Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Outdoor Ceremony--How important is the decor?

I haven't decided on any ceremony decor yet...or if we are even going to have ceremony decor. How important to do you think it is? How important is an aisle runner? This pic is a pic I kind of "stole" from some someone else's wedding (it was in the scrap book at my venue so I took a picture of the picture to give myself a visual of the space when I start to plan set up.) Our chairs will be set up the same way. Other than that...I got nothin'. Suggestions? Bridal party will be standing right on the steps for the ceremony (towards the bottom). We are doing the Anam Cara (as our pastor calls it) instead of the unity candle, so we will for sure have a small table with a bottle of wine and a chalice for that purpose. We were thinking of getting some fake flowers at Michael's and making big bouquets to secure to the posts at the top, as seen in the second picture I "stole".

PitaPata Dog tickers

Re: Outdoor Ceremony--How important is the decor?

• I think it's beautiful with or without decor. I like the simple flower arrangements in the picture but I'd have to keep myself in check not to do "one more thing". My one more thing usually involves another one and then another one and then I'm over decorated, over budget and over tired.
    I don't think an aisle runner is important but I know that with my family, being outside, they may feel more free to move around and some sort of aisle markers might be good in that case.
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks for the advice! I see my pictures disappeared--did they disappear for everyone else or is it my computer being dumb? Hmm, I may have potentially violated TOS by admitting that they weren't my pictures...but hey, they were in a public scrap book so it's not like I went into someone's home and did this, lol.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  •  The pictures show up for me!  I would definitely skip the aisle runner. Don't try to do too much. The flowers might be a nice touch. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • skip the runner

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Thanks! I love getting the "Skip it" and "don't do too much" answers because I'm terrible at decorating and it stresses me out. So flowers it is!

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • edited May 2013
    Ceremony decor is not very important if you are having your ceremony in a place that is already beautiful- like yours. Whether it's indoors or out, if you're having the ceremony in a aesthetically pleasing place, then ceremony decor becomes pretty low on the priority list. When your ceremony is in a more plain or simple location, then putting a little effort into your ceremony decor really dresses up the space and makes it perfect for your ceremony.

An aisle runner is unnecessary. You can use fake or real flower petals to line the aisle if your venue allows it and you wish- or- better yet in my opinion- you can use simple planters- you can use as little as one or two to frame the area where you will be standing or you can add a few more if you want them to be spaced down the aisle. (I'll attach a photo of a burlap bag planter). There are lots of ideas for planters that are super cheap and cute and can be a nice touch if you think you need it. This is similar to your idea of hanging two flower arrangements which I think is a great idea. You can also have a vase or bud vase, or mason jar with a few simple blooms in them on the table with you. You can also have a small framed sign on the table or near the table with a saying that you like or with a big letter of your new last initial (assuming you're changing your name). It is easy enough to add something small and decorative to the table like a sign, a plant, or you can't go wrong with flowers.
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I am a huge fan of baby's breath bundles and it is inexpensive. It is a beautiful setting and remember less is more! Good luck!
  • I am also having an outdoor ceremony, but ours is in a garden. I think aisle runners outside are totally unnecessary.  We are just having mason jars filled with flowers on every other row of seats, and a simple arch of birch branches with a swag of flowers. Honestly, I'm even thinking about cutting the aisle flowers at this point!
  • Depending on the time of day you are having your ceremony, I think antique lanterns with candles inside would be a lovely and unique alternative to flowers, and they would work really well with the brick architecture of your venue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards