Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Help with addressing envelopes, please!

Hi all,
   Please help me know what other options are out there to address wedding invitation envelopes. Calligraphy is so expensive and our company did not offer printed envelopes. We don't want to use our own handwriting. What else is there??? Please share ideas!
Thank you, brides!!

Re: Help with addressing envelopes, please!

• Options

You can run the envelopes through your printer using a pretty font.  You will be told that handwriting the envelopes is the only way to do it.  It is the preferred way, but printing directly on the envelopes has become increasingly accepted.  There are also people who do this for a living.  You can google digital calligraphy + your city/state.

Labels are not considered proper for social stationery/wedding invitations.

• Options
    If your parents' names are on the top line of your invitation as the hosts of your wedding who are requesting the honour of the guests' presence, then the decisions regarding envelope addressing should be made by your mom.  I nearly did the envelopes myself, but decided at the last minute to talk to my mom about it - and she set me straight that this is HER business and I should stop trying to control everything and everyone.  So go ask your mom what SHE wants to do before you get in trouble...
  • Options
    If you don't want to do them by hand yourselves, I agree to just run them through your printer. And ignore Kristin. She travels here by time machine. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    If you don't want to do them by hand yourselves, I agree to just run them through your printer. And ignore Kristin. She travels here by time machine. 
    :D
  • Options

We struggled with what to do for a while.  Ultimately, we chose to address them ourselves (well, just me), and it's not nearly as bad as I anticipated.  I bought an inexpensive calligraphy pen and just wrote in my normal handwriting.  The envelopes look awesome.  That pen made my handwriting look a lot better!  It took me only a few hours to address about 90 outer and 90 inner envelopes.

The best tip I got on here was to go over the lines of an index card with a permanent marker, and put that inside your envelopes.  This way, when you write, the lines are straight and it's much easier to center them!  That was my biggest concern about this whole process, and they look fantastic!  Hope that helps!

• Options
     I hate my handwriting so running my envelopes through the printer was great! Based on my experience, I would recommend ordering a few extra envelopes.  I had some envelopes that got stuck so the address printed way off. They look pretty though!
  • Options

Even if you don't use cursive and hand print things neatly, it looks so much better and more personal than computer printed addresses. Just be sure not to rush -- the errors will eat up any time you would have saved! Is it weird that I am looking forward to addressing my invitations?
    NOPE. I wrote the names in for half of our RSVP cards last night (we're doing 1 per person) and I was excited. The handwriting definitely varied throughout, but it's not like all the invitees are going to get together and compare samples.

• Options
    Also, I ordered my envelopes separately from my invites. I had them written out before I got the actual invitations.

FULL DISCLOSURE: My step-mom wrote the envelopes for me. She volunteered, and has beautiful handwriting, so winwin. However, I still would have done this if I was writing or printing them myself, in order to make sure I had them done the way I wanted in plenty of time of sending them out.

Starting on them early, either way, is definitely the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards