Wedding Party
Options

Very young Ring Bearer

Neither my fiance or I have any young boys (brothers, cousins, etc) in our family, so we asked a couple that we are friends with if they would allow their son to be our ring bearer. Both the guy and the girl are very good friends of ours and their son is absolutely adorable, and we are planning on the parents to be in our wedding party. However, their son will be just over two years old when we get married next year. I have been to several weddings with kids this young in the wedding party (be they ring bearer or flower girl), but I was wondering what everyone had thoughts on as to how we actually get him down the aisle? Would it be appropriate to let him go down the aisle with his parents when they go down the aisle? 

Re: Very young Ring Bearer

• Options
    If you think he will be comfortable doing it at all, I would have his parents walk with him. It could be overwhelming for such a little one, so having them there will be reassuring for him.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I would suggest going down the aisle with one or both parents.
    At my brother's wedding, my nephew was 3, but the flower girls were older, so they just walked all  together and he was fine.  It depends on the child as well - my nephew is very outgoing and didn't mind the attention. 

• Options
    I agree with Retread. I am not a fan of kids in weddings who are too little to know what's going on. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    If they're too young to walk down the aisle on their own, they're too young to be in the ceremony.
  • Options

I agree that he probably shouldn't have been asked in the first place - in part because he's too young and in part because it sounds like you're not even really close to him and you just picked him b/c you "needed" one (which you don't)

But since you've already asked him / his parents he's in it now.  Walking down with his parents is fine.  You could also roll the dice and just see if he'll walk down on his own (towards mom/dad at the end) and if he doesn't, he doesn't, oh well.

• Options
    I would just give it a try and see if he walks down the aisle. If not, I think the parents should be ready to quickly remove him. He can still have the ring bearer title if he doesn't walk down the aisle. Letting him go down the aisle with his parents was also a great suggestion. He might not understand what he is supposed to do otherwise. In this situation, I'd also have someone on the ready in case he started freaking out or didn't want to walk down the aisle.

Two-year-olds are very unpredictable. I'd try to avoid something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gEiKl8JD3Y
  • Options

Can he walk with the flower girl?  (if there is one).  Other than parents, I can't think of any other options.

We have a ring bearer that'll be 2 3/4 for the wedding.  Having a 2 year old RB doesn't necessarily have to end in disaster, it just depends on the child.  Our RB is actually very mature for a 2 year old, it's very impressive.  But we're also having a second RB (my nephew) who turns 6 next week, and they'll be walking together. I don't anticipate any issues, but with the two of them there it'll be fine. Then again if my nephew was 2 years old for our wedding, I would NOT have asked him to be our RB.  It really depends on the child, so I don't think that you're ridiculous for having a two year old.

• Options
    We understand that he is very young, but he is a fairly well behaved little boy and his parents are some of our best friends. My fiance has a daughter from a previous marriage and she will be 6 in September and has already been in multiple friends' weddings, even as a 2 and 3 year old. If for some reason something comes up that he cannot or won't go down the aisle, neither my fiance or I will be offended, and we know his parents won't make a big deal out of it either. We know it is a little ways out so we will just play it by ear, I just wanted to get a little bit of an idea of what other people thought. Thank you all for your comments.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards