Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Honeymoon woes

So, my FIL have generously donated their RCI points for our honeymoon. Which is great and all, but our HM locations are limited because I swear everyplace I pick (mostly in Hawaii and Mexico) are unavailable or the all inclusive fees are outrageous. I have kind of decided that in Mexico I want Playa Del Carmen, and Hawaii seems like it will be too expensive. I'm not looking for advice, just a little sympathy. It's been rough. :(

If I can't find something soon with RCI, I am moving onto cheap carribbean, even if we get an awesome deal, it will hurt our FIL feeling that we didn't use their "gift" and then we have to pay for the whole thing. bah. just frustrating.
RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: Honeymoon woes

• Options
    edited December 2011

We went to Cancun and loved it.
    Playa del Carmen is fairly small and most likely will be difficult to find something. Maybe expanding your options is a good idea.

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to say, I've been staying away from Cancun because we are not really "going out" people, we'd rather just sit on the beach all day, have a good dinner, drink a few cocktails, etc. but, in my head all I can picture with Cancun (especially in May) is spring break, beer bongs and foam parties. Am I crazy?!?!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you try looking at adult only resorts?  Or the Riviera Maya?  We went there this past summer for a family vacation and it was really nice!

Sending you good luck vibes that something works out! What about Cozumel? My parents rave about it, although they went for scuba diving, so I'm not sure of the island itself.
    Favorite Thing About Fall- Fall Foods, apple pie, pumpkin cookies, apple cider... YUM!

Planning Bio

• Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol about your previous comment!

I'm so sorry to hear that it isn't working out for you! Have you thought of any other spots that you can use the RCI points besides Hawaii and Mexico? What about the west coast of Mexico? Cabo is FABULOUS and amazingly beautiful! I'm not all that familiar with RCI but maybe if you look at some other options you will find something you love! There are some beautiful islands in the Carribbean that are great -not the norm - HM spots like Costa Rica, St. Lucia, Aruba, St. Thomas... and the list goes on. The good news is that you have a lifetime together to explore all these other places that you want to go :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought about Cozumel (and a resort, I loved was unavailable) but it doesn't seem like the beaches are that great, and that is a must have.

I thought about in Cancun, the adults only, but I still picture the beerbongs since college kids are technically adults.
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Cancun numerous times and the last visit was with FI and on that trip we didn't do any of the party scene. (For the record though, I've never been into the crazy Cancun party type scene). We did exactly what you described in wanting-we were at the beach during the day, and at night we either ate at our hotel or went off-site to a restaurant, had cocktails at hotel's bars. We also took day trips down to Tulum and Isla Mujeres. We had a fabulous time. We stayed at a hotel that was almost at the end of the hotel zone so it was def. more quiet and secluded as we weren't right in the busier areas where there's tons of clubs, mobs of drunken revelers, etc. If you maybe stay at an AI where the rates are dirt cheap, yes you'll probably encounter the college drinking crowd more so than at a place where rates are more $$$. I think Cancun can be fabulous spot for a hm, it's what you make of it and also the amount of research you put into it too!
    :)
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_honeymoon-woes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:7f80e53b-b4a7-4ee2-b140-dd18fde3dc91Post:2f57f10a-953f-4e7d-be24-25c30606a00e">Re: Honeymoon woes</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought about Cozumel (and a resort, I loved was unavailable) but it doesn't seem like the beaches are that great, and that is a must have. <strong>I thought about in Cancun, the adults only, but I still picture the beerbongs since college kids are technically adults.
    </strong>Posted by jlbaxter33[/QUOTE]

No clue where you got that image.
    We went to an Adults-Only AI. It was fantastic. We layed in the beach all day and had nice dinners at night.

The party scene is usually not in the resorts themselves, but at the clubs outside of the resorts, and they are uber expensive. There isn't really that kind of party scene at any of the resorts.

And, I would definitely go for an Adults-Only.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we felt the same way as you about cancun, so we stayed away. we went to riveria maya for our HM and stayed at secrets capri. it was nice. we could tell our neighbors enjoyed partying until 2am though..every night we would hear them come back to the room and the girl clicking around the room in her heels..lol. but that was as noisy as it got!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    jrsy - omg secrets capri riviera maya was number 3 on our choice list for hm, we would have been there together - lol, what a small world!!
    August Siggy Challenge- Wedding Must Have - sleigh cake stand Bio updated 04/05/10.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I have no advice, since we went on a cruise to the Bahamas, but I hope you find the perfect spot! At least you still have plenty of time to decide (depending on where you're going). FWIW, we didn't book our HM until 2 months before. HM plans were up in the air, so I wasn't sure if it was even still possible, but we got a great deal.

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Talum and Puerto Vallarta which were both gorgeous! Puerto Vallarta is on the Pacific Coast and the water isn't as clear as the Atlantic, but it was still really fun and beautiful! I've also been to Montego Bay, Jamaica, which is a spot that is high on my list for our HM. I LOVED Jamaica! The food was ridiculously good, the scenery and beach was gorgeous and the locals were really a lot of fun!

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jrsygrl10jrsygrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    briv-lol that's too funny!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We went to Hawaii and would highly recommend it. Accommodations in Hawaii are fairly cheap, it is the airfare and food that's a lot.

There is only one AI in Hawaii and it is super pricey and doesn't include alcohol, I think. So if you go that route, you can skip the AI option and just do everything on your own.

Love Hawaii!
  • Options
    CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Hawaii as well.  Our accommodations were not cheap though!!  We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and the Hyatt Regency in Maui.  When reviewing hotels on both islands the Hyatt was highly rated and was only about $20 more a night when compared to other hotels, i.e., sheraton, marriott, Hilton and the like.  We figured that we would rather "go big" and stay at a really awesome resort since it will be the first and only honeymoon either of us will be taking.  No regrets and worth every single penny!!  Also, Hawaii in general is pretty pricey, to eat, drink or to do any paid activity.  We would buy bottled water and soda to keep in our room but to buy an alcoholic drink it could run for a small glass about $12 and beer was $5 for a draft of bud light.  Crazy!!  But again, hawaii was absolutely perfect and again, I HIGHLY recommend it!!!
    image Ivory
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking in Mexico I would recommend Cozemel...it's really pretty there and it's a ncie little town with some things to do.  Playa de Carmen was a great place as well.  I think anywhere in Mexico would probobly be ok, it's just where you stay that will make it for you...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards