Wedding Invitations & Paper

Hosting and wording -- too many parents!

I (the bride) have divorced parents, both of whom have remarried. My father is paying half the wedding costs, and my fiance's parents are paying the other half. How do I word the invitation? Do I include my stepmother but not my mother? I think she'd be a bit unhappy with that. I don't want to make it out like my parents are hosting, I want to include his parents since they've been a huge help, but no matter what I consider it's getting confusing whose parents are whose. 

Also, my fiance is a "the third". Do I include the "III" in his name? Do I include "II" or "Jr" for his father's name?

Re: Hosting and wording -- too many parents!

• Would you consider saying "together with their/our families..."?  That's what we did, and it made it a heck of a lot less complicated! 

• But doesn't "together with their families" imply that he and I are paying? I don't want to give that impression by mistake either. 

Talking to the parents is probably a good idea.
  • We did "together with their families" for the same reason (though, we are paying the vast majority). If you're concerned about that, I like Alison's idea of "The families of ..."
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Actually, who's hosting doesn't equal "who's paying."  They're really two different things.

The financial arrangements aren't the business of the guests, so "who's paying" isn't relevant to how the wedding invitations are worded.

For purposes of a wedding, "hosting" means being the "point persons" of the wedding.  Those persons issue the invitations, receive the replies, make the arrangements with the vendors to provide for the guests' needs, greet the guests, and thank them for coming.  They may or may not be the people who provide the funding.  But they are the persons listed as the "hosts" on the invitation.

In this instance, if all the parents are going to be acting as point persons regardless of who's paying, I'd use "together with their parents" and just list you and your FI by name.
  • I'm always a fan of "together with their families (or parents)." 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards