Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Found this yesterday

I ordered my invitations from Invitations by Dawn. They gave me good service and delivered my invites within a week, so I liked their facebook page.

I was browsing my newsfeed yesterday when I saw that Invitations by Dawn had posted the following photo:

What do you think of their advice?

I was taken back by the whole thing of "its your day, not theirs". So based on that, I found it to be terrible advice.
Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

Re: Found this yesterday

• Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper

It depends what you're applying their advice to...  At the end of the day, it IS the bride & grooms wedding day and as long as they're not breaking etiquette, they should do as they wish.  This can't be a blanketed statement, but I know in my planning process I've heard the two cents of people I don't care to hear from about things...but what do I care? It's mine and my fiancé's wedding day, not theirs.

One of the hardest life lessons people have to learn is that you can't please everyone all the time.  THAT is good advice and nobody should deny that...

• Options
    mlg78 said:

It depends what you're applying their advice to...  At the end of the day, it IS the bride & grooms wedding day and as long as they're not breaking etiquette, they should do as they wish.  This can't be a blanketed statement, but I know in my planning process I've heard the two cents of people I don't care to hear from about things...but what do I care? It's mine and my fiancé's wedding day, not theirs.

One of the hardest life lessons people have to learn is that you can't please everyone all the time.  THAT is good advice and nobody should deny that...

That's so true. While I agree that at the end of the day, it is the bride and groom's wedding day and not someone else's, they should try and host guests properly during the day. That's my take on it. The advice is not completely wrong. And for some reason when I first read it, I saw "day" instead of "wedding". My bad.

• Options
    Yeah, it depends on what you apply the advice to. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

As lon as you are not breaking etiquette and acting "diva" like, I agree.

I have had sooooooooo many people give opinions that it gets overwhelming. You definitely cannot please everyone

• Options
    I read it as "be kind", which means don't break etiquette, and don't try to please everyone, which a lot of brides try to do. I see it as:

Be kind: let your BMs have some input on dress style
    Your wedding: don't let them bulldoze you into pink tulle if you don't want that

Be kind: Have a chair for every butt
    Your wedding: If you can't afford the Chiavari chairs Mom wants, don't pay for them.
  • Options
    I read it as "be kind", which means don't break etiquette, and don't try to please everyone, which a lot of brides try to do. I see it as:

Be kind: let your BMs have some input on dress style
    Your wedding: don't let them bulldoze you into pink tulle if you don't want that

Be kind: Have a chair for every butt
    Your wedding: If you can't afford the Chiavari chairs Mom wants, don't pay for them.
    Ditto @wrigleyville, I read it that way too. You should be kind to your guests but you don't have to cater all of your choices to their specific tastes/likes/etc.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    swimmy1988swimmy1988 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all the input ladies!
    Haha I think I`ve been reading this website too much, because now I'm saying "that's against etiquette" a lot to myself, whether I'm browsing the internet or people trying to put their input into how our wedding should be. There hasn't been too many ideas brought up that were against etiquette - actually for the most part, people have let me plan the wedding on my own, but there was the odd time that I would have to decline an idea and explain why - such as the idea to replace my sister as a bridesmaid if she can't make it to the wedding due to her pregnancy with twins.
    It's a little over a month out, and she still is planning to be there at the wedding as a bridesmaid, and we even got her a maternity dress to wear, as the original bridesmaid dress she ordered only just fit. And she's supposed to grow a lot more in the next 5 weeks and the seams don't have much to work with in terms of alterations.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards