Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

"No Boxed Gifts"

Just got the invite to male BF's wedding. I TOLD him to tell FI not to put "no boxed gifts" on the invite and he said he'd pass it on but she would probably do it anyway. She did. Not even on an insert, just printed right on the beautiful invitation.  *cringe*

Re: "No Boxed Gifts"

• Options
    Good grief. Why are people so damned difficult?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Ew.  I typically don't bring boxed gifts to the actual wedding, we always give cash, but it's just gross to demand that.
  • Options
    Haha :-) I'm off the hook since we're getting married within a week of one another, we decided not to exchange wedding gifts. 
  • Options
    LMc0322 said:

No boxed gifts? That is code for what we really need is a 6 foot tall metal rooster, right?

BEYONCE?

Edit: in case anyone has no idea what I'm talking about: http://thebloggess.com/2011/06/and-thats-why-you-should-learn-to-pick-your-battles/

My FMIL loves roosters and she would love that. Her house is covered in roosters and Farmall/International Tractors.

You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    I saw that rooster blog a year or so ago and was cracking up. I love fun people!  A similar game is how I ended up with this ceramic donkey. I dress him up for occasions and holidays in my classroom. Here we are on my birthday several years ago:

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Love Beyonce!

No boxed gifts could also be "code" for a donation to Heifer International.

How rude.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm confused, what does "No boxed gifts mean" and why would you put that on your invitation.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    I saw that rooster blog a year or so ago and was cracking up. I love fun people!  A similar game is how I ended up with this ceramic donkey. I dress him up for occasions and holidays in my classroom. Here we are on my birthday several years ago:

He's beautiful!  The writer of that blog is also obsessed with taxidermy.  She has loads of dead animals with names and weird outfits.  It's slightly disturbing and also hilarious.image
  • Options
    I'm confused, what does "No boxed gifts mean" and why would you put that on your invitation.
    It means MONEY! GIVEUSIT!
  • Options

I'm pretty sure it's what a rude person thinks is the polite way of saying "Cash gifts only."
  • Options
    I'm assuming it means they want gift cards or money since they are moving out of the country shortly after the wedding. But, everybody knows that they are moving.
  • Options
    @AddieL73, you have dreamy hair.
  • Options
    I would just take it to mean they don't want the giant, ceramic, non-returnable rooster in a box. Just leave it unwrapped. Oh, and bring it to the wedding so everyone can see the lovely gift you got.

Nooo, wrap it in cellophane! Like those showers that everyone always raves about!
  • Options
    misshart00 said:
    I would just take it to mean they don't want the giant, ceramic, non-returnable rooster in a box. Just leave it unwrapped. Oh, and bring it to the wedding so everyone can see the lovely gift you got.
    And then hopefully the day of coordinator mistakes it for a wedding decoration and places it at the altar.
  • Options
    LMc0322 said:

Nooo, wrap it in cellophane! Like those showers that everyone always raves about!
    Good idea. Cellophane is not a box.
  • Options
    For a minute I was thinking, "I really hope she's not on here." But then I realized that if she was, she wouldn't be making such a huge etiquette blunder. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 5-10 threads about what to do about gifts when you are moving.
  • Options
    zoberg said:
    Awww,thanks, Zo! 
  • Options
    bunni727bunni727 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    You should get them towels that say "Knock, knock motherfucker," to go with Beyonce.

There's a taxidermy deer at my parents house. when I was little, I would brush his hair. In more recent years, I've taken to dressing it up for Halloween.

ETA: For reals? I thought you guys had edited your posts to say "no no word" to be facetious and play with the censor. It actually inserts "no no word" on its own?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    bunni727 said:

ETA: For reals? I thought you guys had edited your posts to say "no no word" to be facetious and play with the censor. It actually insersts "no no word" on it's own?

Uh, seriously? I assumed the same.  "No no word"? What are we, six years old?
  • Options
    Salsera29Salsera29 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    fuck

Just checking. Wow. 

ETA: I swear this is it then I'm done playing...but here are George Carlin's seven words you can't say on TK:

Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker and tits
  • Options
    I'm so glad I opened this thread and got to learn about Beyoncé.
  • Options
    I just read the whole chicken Beyonce story twice...I found it hilarious!

Anyways..the "No boxed gift" wow. But at least you tried!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    zoberg said:
    My thoughts exactly
    Kate61487 said:
    I'm so glad I opened this thread and got to learn about Beyoncé.
    And so true. I was literally crying I was trying so hard not to laugh at my desk.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I avoided this thread all morning because of the title, and almost missed out. That'll teach me.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    Salsera29 said:

fuck

Just checking. Wow. 

ETA: I swear this is it then I'm done playing...but here are George Carlin's seven words you can't say on TK:

Shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker and tits
    At least we can still say tits! Fuck yeah! (hee hee, this is fun)

Also, when I went to quote it, I could see your words.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    keochankeochan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I just got weird looks from my supervisors cause I couldn't stop laughing while reading about Beyoncé. I want one. 
  • Options
    You mean if I get an invite like that it doesn't mean they want pink flamingos?
  • Options
    Salsera29 said:
    Just got the invite to male BF's wedding. I TOLD him to tell FI not to put "no boxed gifts" on the invite and he said he'd pass it on but she would probably do it anyway. She did. Not even on an insert, just printed right on the beautiful invitation.  *cringe*
    If someone had that on the invitation, I'd just put it in a trash bag.  Hey, you said "no boxed gifts..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards