Getting in Shape
Options

The non-threadjacking Wedding Stressout Update (it's a long one!)

Okay, so now I know enough to be able to tell you the story ...

I get a phone call this morning from one of FI's uncle (whom I have never met). He's rsvp-ing yes to us (thank you for getting back to me!), and he wants to reserve a room at the lodge, but was told that we were reserving the rooms. So he called to say that he wanted one ...

Here's the problem:

The lodge accommodates 37 people, sleeping in every bed (even if they shared rooms). We were only accommodating bridal party there, since it's a private residence, and were providing a bus for all of the other guests (both pickup and drop off), so they didn't have to worry about DDs etc. FI's uncle wanted no part of this. He wanted a room (private) so that he could stay all night are party. 

I spoke to the owner (FI's cousin), because she tried to warn me that the call was coming. When we were talking, she told me that other family members were also insisting that they were reserving rooms there too - leaving no room for the people WE wanted to put there. 

FI is so disheartened; he wanted to get married at the lodge more than anything, but this stress in his family, made him decide that it wasn't worth it. So he spent all afternoon looking for another venue (with just over two and a half months to go). I told him that it didn't matter to me where we got married, just that we were husband and wife at the end of the day. If he still wanted to do it at the lodge, I would totally dust off my bitchy-pants and deal with the selfish people.

We lucked into a venue, but now have to notify everyone that the location has changed (because of a few selfish people), and revisit all of the plans we've made so far...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The non-threadjacking Wedding Stressout Update (it's a long one!)

• Options
    I am SO sorry Jenny.  That is the worst.  Why didn't the owner just say 'I'm sorry, all of the rooms are booked already.'? So much love to you guys!
    Anyway...Tell us about the new venue-I bet it will be amazing!

Anniversary
  • Options
    The owner is awesome, she just said that we were dealing with it and they were all reserved for out-of-town guests, but they weren't taking no for an answer...

FI has seen the venue - it's actually where his cousin (the lodge owner) had her wedding a few years back. It holds a couple of hundred, so there's lots of space, they'll let us use our own caterer (not normal, but they understand that we've already paid for it), and they have a beautiful garden out back which we can get married in if we want.

I don't know what it looks like, the wife of a GM was there for a wedding not long ago and said it was a good choice, so that's what we'll go with. At this point, all I care about is getting married. I don't care where. DD was very upset however. She cried t break her heart because she wanted the wedding to be at the lodge.

It's really a hiccup in our plan, but we're rolling with it. It just blows my mind how selfish some people can be. We're trying to host a party and be considerate of everyone: the people who are driving 8 hours to be with us AND the people who live 20 minutes away. We thought that spending almost a thousand dollars on a bus to transport them was a nice thing to do, but apparently not.

*sigh
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aw, well, I'm glad the owner was doing her part.  I am so so sorry for FI and DD being so upset.  Maybe you could still find a way to incorporate the Lodge into part of the day, something fun you could plan for them? (sort of a 'no one has to know' immediate family thing?) Just a thought, though I know how busy the big day can be!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Well Lobsters, we'll be staying there for a few nights before the wedding anyway, so we were already talking to FI's cousin about maybe having a bbq and party the night before.

FI is doing really well with it, actually. He's looking at the positive side of it; now we have a better venue if the weather is bad (which of course it won't be - I put in my order for sunshine already!)

DD will come around. She's full-on into puberty, and her hormones are ruling these days. She'll still get her time on the lake, we just won't be having the wedding night bonfire and dancing under the stars. We'll just have to do that the night before!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Way to be so upbeat about it, Jenny!  You're amazing to be able to move straight into action- DD is so lucky to have you as a role model in these types of situations. No doubt she'll have the same skills as she gets a bit older.  I don't envy you while she's in this phase :)

That sounds like an AMAZING pre-wedding night!  Can't wait for you to AW tons of pictures! :D
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Omgosh Jenny! That is nuts. I am so sorry that people are being big weenies to you guys, but I am also so impressed that you just put on your problem solving pants and dealt with it... I would definitely be crying in my soup for a few days.

You're going to have a wonderful wedding no matter where you are, and kudos to you for emphasizing that the important part is that you're going to end up married at the end of it all.

Love & hugs!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! There's really nothing to do but deal with it and move on. The hardest part is that we won't get to see the venue (sorry, no pics) until we get to the island, likely the week before the wedding. 

The hardest part is that now we've moved it further away from a lot of our family again, to a smaller centre (instead of being between a larger centre and this smaller one). There aren't a lot of hotels, so now we're risking more of our family not being able to find accommodations, unless they're willing to drive over an hour in the wee small hours, after the party.

But the up side is that we now have a controlled venue: we have a better rain plan, but can still avail of the garden if we choose, they aren't penalizing us for bringing in our own caterer, our caterer is charging a small travel fee, but I paid that today, so we're once again squared away, and we don't have to worry about people getting home; there are enough taxis that can get to the venue - this wasn't possible for the other one.

So we're making the best of it, and moving forward! It's what we do! :-D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Aw Jenny, lots of love! Difficult relatives are the worst! Glad you were able to pull something together that still works for you both. Who knows, you might have ended up trading up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards