October 2013 Weddings
Options

5 months out and Im ready to lose it. (VENT)

I have been relatively calm through out the past, nearly two years, of planning. I have dealt with everyones opinions and both my mother and FMIL acting as if this is their wedding and not mine. I have accomidated people price points for dresses, and even adjusted if a bridesmaid didnt  like a color or the dress in general. However, I am ready to completely lose it on the next person who decides that my opinions or choices do not matter.

Let me put a disclaimer in here that I do not particularly like my FMIL. She is extremely passive aggressive and whenever FI and I are with her she is always constantly touching him... like during dinner she we put her hand on his, or randomly come up and rub his back all the time. Its extremely odd for me to watch. She also seems to think she comes before me when it comes to FI and is constantly playing games with me.

First, I went to a wedding in November where the mothers of the wedding were in matching colors. I thought they looked AWESOME! So I told my mother and FMIL I would like them in the same color. My mother wanted chocolate, so that was going to be the color. My FMIL gave me a bit of a hard time so I asked my mother if burgundy would be ok. My FMIl also insisted on getting her dress before my mother. I went with my FMIL to look at dresses. She liked a certain dress that didnt come in brown OR Burgundy. She pulled out a swatch that it came in called merlot, this was completely and utterly purple. I told her then that I didnt not like the color and I would prefer her not to get the dress in purple bc my mother would never wear purple, i hate purple, and theres not a stitch of purple in the wedding. A few weeks later we were all out to dinner and she mentioned she ordered her dress. Shockingly, I said what did you get and she said the merlot dress. My reaction was "the purple dress?" and i just kept my mouth shut and went home pretty pissed.

Then I had my bridesmaid go out and buy the wrong shoe while my other bridesmaids bought the shoes already. So we changed the shoe and my moh couldnt find her reciept so i bought her the new shoe bc I felt bad and didnt want her to have to buy two freaking pairs of shoes. After that was done, I have two jr bridesmaids so i wanted to find  shoe that matched in color, I found exactly 1 bc its a glittery gold shoe. It took me two days to find this match. i found it listed for 52.50, the bridesmaids shoes were 52.99. One of the jr bridesmaids mothers found the shoe for 75, and i guess at the time the bridesmaids shoe had gone on clearence for 27. She was upset bc the junior bridesmaid shoe was 75 and the bridesmaid shoe was 27..... except none of the girls paid 27 for the shoe, they paid 52.99. i think told her that and posted a link to her daughters shoe at 52.50 and I havent even heard back from her. I am so over arguing over a stupid shoe. Her daughter is not going to look right if she is the only one in different shoes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 5 months out and Im ready to lose it. (VENT)

• Options

I have been relatively calm through out the past, nearly two years, of planning. I have dealt with everyones opinions and both my mother and FMIL acting as if this is their wedding and not mine. I have accomidated people price points for dresses, and even adjusted if a bridesmaid didnt  like a color or the dress in general. However, I am ready to completely lose it on the next person who decides that my opinions or choices do not matter.

Let me put a disclaimer in here that I do not particularly like my FMIL. She is extremely passive aggressive and whenever FI and I are with her she is always constantly touching him... like during dinner she we put her hand on his, or randomly come up and rub his back all the time. Its extremely odd for me to watch. She also seems to think she comes before me when it comes to FI and is constantly playing games with me.

First, I went to a wedding in November where the mothers of the wedding were in matching colors. I thought they looked AWESOME! So I told my mother and FMIL I would like them in the same color. My mother wanted chocolate, so that was going to be the color. My FMIL gave me a bit of a hard time so I asked my mother if burgundy would be ok. My FMIl also insisted on getting her dress before my mother. I went with my FMIL to look at dresses. She liked a certain dress that didnt come in brown OR Burgundy. She pulled out a swatch that it came in called merlot, this was completely and utterly purple. I told her then that I didnt not like the color and I would prefer her not to get the dress in purple bc my mother would never wear purple, i hate purple, and theres not a stitch of purple in the wedding. A few weeks later we were all out to dinner and she mentioned she ordered her dress. Shockingly, I said what did you get and she said the merlot dress. My reaction was "the purple dress?" and i just kept my mouth shut and went home pretty pissed.

Then I had my bridesmaid go out and buy the wrong shoe while my other bridesmaids bought the shoes already. So we changed the shoe and my moh couldnt find her reciept so i bought her the new shoe bc I felt bad and didnt want her to have to buy two freaking pairs of shoes. After that was done, I have two jr bridesmaids so i wanted to find  shoe that matched in color, I found exactly 1 bc its a glittery gold shoe. It took me two days to find this match. i found it listed for 52.50, the bridesmaids shoes were 52.99. One of the jr bridesmaids mothers found the shoe for 75, and i guess at the time the bridesmaids shoe had gone on clearence for 27. She was upset bc the junior bridesmaid shoe was 75 and the bridesmaid shoe was 27..... except none of the girls paid 27 for the shoe, they paid 52.99. i think told her that and posted a link to her daughters shoe at 52.50 and I havent even heard back from her. I am so over arguing over a stupid shoe. Her daughter is not going to look right if she is the only one in different shoes.

1. You cannot dictate what the mothers wear. The only people you have a say on what they wear are the wedding party and that is only their dress/suits/tuxes. The mothers are adults and should have the right to any color or style of their choosing.

2. The BMs. If you told them exactly what shoe they needed to buy, you should have bought it, not them. Have you asked them if they could afford those particular shoes?

• Options

1. You cannot dictate what the mothers wear. The only people you have a say on what they wear are the wedding party and that is only their dress/suits/tuxes. The mothers are adults and should have the right to any color or style of their choosing.

2. The BMs. If you told them exactly what shoe they needed to buy, you should have bought it, not them. Have you asked them if they could afford those particular shoes?

So, then if i told them exactly what dress to wear should I have bought the dresses for them also? And yes, I always ask for a budget but no one ever gives me one.

As for what the mothers wear, I dont think I have ever had any bride tell me that they had nothing to do with the mothers dresses. Personally, I think the fact that im including them in the ceremony should dictate that I have a say in what they wear, bc I can simply say never mind to them being part of the ceremony. (Im sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but im seriously at the end of my rope here. I cant believe I have gotten to the point that I actually feel like I have no say in my own wedding.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You are putting way too much thought in to this. I hate to break it to you.

Mothers of the bride and grooms really shouldn't wear the same color. It's nice that you thought they might, but as soon as you found out your FMIL wanted to wear a different color, I would have dropped the entire "matching" idea. Let your mom wear what she wants to wear and let your FMIL wear what she wants to wear. It doesn't matter if the colors blend even - there probably won't be any pictures of them together (especially if both sides are not close.)

It is also really ridiculous to choose footwear for the bridal party. Your bridesmaids are adults, and can match a dress to a pair of shoes. If they all wear the same style of shoe, what does is matter. Are the dresses long? Then it matters even less. 

Each person should be able to pick a shoe based on their budget. They should be willing to buy a dress of your choosing (with their input or not) but anything beyond that is really up to them and not you. Their hair, makeup, shoes, accessories - etc. Unless you gift it all to them, you really shouldn't have a say.

I think you are trying to bend over backwards and are trying to make it harmonious, when you really just need to choose a dress for the BMs, suggest a shoe color (ex: gold sandals!, let them choose heel height) and go shopping with your mother only for a dress.  Everything else will fall into place.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013

So, then if i told them exactly what dress to wear should I have bought the dresses for them also? And yes, I always ask for a budget but no one ever gives me one.

As for what the mothers wear, I dont think I have ever had any bride tell me that they had nothing to do with the mothers dresses. Personally, I think the fact that im including them in the ceremony should dictate that I have a say in what they wear, bc I can simply say never mind to them being part of the ceremony. (Im sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but im seriously at the end of my rope here. I cant believe I have gotten to the point that I actually feel like I have no say in my own wedding.)

Sorry but Stina is right.  You can tell them what dress to wear but you cannot dictate what shoe/accessory to wear unless you are paying for it.  

Second, you cannot tell the moms how to dress since they are not in the bridal party.

Finally, these are the things that I file under "who gives a sh!t?"  The sooner you stop trying to control the smallest details, the easier this process will be.  No one will notice if your moms aren't matching.  

• Options

See my point #1. I stated...The only people you have a say on what they wear are the wedding party and that is only their dress/suits/tuxes.

• Options
    OP just breathe.  You are at the point we all hit when the little things are starting to get to you. 

Just let the mothers choose whatever dress works for them.  I'm not involved in what my MIL wears, she is a grown woman and choose what looks good on her.  I can assume she won't pick white but if she did oh well.  I'm only involved with what my mom is wearing cause we are gonna make a semi fun day out of shopping for her, and I'm going to surprise her by buying her whatever shoes she wants as part of her birthday present.  

I think making your girls buy matching shoes is nuts too personally.  My girls asked me about shoes and all I said was black, gray or silver would work best.  That way they can find a shoe they are comfortable with.  I wear high heels all the time, but most people don't so I wouldn't force someone to if they don't.  If that makes sense.

Again just take a deep breath and breathe.  
  • Options
    Agree with PP 100%. You are only going to make things WORSE with your FMIL and bridal party if you continue to act this way. Micromanaging things like this is only going to make things more stressful on you and make the people involved with your wedding want to meet your demands even less.
    For my bridal party, I have literally asked them for two things that you can say i have "demanded" a dress and a pair of shoes. I have no other "demands" of them. Usually the bridesmaids throw a bridal shower with the MOB, I told them not to worry about it.... Ive actually gone above and beyond trying to make life easier for them, which is another reason I chose the shoes.... Bc all of the bridesmaids work and have no time ti go look for a shoe. I picked it so that they could just order it online. Because they all were wearing the same shoe, it would look stupid for the two jr bridesmaids to not match, so i found a suitable shoe for them to match. Of my entire bridal party, they all PREFERED me to pick a shoe out rather than them have to coordinate or take the time out to find their own shoes, except one stay at home mother.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Stop, take a breath and ask yourself what really matters at the end of the day.  What is the point of having a wedding? 

I don't know about you, but for me it's getting to marry the love of my life & my best friend.  So if nothing else happens right on October 26th other than that, I see it as a success regardless.

My FMIL doesn't dress up, she may end up wearing jeans to my wedding.  Did it irk me at first, absolutely, but then I thought about it some more.  What does it matter? Yes there will be some pictures of her in whatever she chooses to wear, but she won't be in all of the pictures. In the end, it's not worth the stress.

Sorry to be blunt, but get over it.  I guarantee that more things can and probably will go "wrong" before and on the big day.  If in the end your FMIL wearing purple is your biggest problem, then you made out really well.
  • Options

If my FMIL was nice to me and treated me normally, I dont think this would be bothering me as much at all. However, She orginally asked me what i wanted her to wear and then went ahead and chose something different. The worst part is, I knew she would do it anyway because she tries to upset me whenever she gets the chance. My own deacon has made a comment about how passive aggressive my FMIL is.

I understand how you all feel about matching shoes and ettiquette and all that but at this moment in time Im having a total meltdown because ive been very accomadating through out the time weve been planning this wedding. I try and make it easier on everyone, ask a budget, and then it ends up being thrown back in my face. It seriously has me regretting planning this even and wondering why the hell we just didnt go to vegas or do a small destination wedding.

I mean, his mother invited two offices worth of her co-workers (she works at two places), I told her it was ok then when I started doing a general seating chart to get an idea of table names (bc our tables are themed), she got mad at me and told me all of her co-workers cant be at one table, they have to be split into the two offices. I only have 18, They fit perfectly at a table for 12.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

If my FMIL was nice to me and treated me normally, I dont think this would be bothering me as much at all. However, She orginally asked me what i wanted her to wear and then went ahead and chose something different. The worst part is, I knew she would do it anyway because she tries to upset me whenever she gets the chance. My own deacon has made a comment about how passive aggressive my FMIL is.

I understand how you all feel about matching shoes and ettiquette and all that but at this moment in time Im having a total meltdown because ive been very accomadating through out the time weve been planning this wedding. I try and make it easier on everyone, ask a budget, and then it ends up being thrown back in my face. It seriously has me regretting planning this even and wondering why the hell we just didnt go to vegas or do a small destination wedding.

I mean, his mother invited two offices worth of her co-workers (she works at two places), I told her it was ok then when I started doing a general seating chart to get an idea of table names (bc our tables are themed), she got mad at me and told me all of her co-workers cant be at one table, they have to be split into the two offices. I only have 18, They fit perfectly at a table for 12.

I've bolded what is still the problem and you are not seeing as a problem. You don't need to "try to be accommodating." You don't need to get involved. 

As mentioned, the day is about you and FI. There are so many other details for you to choose. Don't get involved in everything else. You choose the dress. The bridal party can then choose shoes. And you say they all work - maybe they want to wear something they already own. Maybe not. But they have probably been to formal events before and know they will need to wear shoes. It's May - they have so much time. Don't force them to buy something now. 

You then twist it by saying that you can't make choices for your own wedding - but by opening and getting others involved and then they give an opinion, you then change your original thoughts. Your mom wanted to wear a specific color? Let her. You don't need to say anything more to FMIL other than "My mom wants to wear chocolate." End of story. Don't change your mom's wardrobe because FMIL likes purple!

Guest lists and seating charts are another whole issue - but if you let everyone else make decisions for themselves, then the only thing you will have to do with FMIL is table seating for her guests. Or - you give her a mostly-filled-in seating chart (where you make a copy of it for yourself just in case she moves things) and the name of guests who are attending on her side. She can then arrange them how she sees fit and form them into tables. If she doesn't? Then you just place people anywhere. But you don't need to involve yourself where it gets to the  micromanaging level.

I also want to point out that I completely lost a friendship over wedding shoes. Granted, she was crazy anyway...but she dictated shoes, told us where to go and she knew they didn't have my size (a 10.) I told her this, bought the same style in a different heel (higher) and she flipped shit. Said I was too tall, stick out like a sore thumb, don't understand the stress of planning a wedding, etc. Turns out she bought the 10 for her cousin (who was really a size 8) and had them on her dining room table the whole time. Nice. Buy the size I need, call me awful, and meanwhile she has them and they never were used cause they were the wrong size? Can't waste my time with that kind of crazy. True colors come out in planning when people go nuts. Don't do that to your girls.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options

Did you see the part where I stated my girls asked me to pick their shoes out for them so that they didnt need to be bothered? Should I have said no? Should I have said screw it your on your own.?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

On a different note... do we have the same FMIL? 

Mine sees me as a huge threat toward her relationship with her son (which I don't need to ruin, she does it well enough on her own). She's all over him when we are both around, and tries to use cutesy nicknames from when he was 3. Annoying.

I just ignore it, and you should try to as well. GL!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shaylagirlshaylagirl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Briannasteve said:
    Usually the bridesmaids throw a bridal shower with the MOB, I told them not to worry about it.... Ive actually gone above and beyond trying to make life easier for them, which is another reason I chose the shoes.... Bc all of the bridesmaids work and have no time ti go look for a shoe. I picked it so that they could just order it online. Because they all were wearing the same shoe, it would look stupid for the two jr bridesmaids to not match, so i found a suitable shoe for them to match. Of my entire bridal party, they all PREFERED me to pick a shoe out rather than them have to coordinate or take the time out to find their own shoes, except one stay at home mother. 

Did you see the part where I stated my girls asked me to pick their shoes out for them so that they didnt need to be bothered? Should I have said no? Should I have said screw it your on your own.?

Okay, I'll go against the flow and say if the ALL wanted you to pick a shoe, then you're free and clear...ohhh, no wait, there was ONE person who wanted to pick their own.  You allowed your SAHM pick hers, right?  Right?  I bet you made the one person who wanted to pick hers buy "your" shoe.  You've contradicted yourself. 

Also, no, bridesmaids don't throw a bridal shower with the MOB; where did you get THAT from?  They are under NO obligation to do jack squat except show up and stand up with you at your wedding in what you've picked as clothing.  Footwear, accessories, etc are up for grabs. 

All of these super great ladies have given you GREAT advice; let go and let what will be, BE!

The "theme" of the day is your WEDDING!  The rest is just a party to celebrate it, and you're freaking out over all this trifling crapola that you're unnecessarily stressing yourself out.

Or, go with my method of planning; K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Honestly, that's how I'm getting through everything with a modicum of sanity.  I REFUSE to stress over if my BM or MOH's gown don't perfectly match my wedding gown.  I REFUSE to flip out because my MOH is wearing GOLD sandals and I'm wearing SILVER shoes. 

But I DO plan on celebrating our friendship of 20+ years by having her by my side on one of the most important days of my life.  And I invited my sister, who's been there for me through some harrowing times in my life to stand there with me on this day too. 

So, just stop freaking out over all the little stuff.

What's that cute little phrase; "Don't sweat the small stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."  Something like that.
  • Options
    ... mother of god.

• Options
    I applaud @Shaylagirl!  Much love for your response  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
     Usually the bridesmaids throw a bridal shower with the MOB, I told them not to worry about it....

Technically, the bridal party should throw you a shower and not the MOB of the bride. When the MOB throws a shower for her own daughter, it can be seen as gift grabby since she is hosting an event presuming guests will bring gifts.

I live in NJ as well, and I know that most brides have showers thrown by their mothers since they can get expensive. I think this has become accepted and is fairly common now. However, a simple shower with 15 friends at someone's house eating sandwiches and punch or a brunch with bagels and orange juice is completely acceptable and is something your friends could do that wouldn't require a lot of prep.

Again, don't get involved. Your argument is that your mom is hosting which puts less pressure on your girls, but it really isn't a strong argument.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    On MIL doing things to make you angry: it will only work for her IF it makes you angry. If you shrug it off or call out her passive aggression with simple, honest questions like "What do you mean by that?", she loses her power.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards