Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ok, Talk To Me About Cupcakes, Then

edited May 2013 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
So, our RSVPs are due tomorrow (and unless 68 people pour in tomorrow, I have a lot of phonecalls to make next week).

I have to let the baker know how many cupcakes to have. 

We have having four flavors. The baker said to only get maybe 20 extras. But. If we have around 175 people (what we are expecting), to only have 200 cupcakes seems weird. I'm sorry, but I'm that person who will take two. Then, there are others (Who ARE they?) who wouldn't take any. FI says to get 1.5 cupcakes per person. I feel like it should be more like 2. But I'm greedy.

How many do I tell this lady to make?

ETA: I'm also having a HUGE candy buffet and a HUGE cookie spread (enough for everyone to have one dozen cookies--I know it's insane, it was not my idea), if that matters here.

Re: Ok, Talk To Me About Cupcakes, Then

• Options
    daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    Are cupcakes the only dessert you are serving? Are they normal sized, or the crazy jumbo ones?

We had 95 guests, 100 normal sized cupcakes and 180 minis. At the end of the night we had 1 regular cupcake and about a dozen minis left.

If they are normal sized, I am willing to bet if you had 250 cupcakes you wouldn't have many left over. You can always get some take home boxes for leftovers.
  • Options
    daria24 said:
    Are cupcakes the only dessert you are serving? Are they normal sized, or the crazy jumbo ones? We had 95 guests, 100 normal sized cupcakes and 180 minis. At the end of the night we had 1 regular cupcake and about a dozen minis left. If they are normal sized, I am willing to bet if you had 250 cupcakes you wouldn't have many left over. You can always get some take home boxes for leftovers.
    They are normal sized, but we are also having a HUGE candy buffet and a HUGE cookie buffet (like enough for a dozen cookies per person--I know, it's ridiculous, but my mom did this). 

So. Does this change your answer? Imma edit my post to reflect that.
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    Hmm, the cookie buffet does change my answer. I think you would be OK with 200. I love cupcakes, but if there was a cookie buffet too I would just take one cupcake and then grab cookies.
  • Options
    daria24daria24 member
    Also I'll add that every wedding I've been to with cupcakes, I've only seen guests take one to start. People have been very courteous about waiting to see if there are "seconds" available, so I wouldn't be too stressed about people not getting a cupcake because people are hoarding them.
  • Options
    Domino04 said:
    So, our RSVPs are due tomorrow (and unless 68 people pour in tomorrow, I have a lot of phonecalls to make next week).

I have to let the baker know how many cupcakes to have. 

We have having four flavors. The baker said to only get maybe 20 extras. But. If we have around 175 people (what we are expecting), to only have 200 cupcakes seems weird. I'm sorry, but I'm that person who will take two. Then, there are others (Who ARE they?) who wouldn't take any. FI says to get 1.5 cupcakes per person. I feel like it should be more like 2. But I'm greedy.

How many do I tell this lady to make?

ETA: I'm also having a HUGE candy buffet and a HUGE cookie spread (enough for everyone to have one dozen cookies--I know it's insane, it was not my idea), if that matters here.
    I have no comment except: COOKIE TABLE! I am being forced to have a large one, too.
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Our baker recommended to us to order 1.5 x the number of guests for cupcakes. Since you are having a cookie bar as well, you probably won't need THAT many, but maybe still order 1.25 per person. That's just what I would do if the budget were there and I wasn't terribly worried about saving money on this. :)

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • Options
    I believe I have seen suggestions online before that when planning a party at your own house, you should have 1.5 cupcakes per person. However, with the added candy and cookie tables, I think you could get away with less - 1.25 or something of that sort. Personally, I'm not a cookie person, so I would totally be going for the extra cupcake!
  • Options
    libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2013
    We ordered 200 cupcakes for about 150 guests.  Our waitstaff served the cupcakes to tables, so we didn't have the issue of people grabbing two or three.  Then, we put leftover cupcakes on a table for people to take throughout the evening.  We had about a dozen left at the end of the night.  Since you are having a cookie bar in addition to the cupcakes, I would probably go with 1.25 per person.
  • Options
    I think that since you are having cookies, too, 200 should work for you. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I think 200 would be fine.  If I were a guest and you had candy and cookie tables, I'd skip the cake/cupcakes.
    Take it back!  Take it back!

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    AddieL73 said:
    I think 200 would be fine.  If I were a guest and you had candy and cookie tables, I'd skip the cake/cupcakes.
    Take it back!  Take it back!

She might take it back, but I second it.  Cookies all the way!  I guess I'm one of those insane guests that don't take any cupcakes.
    I agree with PP - if you have the cookies already, doing too many cupcakes might be a bit dangerous in terms of too much food.  1.25 per person seems to make sense. 

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I think 1.5 is reasonable. I would be one of those that wouldn't take a cupcake because I'm cupcake disabled. :p I can't eat one without a mess, so if I'm fancied up, not touching one.

Sorry Addie.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    OK, some of you are dead to me. 

• Options
    I think it also depends how much food you're having. If I'm at a lunch or heavy appetizer reception I'm more likely to have extra room for dessert, but if you're providing a full sit down or buffet dinner I would pick some candy and one cupcake (or no cupcake and a few cookies) knowing I wouldn't be able to eat that much dessert.
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    OK, some of you are dead to me. 

But......but....

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I would consider bumping the number of cupcakes to 204.  Yes it sounds like a weird number but 16 and 2/3 of a dozen cupcakes sounds a bit odd.  I know I certainly wouldn't want to make that many cupcakes and then have the batter for 4 more but not bake it, maybe if the baker for it would use those cupcakes in like the shop if they run one then it would be fine but I prefer working with even pan numbers.  So for my guest list I am figuring out the guest list then how many cupcakes it would take for 1.5 per person and then rounding to the nearest dozen or two (more for efficient baking purposes vs effort)

• Options
    EllaYoung said:
    150 DOZEN cookies? Is your mother INSANIUM IN THE CRANIUM? Damn,dude. My mom bakes cookies for Christmas like a madwoman, and even she would call it quits at that volume.
    Actually right now, we're at OVER that. Maybe 2,200 cookies? In our family, people say "what cookies should I make" and they bake cookies. I told my mom I did not want this to happen, because I have never ONCE made cookies for a wedding, and I wouldn't think to do it, but my mom's cousins are all doing about 10 dozen a piece, then my mom is ordering a bunch, and I am making some. 

I was uncomfortable with it, because it sounded pot luck, but we never asked, and people are insisting and just showing up at my work and my mom's work with cookies and instructions to freeze them (I have mexican wedding cookies on my desk at work right now). It's VERY weird to me.
  • Options
    I like the cookie/candy/cupcake debate, but I'm just one of those people who eats it all. Why choose?
  • Options
    Domino04 said:
    I like the cookie/candy/cupcake debate, but I'm just one of those people who eats it all. Why choose?
    See, people?  THIS is a woman I can snuggle up to. 
  • Options
    I agree with @domino04. I want all the choices. I don't want to decide.
  • Options
    Hmmmm......OK!
  • Options
    I'm another who won't eat cupcakes at a wedding. Actually I rarely eat them regardless. They're just too messy and have too much icing for my liking. Addie, will you still snuggle with me if I give you my cupcake so you can have 2?
    But thats the only good part of cake
  • Options
    snippet17 said:
    That is a boatload of cookies.  Does your venue let you have that many? I know ours will display up to 50 dozen for free and anymore we have to pay for it.  I think 200 cupcakes are fine with that many cookies.
    Our venue is letting us do whatever we want. We are going to start setting up the Wednesday beforehand, even.
  • Options

Peledreamsofrain said:

I think 1.5 is reasonable. I would be one of those that wouldn't take a cupcake because I'm cupcake disabled. :p I can't eat one without a mess, so if I'm fancied up, not touching one. Sorry Addie.

Have you tried tearing off the bottom and smooshing it on top to make a cupcake sammich? yummm cupcakes....

009.JPG 110.9K
  • Options
    Personally, I would not take two initially because I wouldn't count on there being enough to have more than one. Maybe after everyone gets one, take another, then when they're gone they're gone. I went to a wedding that had "cupcakes" (I don't know what friend made these, but they looked like cupcakes (or maybe it was muffins), but had a completely different texture, and were not even good--or cupcake tasting (or muffin tasting for that matter). My fiancé and I didn't even finish ours) that had so few that now I wonder if it was one per couple. There were obviously not enough to go around. 

I think everyone should only be taking one, and 20 extras is fine. As you said, there will definitely be people who aren't into sweets (those people I will NEVER understand. If I could, I'd have a 5 course meal of desserts) or are already full and will not take one.

I imagine the baker does this kind of thing a lot now and knows how many to serve. With a nice meal and a big candy and cookie buffet, no one will be mad for not getting 2+ cupcakes. They'll survive! Make sure everyone can have candy, cookie, cupcake, but they don't have to have a bunch of each.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! 200 it is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards