Wedding Party
Options

huge bridesmaid dresses

The bridal salon measured my bridesmaids and told them which size to order. At the appointment, my bridesmaids commented to the lady who measured that those sizes seemed awfully big, but she said that was typical of bridesmaids dresses and that's what they should order. They all went with the store's recommendations. I picked up the dresses on Friday and gave them to 3 of my bridesmaids yesterday. They have all called and texted saying their dresses are at least 2-3 sizes too big for them. I'm livid right now so it is probably good that they are closed Sundays so I can calm down and come up with a plan. What would you do? Do I have any case for making them order the right sizes and have them rushed at their expense?

Re: huge bridesmaid dresses

• Options
    Salons do this so they can also rake in the extra $$ for alterations.  You can bring it up with them, but they are unlikely to re-order for free.

If they tell you that you are out of luck, I'd personally just take the dresses to another alterationist.  Why reward them?
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks! I forgot to mention they don't do bridesmaid alterations there. They have to go elsewhere no matter what.
  • Options
    Thanks! I forgot to mention they don't do bridesmaid alterations there. They have to go elsewhere no matter what.

Most salons still have relationships with certain "preferred" seamstresses and will often get a referral fee or other kickbacks for people that they send to the seamstress.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    cofkelcofkel member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    This happened to me when I was in my friends wedding. I wear a 14-16 and the lady ordered me a 22. I told her I did not think it was correct and she legit shushed me and told me I didn't know what I was talking about. It comes in and it was HUGE. I could pull it on and off without undoing it. She then wanted me to pay 150 to have in altered (on a 200 dress) I said no thanks and took it to my own person who charged 50 because she felt bad for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I mentioned this story a few weeks back, but this also happened to me. After they took my measurements I watched the lady look at the chart and blatently go up a size. Since I was able to see the chart from where I was standing I argued with her that I wanted the size down that actually matched the numbers she just took. I ended up leaving and ordering online in the size I wanted (which she was very upset about since "they took so much time to measure me"...)

Anniversary
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I mentioned this story a few weeks back, but this also happened to me. After they took my measurements I watched the lady look at the chart and blatently go up a size. Since I was able to see the chart from where I was standing I argued with her that I wanted the size down that actually matched the numbers she just took. I ended up leaving and ordering online in the size I wanted (which she was very upset about since "they took so much time to measure me"...)
    This. I have always purchased my bridesmaids dresses online to avoid the hassle and upcharges of bridal salons. When it comes time to talk to the bride about our budgets/style preferences, I always let her know that I prefer an online purchase option due to my busy work schedule. They always oblige! Little do they know, I often find the dress on Ebay or Craigslist for a big discount and have it dry cleaned.
  • Options
    They tried to do this to me when I ordered my BM dress for my sister's wedding.  I measured 1/4" too big in the hips for the smaller size and they tried forcing me to order the larger size.  I argued with them for 5 minutes about how the dress had a full skirt, so 1/4" difference in my hips wouldn't matter.  But of course they tried pushing the whole, "well our alteration department can size everything down for you" bull.  I ended up ordering it from somewhere else.

Anniversary
  • Options
    AJuliaNJAJuliaNJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    I called the store today and they kept insisting this was normal. They said dresses are always ordered a little bigger to allow for alterations. I of course argued that it is not "normal" for the dress to completely drop to the floor when zippered AND with the girl wearing another outfit underneath. These dresses are not just sized up so that it fits the largest part of your measurements; they are multiple sizes too big. She asked for photos so they are each going to send a photo of their dress on them. I hope they can at least help out with the alterations. They insisted that we ordered these sizes even when we questioned them, so I feel they should be a part of the solution.
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

This is why I love a local salon where I got a dress for my sister's wedding.  The lady was so sweet-she actually showed me my measurements and the designer's size chart and since I was kind of between sizes, I told her which I was comfortable ordering (the smaller size). The dress came in fitting perfectly and didn't need any alterations.

Sorry you're experiencing this, I hope they do something to make it right.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards