Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER - Bridal Partty Entrance/Intros

Hi All - My fiance and I were starting to fill out our paperwork for our DJ the other night and starting discussing the possibility of skipping the parents and bridal party introductions and just doing the bride and groom and going into our first dance. Both of our parents are divorced and remarried, we each have 6 people on our side and we have two ring bearers and a flower girl. So for the sake of time we were playing with this idea. I've seen other posts about it and know other people on the boards have done it but what was your bridal party's reaction to this?

One of my BP members sent me a txt today and asked if I had picked out the song they would be walking into. I guess she had some suggestions for me b/c I previously mentioned I was having trouble coming up with a song I liked.  I mentioned that we were actually thinking about skipping that part all together and she responded telling me that it's rude to do that and they should be introduced. Is this true?

Re: NER - Bridal Partty Entrance/Intros

• Options
    Our bridal party never expected to be introduced. If you don't want to do it, don't. I personally don't really see the point of the introductions. It's certainly not rude to skip it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

I should add that we are not doing programs. We ran into some unforseen car issues earlier this year so I had find certain places within the wedding budget to cut costs.

Does this change the answer?

• Options
    SJM - you do not need to introduce the party in programs or with a grand entrance. It doesn't matter that you're having programs. Don't worry about it.
  • Options
    dem068dem068 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    I think it is fine to skip it, but if your BP would be really upset if you didn't do, I would say just pick one of their suggested songs and let them be introduced.  Just tell you DJ to keep it moving along (I have been to some weddings were they introduce 2 BP members at at time and give them 2-3 min to do some sort of dance or whatever, it takes forever that way and no one really cares).  But the whole thing could be done in less than 5 min, and won't take anything away from your day and make your friends happy.  Not something that is worth causing hard feeling about
  • Options
    lizap77lizap77 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I agree with dem068. While it may not actually be rude to skip it, if it's something your BP wants to do I would just do it. If she was blunt enough to point it out, it sounds like she would be offended if you didn't do it.
  • Options
    Since when does the bridal party decide what will or will not take place at a couple's reception, though? 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Neither programs nor bridal party introductions are required and skipping them is not rude.

As a guest I really could care less who is in the bridal party.  Guests are there for the bride and groom not for finding out who the MOH is.

If you want to skip it then skip it.  Your friend will get over it.

• Options
    Your guests will figure out who is in the BP when they walk up the aisle. If you don't want to do the grand entrance, your BM will get over it.
  • Options
    lizap77lizap77 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2013

I didn't mean that the bridal party should run your reception. It just sounded like it was something you originally wanted to do anyway, and the bridal party is excited about it. It doesn't cost anything extra and she did the work in finding song ideas. It only takes an extra 5 minutes max out of the rest of your reception, and to me it's just one of those things that isn't worth a fight or hurt feelings. I'm trying to avoid the drama anywhere I can.

ETA: Although for the family it sounds complicated so I would personally skip the whole parents intro. People can figure out those connections pretty easily.

• Options
    SJM7538SJM7538 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    lizap77 said:

I didn't mean that the bridal party should run your reception. It just sounded like it was something you originally wanted to do anyway, and the bridal party is excited about it. It doesn't cost anything extra and she did the work in finding song ideas. It only takes an extra 5 minutes max out of the rest of your reception, and to me it's just one of those things that isn't worth a fight or hurt feelings. I'm trying to avoid the drama anywhere I can.

ETA: Although for the family it sounds complicated so I would personally skip the whole parents intro. People can figure out those connections pretty easily.

I don't think it was necesarrily that I wanted to do it. I just always assumed it was something that gets done at receptions because every wedding I've ever been to/in its been done. It was actually a post on another board here that got me thinking about it. The family situation isn't really complicated theres just four sets of parents. So even if we pair up the groomsmen and bridesmaids thats still 11 introductions (all parents, BMs, GMs and flower girls and ring bearers.) And then the time to line everyone up before hand as well.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I think I'm going to skip it.  It's not about not wanting to share the spotlight and thinking that it would take away from the day either. I don't care about that stuff.  I just really want to get to my reception as quickly as possible and enjoy every minute of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards