for other women. 
    Posted by OjitosVerdes[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  A lot of babies also will not feed with a cover.  They'll toss it off, and it can lead to more boob exposure than if mom just feeds without one.  The women I've known who bf in public know how to do it pretty discretely (without a cover).  It's not like women are exposing their entire breast.  And yeah, that's what the boob is for, not for the sexual pleasure of men (or women or whatever).

But on the topic of the OP, I don't see an excuse for that.  A poopy diaper is not such an extreme immediate emergency that you must change it right in the dining (drinking?) area.  Lay down something in the bathroom, find a nearby place with a changing table, go out to the car, something.

SaveSave
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : That is THE FIRST legitimate reason I've seen given for uncovered BF. I always hear mom's say that "it's natural" and I call BS on that reason....at least you offer something more substantial than that. Thank you. Edited spelling
    Posted by leighbie87[/QUOTE]

Same here, which is why I tossed out a "get over yourself."  To mother's that want to be uncovered for this reason, I take it back and apologize.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Just curious..why do you think a woman SHOULD cover up while BFing? Also changing your kid in the middle of where people eat and drink...ew.
  • Options
    [QUOTE]Just curious..why do you think a woman SHOULD cover up while BFing? Also changing your kid in the middle of where people eat and drink...ew.
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

Mostly just as a courtesy to other guests of a restaurant.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Re:This seriously makes me angry. NWR:[QUOTE]Mostly just as a courtesy to other guests of a restaurant. nbsp; Posted by soontobehanby[/QUOTE] I guess I just don't see how exposing 3 inches of boob to feed your child affects other people eating at a restaurant. I see women BFing in public all the time and they are never calling attention to themselves or over exposing themselves. But I also live in a city where NYU students sunbathe topless in the park, and it's legal to do so, so a bit of tata and an infant don't bother me.
  • Options
    I live in a smaller town.  You dont see it often so it always just surprises me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This seriously makes me angry. NWR : Babies can get really hot under blankets, and it's not conducive to breastfeeding.  I think the bigger problem is that breasts - mammary glands evolved for feeding babies - are so sexualized in our culture that seeing one is "distracting'", even for other women. 
    Posted by OjitosVerdes[/QUOTE]

This.  My little guy gets quite warm, even under a lightweight cover.  Plus he doesn't like the cover (it lays on his head and he starts squirming trying to get out from under it which hurts ME cause he's wiggling while still attached - ouch).  Then cause he's uncomfortable on a few levels he doesn't really eat well so I have to feed him again sooner than I otherwise might which causes problems with the schedule I try to loosly stick to.  Colorado is pretty liberal in their BF laws, in that it's legal anywhere I have a right to be.  If I expect to need to nurse, I usually wear a tank top that I can pull down and a shirt I can pull up, so I really don't expose that much boob, and only for a hot second until he's latched.  If I expect to be in a crowded situation (ie: when I was on an airplane) I brought my cover, and used it but I do this for my own modesty, more than making anyone else "comfortable".  

I think more (pretty much all) places should have changing tables in the restrooms.  They aren't that expensive, they don't take up THAT much space (they have them in airplane bathrooms - enough said) and they go a LONG way towards making things convenient and easy for moms to patronize their businesses.  At this point, I would go to a store/restaurant that I knew had changing tables available over one I knew didn't have them.  Most Starbucks I've been in here, do.  But I think Starbucks leaves it up to the individual locations how to outfit their restrooms.

• Options
    ridedatbikeridedatbike member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    pardon me i went ape shiiiit for a second. what about when its just pee? i totally just change my lo on my lap if its just pee. poop that's a different story because i mean it stinks! regarding bfing there's no reason a woman should be required to cover up. bfing issue eating. no one else I'd requires to leave a room or.put a towel over their head to eat so why should a baby. what it boils down to is what's best for babies and that they shouldn't be punished for society overly sexualizibg breasts. i mean they were put there for the sole purpose of feeding babies and yes most of them hate the cover. most of them don't eat properly and hurt mom without the cover. People seem to forget that they were once a newborn baby who relied on her mother to feed her, every two hours mind you,its not exactly a luxury or unnecessary so it baffles me that everyone gets so upset about it. most of the time you don't even are any boob! My lo also would toss the cover off on multiple occasions which made it virtually useless.
  • Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    [QUOTE]Bullcrap it was changing table or right out in the open; that parent did that out of spite. Sure, it sucks when a place hasn't installed changing tables (they've been available how long now?) but seriously, I don't want your kids sht particles floating around me and my food because you have a damn point to prove.
    Posted by Harry87[/QUOTE]

They defintely did that out of spite, which they proved when the father purposely spilled his coffee.  I understand the problems behind having a dirty diaper and having nowhere to change it, but this "solution" that the mother chose was not correct and was rude, and they emphasized that by acting childish afterwards by making an extra mess. 

What I don't understand about BF in public is the fact that some areas, it is legal for women to go topless, yet BF uncovered is frowned upon.  Makes no sense.  It's already hard enough taking care of an infant, why do we have to force mothers to feel like they are "indecent" when they BF by insisting that they cover themselves, especially when it makes it harder for them?

• Options
    allychaseallychase member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013
    I fear for what will happen if this child doesn't make a sports team at school one day.
    158 Invited image | 68 will be there image |6 can't make it image | 84 still need to reply! image
    RSVP Deadline: 4/6/13
    4/26/13 March Siggy Challenge: Bridesmaid Dresses

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]pardon me i went ape shiiiit for a second. what about when its just pee? i totally just change my lo on my lap if its just pee. poop that's a different story because i mean it stinks! regarding bfing there's no reason a woman should be required to cover up. bfing issue eating. no one else I'd requires to leave a room or.put a towel over their head to eat so why should a baby. what it boils down to is what's best for babies and that they shouldn't be punished for society overly sexualizibg breasts. i mean they were put there for the sole purpose of feeding babies and yes most of them hate the cover. most of them don't eat properly and hurt mom without the cover. People seem to forget that they were once a newborn baby who relied on her mother to feed her, every two hours mind you,its not exactly a luxury or unnecessary so it baffles me that everyone gets so upset about it. most of the time you don't even are any boob! My lo also would toss the cover off on multiple occasions which made it virtually useless.
    Posted by ridedatbike[/QUOTE]

I think changing a diaper regardless of how it's soil in a dining room is wrong and gross.  Just because it's pee doesn't make it any less of a bodily fluid.

When I go into a women's bathroom and see pee on a seat I do not say "it's just pee and doesn't stink so it's not gross".   It is gross.  A infant's pee is not special pee.  It's still pee.

• Options
    This is the most NWR thread I've seen on here. I love it. I have nothing to add to the discussion other than public diaper-changing (especially in a place where people are consuming food and drink) is disgusting. I think public breastfeeding is beautiful. Not in a creepy I'm-staring-at-you sort of way, but I can't help but smile privately when I see a woman breastfeeding her baby in public. It's beautiful and it highlights the wonder of birth and the mother-child relationship. Plus, I would be terrified of suffocating my baby under a cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards